• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Honestly it would be worse to hire RC and then have to politely replace him later. He’s a legend and deserves respect and should be offered something within the AD, but he hasn’t proven to be a good enough coach to add to the new staff. Sorry. #newbeginnings

Honestly it would be worse to hire RC and then have to politely replace him later. He’s a legend and deserves respect and should be offered something within the AD, but he hasn’t proven to be a good enough coach to add to the new staff. Sorry. #newbeginnings
Exactly, either he gets fired at some more awkward point in the future or ends up the head coach when Forbes is done. Now is the right time to rip off the bandaid.

i'd just trust Forbes to make the decision. i can't imagine there is significant pressure to take him on and i'm sure Currie has said "make the staff you need" (if for nothing else if Forbes isn't fully responsible for assembling his staff, then how can Currie hold him accountable for the results - that's management 101). Forbes has seen enough about Wake / historical politics, i'm sure has talked to Chill plenty about his experience over the last decade and he will be able to make a well informed decision on what is best for the program.

Any rumors or rumblings that any of the staff Forbes brought to Wake might go back to ETSU for higher level position? E.g. DBO to assistant coach?

As far as Childress on staff goes I would say whatever Forbes is comfortable with. Having said that I can see a situation where Forbes met with him. Liked him well enough and offered a 1 year situation that is mutually beneficial in his mind. Forbes does not have to expend the time and energy finding and hiring the best option in this crazy world. Chill helps keep some of the players and is the school liaison for the new staff. That gives chill a chance to finally learn from a good coach. He also gets a year to make some new connections and get a job hopefully with some tangible successes to point to. Chill as Andy Dufrain after crawling through a ten year tunnel of shit.

Who knows? Like I said, whatever coach Forbes wants.

As far as Childress on staff goes I would say whatever Forbes is comfortable with. Having said that I can see a situation where Forbes met with him. Liked him well enough and offered a 1 year situation that is mutually beneficial in his mind. Forbes does not have to expend the time and energy finding and hiring the best option in this crazy world. Chill helps keep some of the players and is the school liaison for the new staff. That gives chill a chance to finally learn from a good coach. He also gets a year to make some new connections and get a job hopefully with some tangible successes to point to. Chill as Andy Dufrain after crawling through a ten year tunnel of shit.

Who knows? Like I said, whatever coach Forbes wants.

Yeah, like I said. Trust Forbes, he has BIG ideas.

I could see Childress staying on for a year because it may be tough to get on a staff right now. Then he could leave and Forbes could bring on the Lithuanian dude.

Forbes will probably give Chill a year to see how things work out. Chill prob helped us keep several players. Sarr had a foot out the door before Manning was fired.

Maybe Chill just stays a year to add some continuity on the new staff with the players, then either goes into the AD somewhere or finds himself a coaching job if he still wants to coach. He may just want to stay in the Winston-Salem area. Coming up on 48 years old this fall so if he wants to be a D1 head coach he better get with it. If not, stay around here and be in administration.

Maybe Chill just stays a year to add some continuity on the new staff with the players, then either goes into the AD somewhere or finds himself a coaching job if he still wants to coach. He may just want to stay in the Winston-Salem area. Coming up on 48 years old this fall so if he wants to be a D1 head coach he better get with it. If not, stay around here and be in administration.

Right. If he’s not careful he might be 55 before he gets his D1 head coach job... never mind.

If Wes Miller could just get a job elsewhere I would think Randolph an attractive candidate for the UNCG opening

Now that Shay accepted the ETSU job, it is interesting that we haven’t heard that the assistant position belongs to Childress. You’d think that would happen pretty quick if by default.

Maybe it’s to make time for Childress to find something else so Forbes can announce his coach and the word can be that Childress declined an offer.

Childress is on staff. Forbes mentioned it again today in an interview with Seth Greenberg.

That’s disappointing. If you told me 25 years ago that I’d be disappointed that Childress is coaching at Wake, I’d tell you you’re crazy. Maybe it’s just a one year deal so he can find something else during the hiring cycle.

Back