• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No buyout. Fired for cause

So I guess our APR is only a little better than it would be if every single one of Manning's transfers had flunked out instead of transferring. But, if a couple of them had been great players before they flunked out . . .

I understand WF/Currie's strategy if WF did fire Manning for "cause".

Most importantly, this delays the timing of the buyout payment. So, by the time the buyout is resolved through the dispute process, WF will likely be in a better position to pay it.

Manning now has to start incurring his own attorneys fees which bites into his payout (unless there is a prevailing party clause allowing Manning, or WF, to recover their fees if they are forced to sue to enforce the agreement). Once Manning starts getting a monthly bill from his counsel, he may be more willing to compromise on the buyout. Even rich people hate paying attorneys and their ridiculous hourly fees.

There must be some semi-viable argument that Manning violated a term of his contract (APR is more likely than the Jones manslaughter issue, but WF is likely to throw the kitchen sink if this gets arbitrated/litigated), but it's probably a loser for WF if this goes to the a final decision by a court or an arbitrator.

If there's an arbitration clause, there is at least a chance that WF can keep details out of the public domain.

The end-game strategy is probably to reach a settlement with Manning at an amount lower than the buyout and which WF can pay over time. Manning wasn't going for that so this is an attempt to leverage that position.

These are the types of decisions that for profit companies make all of the time, but not the types of decisions that WF makes. Definite change in philosophy, and I kind of dig it.

With that said, WF will have a strong incentive to settle, because this is a bad look among the basketball fraternity. Everyone knows that WF pulled the trigger on Manning because the team sucked and for no other reason, and that is not a "cause" for firing under the spirit of the agreement.

Last edited:
I understand WF/Currie's strategy if WF did fire Manning for "cause".

Most importantly, this delays the timing of the buyout payment. So, by the time the buyout is resolved through the dispute process, WF will likely be in a better position to pay it.

Manning now has to start incurring his own attorneys fees which bites into his payout (unless there is a prevailing party clause allowing Manning, or WF, to recover their fees if they are forced to sue to enforce the agreement). Once Manning starts getting a monthly bill from his counsel, he may be more willing to compromise on the buyout. Even rich people hate paying attorneys and their ridiculous hourly fees.

There must be some semi-viable argument that Manning violated a term of his contract (APR is more likely than the Jones manslaughter issue, but WF is likely to throw the kitchen sink if this gets arbitrated/litigated), but it's probably a loser for WF if this goes to the a final decision by a court or an arbitrator.

If there's an arbitration clause, there is at least a chance that WF can keep details out of the public domain.

The end-game strategy is probably to reach a settlement with Manning at an amount lower than the buyout and which WF can pay over time. Manning wasn't going for that so this is an attempt to leverage that position.

These are the types of decisions that for profit companies make all of the time, but not the types of decisions that WF makes. Definite change in philosophy, and I kind of dig it.

With that said, WF will have a strong incentive to settle, because this is a bad look among the basketball fraternity. Everyone knows that WF pulled the trigger on Manning because the team sucked and for no other reason, and that is not a "cause" for firing under the spirit of the agreement.

I agreed with you 100% until you got to-Everyone knows that WF pulled the trigger on Manning because the team sucked and for no other reason,
Retention and team stability are keys to any Program's success so that to me was also a BIG reason. We sure sucked but we also never knew who we were going to suffer suckitude with.

Manning is going to get paid. Only a school like Wake which produces a shit ton of lawyers would spend a lot of time speculating about for cause/litigation judgment interest rates/arbitration clauses/forum selection. We’re paying the shitty ex-basketball coachfor Wellman’s malfeasance and the BOT’s lay down and take it attitude. Fuck Ron Wellman.

As others have said the time, money, and effort is being spent to throw his ass out the door and pay him down the road while affording the opportunity to get a new coach in the door.

As others have said the time, money, and effort is being spent to throw his ass out the door and pay him down the road while affording the opportunity to get a new coach in the door.

What eveidence is there that Manning did anything other than sit there and wait to get fired in a perfectly reasonable way ? He stated that he was still the coach and expected to be back, which is what you would expect him to do, considering he was still under contract.

I really wish Wellman would cough up a few million for DM’s buyout. That would make me despise him a tiny, tiny bit less.

Manning is going to get paid. Only a school like Wake which produces a shit ton of lawyers would spend a lot of time speculating about for cause/litigation judgment interest rates/arbitration clauses/forum selection. We’re paying the shitty ex-basketball coachfor Wellman’s malfeasance and the BOT’s lay down and take it attitude. Fuck Ron Wellman.

This is most likely the correct response. Wake has no one to blame but itself for this.

What eveidence is there that Manning did anything other than sit there and wait to get fired in a perfectly reasonable way ? He stated that he was still the coach and expected to be back, which is what you would expect him to do, considering he was still under contract.

Point? Most people say wake f'd up with the contract and it's not his fault. That's on ronnie and hatch. Pay the man. All I said was firing him for cause, unless there is some crazy behind the scene thing that occured (unlikely), this is a move that feels designed to get a new coach now and pay danny later.

I really wish Wellman would cough up a few million for DM’s buyout. That would make me despise him a tiny, tiny bit less.

Why? Wake messed this up. Full stop. They kept, paid, and enabled ronnie to go down this path. Hatch allowed it. The bot allowed it. Wake is all in on the bloat of an overpriced education. ronnie is a symptom as much as a cause.

He did keep recruiting.

If I recall, there were players suspended this past season. Rumors were academics. If some of the players who transferred out were not in good academic standing, that might have put an academic progress provision in play as a cause.

Academic failure is one of a few things I would expect Hatch to not tolerate.

Back