• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Yes, nothing sad at all. She can finally retire, feel good about where the program is heading, and enjoy her family. Well done, Lynn.

Her retirement has nothing to do with Forbes coming. I'm pretty sure that they mentioned she was retiring when they recognized her role with the 1995 team.

Forbes was about Childress' age when he was fired as part of Bruce Pearl's staff at Tennessee. Forbes went and got the head coach job at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, FL. He stayed there for two years. Seven years later, he got an ACC head coaching job. No reason Childress couldn't do the exact same thing.

With the asterisk that Forbes in his two years at Northwest Florida State, took that team to back to back national championship games.

Edit: I just saw where you referenced 62-6. I like 62-6 or 30-4...like a lot of what I am reading.

Last edited:
Yeah, particularly for a dude in Forbes who was a long-term assistant who sees how beneficial getting a chance to be a HC can be

It's worth mentioning that coaches jumping from mid-majors to major programs are obviously big opportunities from the head coaches, but absolute life changers for assistants, etc. I think our assistants get paid ~$200-500k (I believe our football coordinators are even higher than that). According to the Tennessee public salary database, Shay was getting paid $90k as associate head coach at ETSU.

I'm sure this is cool for Forbes, but it's actually probably a bigger deal to McKie, Savage and the other guys he's bringing along. Go us.

Last edited:
The AHC of a good program got paid $90K? Damn. Their professors must not make much more than minimum wage.

Well adjunct pay has not changed much since then.

Adjuncts definitely not making that much more where I am, either.

Actually impressed by that 90k.

It's worth mentioning that coaches jumping from mid-majors to major programs are obviously big opportunities from the head coaches, but absolute life changers for assistants, etc. I think our assistants get paid ~$200-500k (I believe our football coordinators are even higher than that). According to the Tennessee public salary database, Shay was getting paid $90k as associate head coach at ETSU.

I'm sure this is cool for Forbes, but it's actually probably a bigger deal to McKie, Savage and the other guys he's bringing along. Go us.

There's zero chance that we are paying our assistant basketball coaches $200k-$500k. A quick google search shows that this range would put them among the best paid assistants in the country. Maybe the top assistants on our staff are getting in into the $200k range but there's no way way we're getting anywhere close to $500k.

Last edited:
There's zero chance that we are paying our assistant basketball coaches $200k-$500k. A quick google search shows that this range would put them among the best paid assistants in the country. Maybe the top assistants on our staff are getting in into the $200k range but there's no way way we're getting anywhere close to $500k.

Before Sawvel was fired, he was getting paid around 515k base compensation. 200-300k sounds right for the top basketball assistants.

Before Sawvel was fired, he was getting paid around 515k base compensation. 200-300k sounds right for the top basketball assistants.

The top google search is an article from 2017 (don't know how reputable the numbers are, but they were the easiest to find) showing that anything north of like $373k would put you in the top 10 assistants in the country in terms of pay. The middle point between $200k-$500k is $350k. No way assistant on the previous staff was making that. Football is not a fair comparison.

The top google search is an article from 2017 (don't know how reputable the numbers are, but they were the easiest to find) showing that anything north of like $373k would put you in the top 10 assistants in the country in terms of pay. The middle point between $200k-$500k is $350k. No way assistant on the previous staff was making that. Football is not a fair comparison.

Coming to correct myself. I agree, $200k-$300k is on par with what I could find for top assistant pay. There are a couple north of that, but they seem like outliers.

Two articles I found on college assistant coach salaries - not sure if either are up to date on the financial numbers but decent reference points none the least.

"At Texas State University, assistant coach salaries range from $24,000 to $125,000, according to the Texas Tribune. For basketball specifically, the team's two assistant coaching salaries are $125,000, the highest in any collegiate sport, and $75,000 as of June 2011. At the University of Florida, the published salaries of assistant men's basketball coaches range from $100,000 to $235,000 annually, the Orlando Sentinel reports. The University of Maryland pays $66,440 to one assistant coach with the least amount of experience and $99,881 and $129,468 to two other assistants with more years of coaching, according to the Washington Times." - https://careertrend.com/the-average-salary-of-an-assistant-coach-in-mens-basketball-12564955.html

Graph2.jpeg
Graph1.jpeg

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/by-the-numbers-autonomy-5-mens-basketball-assistant-coaches/

Last edited:
Back