• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sarr

To clarify my "If I'm being honest, I hope he doesn't get a waiver" comment.

Has nothing to do w/ Sarr... I've posted before that I expected him to leave and I understood his logic. Doesn't mean I have to be excited about it.

I just don't think it is a good for college basketball if 95% of programs are farm systems for 1 & Done factories like UK & Duke. If you can transfer with no penalty, what is to stop the blue bloods from cherry-picking top players from other universities to fill a hole in their roster?

I was also making a joke about Sarr's, "If I'm being honest, it's been an emotional struggle for me" comment.

There are those out there in other fanbases who honestly believe that it was Wake Forest's fault and NOT Manning's for his abject failure.
Because, hurr durr, "DaNnY aNd tHE mIrAcLes." "He WaS a GrEaT nBa pLaYeR" "I ThOuGhT hE DiD GrEaT aT tULSa" etc.
Read around on message boards (oddly, especially blueblood message boards) and it won't take long to find.
He's got plenty of defenders out there willing to assume/blame Wake instead of him.
That's one reason why I think Manning will actually get another head coaching job. People are just that ignorant.

I don't see Manning getting another HC gig unless:

- He is willing to go to a mid-major or lower level, or
- He goes back to KS as an assistant under Self, and the Jayhawks decide to promote within after Self leaves (kind of like if UNC named Steve Robinson to replace Roy).

Bye. Couldn’t care less. He’s not a bad player but the quicker we get the Manning players out the better. Realistically we will only be good again once Forbes has cleared out the old and gotten in the new.
Agreed, actually.
I felt the same when [Redacted] left towards his leftovers.
Long term losing makes losers. Period.
Perhaps the younger guys can be turned around and Mucius is CMM-like and not full of the "Manning toxicity."
But the sooner this team is all Forbes' recruits the better.

Monday was Star Wars Day.

In the words of a Storm Trooper to Sarr: "Move along.... move along."

Hard to blame the guy given the pain he has had to suffer under Manning the last 3 years and some embarrassing losses. While Forbes has clearly won elsewhere it is hard to say what he can do in ACC in year 1 with a number of inherited players that aren't ACC caliber vs a UK team that regularly competes for conf. championships and gets national exposure with Cal. Sarr moving to UK already gets the nation talking about him more and if he continues to improve and probably will look better with better talent around him he is looking at a big payday next year.

Could have possibly done same here but risk/reward play probably is UK from an unbiased standpoint.

Well, I just hope the toilet paper shortage is over by the time he graduates from UK, I'd hate for him not to have a printed degree to hang on the wall.

I don't see Manning getting another HC gig unless:

- He is willing to go to a mid-major or lower level, or
- He goes back to KS as an assistant under Self, and the Jayhawks decide to promote within after Self leaves (kind of like if UNC named Steve Robinson to replace Roy).

Special Assistant to Calipari :noidea:

I heard through the grapevine that Sarr didn’t quite know how in demand he would be and that impacted his decision when he found out. I don’t know if that’s true or not but an interesting tidbit.

Forbes needs to start by building an identity for the team. That's impossible with no accountability Manning players lingering in the program.

Losing players like Brown and Sarr is a blessing in disguise. We need the rebuild to start now. LFG.

Would like to see us keep Neath tho, he's still a promising young player that didn't have the time to be tainted by Manning's program.

The institution I attended for undergrad is not prestigious. I'm sure a degree from UK would carry more "weight," whatever that means. I tend to think after your first job it's all about you and the value you can offer, and where the degree came from doesn't mean much.

But, if Forbes isn't hammering the prestige of a Wake degree over places large state schools he's committing recruiting malpractice.

I heard through the grapevine that Sarr didn’t quite know how in demand he would be and that impacted his decision when he found out. I don’t know if that’s true or not but an interesting tidbit.

I personally would have like to have seen Sarr stay but, man, 3 years of losing has to take a toll, and when you suddenly realize that you are in demand by top programs that send lots of kids to the NBA every year, I'm sure it's impactful.

The only good things about France are the red wine, cheese and bread. In that order. The rest does not really matter.

He may be a bit shell shocked at Kentucky. Like others have posted.
Article says calipari wants him to be a leader due to experience. Experience of losing and having a shit coach with no game plan? He only started half the games. While talented, I certainly wouldn’t call him a leader based on history. Plus he supported the loser coach.

Granted. This move may completely rejuvenate him. Moving from manning to calipari should work wonders. Not every day you can upgrade from a pinto to a Ferrari

I don't really understand the "I will always be a Deac and hope the fans see me that way as well" stuff these kids always say when they transfer.

You can't always be a Deac if you decide to transfer. No problem with his move (if he actually ends up getting a waiver) but he's most definitely not a Demon Deacon.

May be in the minority with that take, but it doesn't make sense to me.

What if you were heavily invested in a particular major at Wake that was well regarded and the faculty was directly tied to your job after graduating - and the entire faculty was fired. The major remained, but you had no idea who the incoming teachers were or what strings they'd be able to pull for you. You could still care about Wake but transfer to one of the best schools in the country for that particular major and they were offering you a full ride plus some benefits of some kind Wake simply can't match right now.

This isn't like Newman - we yanked the rug out from under Sarr for the betterment of the program. We risked the entire team transferring. We risked Forbes saying no and hiring a nobody. The fans love Forbes but I'm sure our opinions would be a lot different if we all had to bet $20,000 on the W/L record in this one year.

Back