• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No buyout. Fired for cause

I will say I agree with OGB's assessment above as the likely timeline. My conclusion from all of this is exactly what my suspicion was all along: Currie is the anti-Wellman. He will take risks and aggressively get us to where we need to be--even if it means leaving carnage and potentially ruffling some feathers.

Great work John!
If he that's the lesson learned from his time in Rocky Top, then good.

He'll never be effective if he keeps letting himself get played by knaves like Fulmer.

If he that's the lesson learned from his time in Rocky Top, then good.

He'll never be effective if he keeps letting himself get played by knaves like Fulmer.

Currie was fired by Tennessee. Nothing anyone can do about that. That isn’t “getting played.” It means your bosses didn’t like what you were doing and chose a different directions. Big mistake by Tennessee too as history has now demonstrated. Jeremy Pruitt isn’t exactly Dave Clawson.

I don’t expect Currie gets fired by WF for such aggressive moves. But he might. If so, hats off to John. We need someone actually taking a stand against the horrific quick sand that has left us stuck as a basketball team for decades.

Yes, John smiles and praises Wellman and says all the right things. He needs to do that of course and does them well. And then he needs to continue unraveling the Wellman/Hatch basketball disasters by doing the right things to win.

Sometimes you need to imitate a duck. Appearing to be calmly gliding along the surface. Meanwhile, you are paddling furiously under the surface and out of sight.

Currie was fired by Tennessee. Nothing anyone can do about that. That isn’t “getting played.” It means your bosses didn’t like what you were doing and chose a different directions. Big mistake by Tennessee too as history has now demonstrated. Jeremy Pruitt isn’t exactly Dave Clawson.

I don’t expect Currie gets fired by WF for such aggressive moves. But he might. If so, hats off to John. We need someone actually taking a stand against the horrific quick sand that has left us stuck as a basketball team for decades.

Yes, John smiles and praises Wellman and says all the right things. He needs to do that of course and does them well. And then he needs to continue unraveling the Wellman/Hatch basketball disasters by doing the right things to win.

LOL, Pruitt isn't even greg Schiano or Mike Leach.

I still think impasse may be the jones manslaughter. I imagine jones called or texted manning to tell him he accidentally killed somebody and manning took a little too much time informing wellman. Currie wants to use that negotiate a cheap[er] buyout and manning's lawyers arguing that it happened way to long ago to use.

If this "fired for cause" statement is true, part of the extended review time for Danny may have been Wake legal counsel reviewing the details of the contract and whatever information Currie provided to support the position that Danny had not met all the terms of the contract. That may have been a difficult homework assignment.

ETA:

It is sometimes easier to find evidence for something that did happen (e.g. a student athlete transferred from Wake and completed his degree at another university) than it is to document that it didn't happen. That is, a student athlete transferred from Wake and did not complete degree requirements at any accredited college or university.

Last edited:
I still think impasse may be the jones manslaughter. I imagine jones called or texted manning to tell him he murdered somebody and manning took a little too much time informing wellman. Currie wants to use that negotiate a cheap[er] buyout and manning's lawyers arguing that it happened way to long ago to use.

FIFU

Looking at the potential that Manning was actually fired for cause and it was due to his lack of retaining/graduating players, it would be plausible. After looking up a few public coaching contracts, a lot of them have "failure to maintain a satisfactory APR" as an enumerated reason to fire the coach for cause.

WF's last reported APR for basketball (17-18 season) was 935 (10-20 percentile of all NCAA sports teams - so really horrific). 930 is the NCAA minimum before being liable for NCAA punishments. I could see WF having a higher required standard in a coaching contract and/or Manning actually fell below that threshold with the recent transfers. Without knowing the transferring players GPAs, it's hard to tell whether WF would get a "retention point offset" or not.

Would be hilarious is Chaundee, Manning apologist, set this in motion with his transfer

So maybe we were sitting at 930. Currie "lets slip" that Manning will be let go; Chaundee then leaves, dropping us below 930, and thus giving Currie the cause that he was lacking before. :jfk:

I transferred my fandom from Wake Forest basketball because of Manning, and my GPA was horrible. You are all welcome.

Unless you have actual evidence to back this up, you probably shouldn't be insinuating this.

Not if I use the word "may." Ease up, Francis. The whole thread for pages was theorizing the reason that Manning's lawyers and agent have been "negotiating" a buyout for six weeks. Pandemic, yes for sure. But that doesn't explain it anyway. There are likely some additional variables - I am spitballing like about a dozen or two dozen different posters above me ...

The way that the press release was worded I would say that the graduation rate issue is probably much more of a likelihood than anything related to Jones.

So maybe we were sitting at 930. Currie "lets slip" that Manning will be let go; Chaundee then leaves, dropping us below 930, and thus giving Currie the cause that he was lacking before. :jfk:

I don't think the APR calculation is that timely. I believe it is very retrospective and doesn't punish schools for transfers who leave in good academic standing as long as they remain in good academic standing and graduate in a timely manner from their new school(s). For instance, I don't think Keyshawn Woods transfer hurt Charlotte because he graduated from Wake on time. Similarly, because he left Wake with a degree, he did not have a negative impact on Wake's APR.

Other players who departed from Wake certainly did have negative impact on Wake's APR. Only those with access to the academic records know the details.

What we do know is that Wake has had a revolving door for players transferring out and in. Given the low publicly available APR, it would be reasonable to infer that some Wake basketball players have not been diligent in their studies. And one can infer that at least some transferring players were not in good academic standing when they left Wake.

It's not one guy. It's the totality of all the recruited players. Only one of Danny's regular recruited freshman has graduated from Wake under his watch. To be clear, I don't have Brandon Childress as a regular recruit. It is not an "arms length" transaction (to use a real estate transaction term) when your father is an assistant coach.

Jones literally didn’t commit murder and there’s almost no chance this is related to that at all.

Wake’s multi year APR in 2019 was 960 for basketball (worst of any Wake teams).

LOL, I guess the culture argument has come full circle. We might as well have been recruiting guys who can't hack it in the classroom all along.

LOL, I guess the culture argument has come full circle. We might as well have been recruiting guys who can't hack it in the classroom all along.

That culture argument was such a load of horseshit from the very beginning. Wellman just didn't like Dino. And he couldn't get rid of him for any legitimate reason so he made one up.

From some quick research guys that transfer (even in good academic standing) only get half the full credit for returning a player for the next year. So that explains the bad APR.

There are two parts to APR:
1. Eligibility
2. Retention

An eligibility point is given if the player remains eligible during that school year. A retention point is given if the player returns to school the next season or graduates on schedule. If a player transfers, the school loses the retention point unless the player transferring has a 2.6 GPA, which is more than the standard minimum GPA for eligibility (2.3).

Grade inflation!!! :)

It used to be 1.6 and 1.8 to be eligible.

A small excerpt from Currie's press conference.

With that said, when you look at those classes from 2016, 17 and 18, we signed 12 players out of high school in those three classes and have lost nine of them.

That kind of arithmetic Hatch may understand and not like. And not like it enough to be willing to do something to change it.

Back