• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Yeah listening to that podcast I did not get the impression that the Childress issue bothered him at all. He sounded genuinely thankful that Childress was helping with the current roster. If he resents it he's a really good actor.

Why would Jans take this job? He is in a better conference.

Chris Jans makes $290K at NM State. Forbes made $650K, and ETSU just received a $500K buyout payment. The math is pretty easy.

FWIW, you may be confusing NM State, which is the WAC and is where Chris Jans coaches, and New Mexico which is in the Mountain West.

The WAC, NM State's conference, was raided by other conferences and is now a POS conference. They are rated the #24 conference and the other teams in that conference are:

Cal Baptist
Seattle
Grand Canyon
UT Rio Grande Valley
UMKC
Utah Valley
Cal St. Bakersfield
Chicago State

ETSU is in the Southern Conference, and is the #15 rated conference. The Southern Conference is better than the WAC, and ETSU is a much better job than NM State.

Chris Jans makes $290K at NM State. Forbes made $650K, and ETSU just received a $500K buyout payment. The math is pretty easy.

FWIW, you may be confusing NM State, which is the WAC and is where Chris Jans coaches, and New Mexico which is in the Mountain West.

The WAC, NM State's conference, was raided by other conferences and is now a POS conference. They are rated the #24 conference and the other teams in that conference are:

Cal Baptist
Seattle
Grand Canyon
UT Rio Grande Valley
UMKC
Utah Valley
Cal St. Bakersfield
Chicago State

ETSU is in the Southern Conference, and is the #15 rated conference. The Southern Conference is better than the WAC, and ETSU is a much better job than NM State.

Jans also get's a $215k retention bonus every November.

If I am him I stick it out at New Mexico State for another year or two - might be harder to get the big pay day of a power conference job if he leaves to ETSU.

After someone just got a big pay day of a power conference job coming from ETSU?

After someone just got a big pay day of a power conference job coming from ETSU?

Yes - the program could take a step back with the transition. He's already had a similar level of success at NMSU as Forbes did at ETSU. In a busier carousel he probably would have gotten the call up this year.

I don't know, SoCon seems like it could have a little higher profile, but beats me. Jans also has the slightly shady dismissal from Bowling Green looming over him. He may want another interim step, but I don't really know, I don't pay all that close attention. Dude has definitely shredded at NMSU, though. That's a lot of wins.

I don't know, SoCon seems like it could have a little higher profile, but beats me. Jans also has the slightly shady dismissal from Bowling Green looming over him. He may want another interim step, but I don't really know, I don't pay all that close attention. Dude has definitely shredded at NMSU, though. That's a lot of wins.

Yeah, maybe another stop helps him put the BGSU stuff behind him - just might be a good look to have passed another background check.

SoCon is a better conference than WAC and would help him build regional ties for an ACC or SEC job. But he seems like a Big 12 type... maybe Oklahoma State? Or Texas Tech if Beard leaves.

Yeah, maybe another stop helps him put the BGSU stuff behind him - just might be a good look to have passed another background check.

SoCon is a better conference than WAC and would help him build regional ties for an ACC or SEC job. But he seems like a Big 12 type... maybe Oklahoma State? Or Texas Tech if Beard leaves.

I would think the SoCon is a better stepping stone than the WAC for a P6 job.

Don’t know how the WAC compares to the Big South (or whatever conference Winthrop is in) but it seems similar to Kelsey in that they may need another job before they’re in consideration for top tier gig.

Cal Baptist
Seattle
Grand Canyon
UT Rio Grande Valley
UMKC
Utah Valley
Cal St. Bakersfield
Chicago State

Socon has really been turning out some good coaches in recent years that have moved up ladder Matt McCall (UMASS) & Will Wade (LSU) were both a Chattanooga and Mike Young (VT) was at Wofford. Wes Miller, Mark Prosser, and Bob Richey all will get the call in the very near future to move up to the next level.

That being said, former Deac assistant Mark Pope got the BYU job coming from Utah Valley and I think Grand Canyon has a lot of cash somehow. Wasn't/isn't Thunder Dan Majerle their coach?

Oh wow, he left/got canned, and now Bryce Drew is trying to resurrect his career there after that winless SEC season.

Yeah listening to that podcast I did not get the impression that the Childress issue bothered him at all. He sounded genuinely thankful that Childress was helping with the current roster. If he resents it he's a really good actor.

This

Forbes seemed grateful to Childress. But he also seemed like Childress was going to be around in some capacity and it was his job to figure out what that capacity is. I did not get the impression that Childress was involved in the basketball offices campout or any recruiting aside from players from last year’s roster.

The WAC, NM State's conference, was raided by other conferences and is now a POS conference.

That's actually kind of a shame that the WAC was a expansion era victim. There was a nice little sorta storied history to that conference. Even as recently as the Majerus Era at Utah.

That being said, former Deac assistant Mark Pope got the BYU job coming from Utah Valley and I think Grand Canyon has a lot of cash somehow. Wasn't/isn't Thunder Dan Majerle their coach?
Grand Canyon has Jesus Cash from Fundies and online college courses. It's Oral Roberts/Liberty 3.0
And yes, Thunder Dan was the highly winning coach there until he had one bad year and they fired him.

Back