• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sarr

Let them all go. Including Sarr. Let Forbes start over with a clean slate. Now if I kid wants to stay, that's fine. But no guarantees about PT or anything else.

I think most understand that he'll need a few years to clear out the dross and bring in his own kids.

Manning had 2 jobs (and got paid millions to do it):

1. Help 18-22 year olds get an education/graduate (since basketball is not necessarily a career) and:

2. Win games

He failed at both. So, he is bitter, because he has lots of money, is probably sitting at home bored (Covid-19), but just failed at his job and has no idea what to do next (Covid-19 and maybe not getting calls for interviews).

Let's CLEAN HOUSE.

If Sarr thinks Cal will be honest with him, someone should set him straight.

Manning lost the benefit of the doubt long ago. So, until there are no remaining vestiges linking WF to Danny Manning, any problematic issues that arise (like players transferring) that could possibly be attributed to Manning, will be whether accurate or not.

The fact is that players often transfer or ask out of their LOI when a coaching change is made. The most recent example was VT when Buzz left and the Hokies hired Mike Young. Only 3 players from the previous season's active roster returned. The rest transferred or went pro. Then, a year later, two of the remaining Buzz recruits (Nolley and Wilkins) also transferred. Next season, Mike's Young's 2nd year, VT will have almost no one from the Buzz Williams era, and even though he was the VT coach in March 2019. That's just how basketball often works. The same will likely happen here. WF will be playing walkons next year, but now, Forbes is going to have the ability to shape the roster from scratch. It's going to suck next year, but it will get better.

Maybe Manning has spent the last week, attempting to undermine WF basketball, but it's more likely that each of the players that are considering transferring just want to explore their options after the staff that recruited them and coached them left.

Not sure your coach being fired before you could declare for the draft is a good enough reason for immediate transfer eligibility. He should have some good options to get paid playing overseas next season though.

From this mornings text frenzy- apparently Currie knew this (players entering the portal) was going to happen. Forbes was advised before taking the job.

Hope Forbes didn’t have big vacation plans this summer.

Last edited:
So ... we're saying that Manning created the Cornovirus-19 in his secret basement lab and unleashed it on the world thru his contacts in China?

I think it is a bit of a stretch to blame Manning for kids entering the transfer portal. A couple of tidbits:

* This is happening with every kid save Sarr stuck in their bedroom finishing up the school year rather than with each other in their dorm discussing it organically together
* There is a [false] sense that the NCAA is going to allow a 1-year free for all transfer and they can all pick a new school and be playing for them next year
* Forbes hasn't had a chance to talk to any of these guys one-on-one yet.
* There is a good chance we lose more kids than we would have normally, but I expect that he will pull a roster together that will be somewhat competitive next year.

All that said, Manning gave Sarr some shitty advice. It most likely wasn't intentional and I don't think Sarr was going to get drafted anyway, not any earlier than mid-2nd round. That in and of itself is so absurd. Can you imagine 12 years ago kids leaving the program early? So they could maybe get drafted in the 2nd round? So much losing.

If we can blame the Rona on Manning, I’m down.

I don’t know how much of this is his fault, but he did cultivate a toxic atmosphere where he and his players were victims of the elitist Wake Forest fan base.

If we can blame the Rona on Manning, I’m down.

I don’t know how much of this is his fault, but he did cultivate a toxic atmosphere where he and his players were victims of the elitist Wake Forest fan base.

I definitely blame DM for this with the team, but for years BCE (Before Currie Era) the whole AD made excuses and whined about fans' unrealistic expectations and lowf excuse making was rampant. That was HUGE during the Bz years. From some of the other changes in the AD surrounding basketball it looks like Currie is purging that mentality out...I hope that's the case.

Well this is interesting.

Interesting indeed. Will be interesting to see how the players react to working with an excellent coach...whether here or somewhere else. I expect their eyes will be opened.

From this mornings text frenzy- apparently Currie knew this (players entering the portal) was going to happen. Forbes was advised before taking the job.

Hope Forbes didn’t have big vacation plans this summer.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to predict that Wake Forest basketball players are going to transfer. They all either transfer, enter the draft early, or umm...they're Randolph Childress's son. Those are the 3 outcomes.

I wish all of the kids well, whether staying or not. Not going to think badly of those that leave.
Don’t know ‘bout you all, but I would hope not to get judged too much for decisions I made as an 18 or 19 year old.

I believe May 20 is the transfer deadline. We'll see some more movement either back towards the team or firm transfers until that date. I expect some players that are testing the waters will stay at Wake. Aside from Sarr or Chaundee, I'm not sure some of these guys are going to get a better offer elsewhere.

Teenagers have a hive/group think mentality. When "former" team captain Chaundee transfers out, that has a huge influence.

Yeah, it may seem silly, but these kids are definitely somewhat tramautized. They're young, so they're probably a little reactionary, and Forbes knows that. He's done this shit for decades. He won't give up at the first sign of resistance from these dudes, he'll try to work it. They are probably smart, but need some breathing room. Good luck to them whatever they decide.

danny manning wants every kid to leave WF. If Forbes comes in and runs it back with the same squad he's exposed further as a terrible coach.

People, much of these threads are reinforcing Danny's us against elite Wake people. We've got a bunch of guys we can get back. Why drive them away by saying who gives a fuck if they stay?

If we get everyone back they fit Forbes' positionless theme-

Chaundee can play 2/3 and little 4 if necessary -is tough
Sarr - he can play all over the court-is excellent at PnR, PnP...he can pass and move as well as post up
Mucius - is a long, energy guy who can play D, slash
Massoud - can play 2/3/4. Perfect fit for Forbes
Neath -a poor man's Westbrook- a tough guy on both ends of the court

It's a very solid starting five for a competent coach.

Back