• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Grand Canyon University is further away from the Grand Canyon than Wake Forest University is from Wake Forest, NC.

Still blows my mind that Chicago State is in the WAC - hopefully after their budget disaster in 2016 and now with this pandemic they get their heads out of their asses and move to conference that actually makes geographic sense.

FWIW, you may be confusing NM State, which is the WAC and is where Chris Jans coaches, and New Mexico which is in the Mountain West.

Thanks for all the information in your post, Pilchard. I definitely was confusing them. Embarrassing since one of my in-laws that I hang out with regularly played football at NMSU. I should not have confused them, but ultimately I guess I don't give a shit about either (unless I am boozing with my cousin in-law, if that's a thing, and watching NMSU).

Forbes seemed grateful to Childress. But he also seemed like Childress was going to be around in some capacity and it was his job to figure out what that capacity is. I did not get the impression that Childress was involved in the basketball offices campout or any recruiting aside from players from last year’s roster.

I think Childress may be involved in the staff's reoffers that are going out.

Forbes seemed grateful to Childress. But he also seemed like Childress was going to be around in some capacity and it was his job to figure out what that capacity is. I did not get the impression that Childress was involved in the basketball offices campout or any recruiting aside from players from last year’s roster.

Why would Childress be camping out at the Shahjmahal? He lives here. The others guys don't have homes yet. Forbes keeping things fluid understandably until Shah's status is defined. Then Chill's spot can be nailed down.

Forbes made it pretty clear they've been keeping late nights because they're recruiting. It wasn't clear that Childress was part of those discussions.

They could have just gotten hotel rooms.

I'm hoping we get an ETSU Jans announcement soon, so Shay can join the staff here ASAP.

I mean, I have no idea who is going to get that job... But I'd selfishly like Shay at Wake.

I'm hoping we get an ETSU Jans announcement soon, so Shay can join the staff here ASAP.

I mean, I have no idea who is going to get that job... But I'd selfishly like Shay at Wake.
Me too. Shay is Forbes #2 guy and while he'd eventually get his own shot somewhere, he'd be a nice asset for WF in the meantime.

A little background on Jason Shay:

- 1991-95: Walk-on at Iowa under Dr. Tom Davis (Bruce Pearl was an assistant at Iowa under Dr. Tom)
- 2001-2005: DBO and then assistant coach at UW-Milwaukee under Bruce Pearl
- 2005-2011: Assistant with Forbes at TN under Pearl (Savage was a manager; then a grad assistant)
- 2011-2013: After the NCAA infractions ended the Pearl TN run, Shay was an assistant under Forbes at NW Mo. State (along with Savage)
- 2013-2015: When Forbes took the assistant job at Wichita State, North Dakota hired Shay as an assistant (under HC Brian Jones)
- 2015 to present: Top assistant to Forbes at ETSU (in charge of game-planning and scouting; worked with the ETSU post-players; recruiter)

Winston-Salem's own Joel Justus, right?

That's him. I worked for his dad John in Sports Info when I was at Wake and used to watch Joel play youth bball when he was a little kid. The fact that he's up for a head coaching gig is pretty mind boggling. I'm getting really old.

So more likely Shay gets job and Chill gets real job on staff? as for Jans, i know ETSU is probably a better gig, but only incrementally. better to hold out for a bigger step up next year.

Forbes made it pretty clear they've been keeping late nights because they're recruiting. It wasn't clear that Childress was part of those discussions.

They could have just gotten hotel rooms.

They do have hotel rooms. His point, which I think has been blown out of all proportion, is that if he has to work through the night as coaches sometimes do, he has some sweet surroundings for catching a few hours of sleep.

Back