• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No buyout. Fired for cause

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
This post by BabyDeac deserves its own thread instead of being buried in a long ass salty pinned thread.

7d301e6b97b2defc99326b792e95d853.jpg

Fired “for cause” raises a....lot of questions about how coaching contracts are drafted overall.

This is almost the most amazing news ever. Only matters if we hit a home run.

Has a program not had to pay a buyout because the coach just sucked?? I'd love to hear these arguments.

No, there would have to be something other than that. Gotta think Currie was getting his support lined up to make this move.

A quick look at some law review articles on the topic show there are at least three normal provisions in a for cause termination section: 1) material breach of a contractual provision without remedy in a set time period 2) NCAA violation 3) criminal conduct.

I don’t think...barring odd provisions in the contract, that we are going to be successful here about for cause. Then again we have no idea what provisions Wake normally has in coaching contracts as a private university.

Last edited:
Is Ron’s “basketball reasons” dog and pony show going to bite us in the ass? Firing a coach for cause a year after the AD same he thought the coach had the program on the right track?

Could the lack of graduation and constant transferring out be it?
Does Wake have a case to declare that "lack of institutional control" or something?
Looking at Numbers' post, couldn't Wake use grad rates/transfers out and Jones' NYC criminal case, now that it's officially resolved, as basis for cause? It seems like those could cover Numbers' 1&2.

Last edited:
Perhaps they can tie him to the criminal behavior of the assistant that killed a guy ? He was responsible for hiring him and for anything happening under his watch.

This worries me. A lot. What will other coaches think about the job if we are trying to fire Manning without paying him? What specifically is the cause? Not being good at his job won't cut it? Do we have to admit to some recruiting violations we have buried??? Me no comprende....

Perhaps they can tie him to the criminal behavior of the assistant that killed a guy ? He was responsible for hiring him and for anything happening under his watch.
It is officially resolved AND did result in a legal conviction.

This worries me. A lot. What will other coaches think about the job if we are trying to fire Manning without paying him? What specifically is the cause? Not being good at his job won't cut it? Do we have to admit to some recruiting violations we have buried??? Me no comprende....

This. Needs to be something serious.

Hypothesizing about the terms of a contract none of us have ever seen is pretty useless. The decision makers at Wake, the general counsel’s office, and outside counsel would have thoroughly reviewed the issue before taking a position like that.

On second thought, maybe Ron was senile and didn’t have the capacity to contract!

Back