• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

if Childress does end up on Forbes' staff, I would guess he's the first ACC assistant coach to ever survive two firings

I don’t get all of the Chill hate but I would also like to see him get a Winthrop or High Point type of job to see what he could do. He can recruit, he’s passionate and he hates to lose more than any player in WF history. He would probably do well.

where is the evidence that Chill can recruit?

which good players was he the lead on?

I believe he was the lead recruiter for Bryant Crawford.

Last edited:
I thought he recruited Chaundee and Muscius too. Played a big role in getting Hoard here.

Childress was the lead recruiter for John Collins, Jaylon Hoard, Bryant Crawford, Dinos Mitoglou, Isaiah Mucius, Ishmael Massoud and some others that didn't pan out like Melo Eggleston.

He also had a significant near miss with Brandon Randolph.

The AAU team PSA Cardinals has a very good relationship with Childress. If has a good head coach to sell them on, that should continue to pay off.

Last edited:
Childress was the lead recruiter for John Collins, Jaylon Hoard, Bryant Crawford, Dinos Mitoglou, Isaiah Mucius, Ishmael Massoud and some others that didn't pan out like Melo Eggleston.

He also had a significant near miss with Brandon Randolph.

The AAU team PSA Cardinals has a very good relationship with Childress. If has a good head coach to sell them on, that should continue to pay off.

*stares in Brandon Weston*

Childress is on staff. Forbes mentioned it again today in an interview with Seth Greenberg.

Did he mention if he was on the coaching staff or just still at Wake. I recall shortly after Forbes was hired he said "there will always be a place for RC at Wake". That doesn't necessarily mean on the coaching staff. If on the coaching staff I hoped he earned it. Just hope his recent sideline demeanor has been due to coaching with 2 emotionless stumps for coaches and not his true personality.

If I were a high school coach and had a relationship with Childress, why exactly would I trust him? He tried to sell me on [Redacted] and he tried to sell me on Manning. Credibility shot. And a good high school coach won’t need selling on Forbes because he can see for himself that Forbes would be a good person to send a kid to play for.

If I were a high school coach and had a relationship with Childress, why exactly would I trust him? He tried to sell me on [Redacted] and he tried to sell me on Manning. Credibility shot. And a good high school coach won’t need selling on Forbes because he can see for himself that Forbes would be a good person to send a kid to play for.

This is a terrible take, he sells them on Wake Forest first and foremost. His job was to get talent into Wake no matter how crappy he thought the head guy was. He understands what it takes to succeed at Wake academically and culturally to these kids and has great contacts which would only be enhanced by actually having a decent head coach. If you are a salesman, and your boss is a prick, does that mean you don't have to go out and try to sell something? To me this makes him an incredible salesman, to be able to get some good players WITHOUT having a good coach. Besides, this was TOTALLY Forbes decision as Currie told him to hire whomever he wanted, regardless of who was on the previous staff

This is a terrible take, he sells them on Wake Forest first and foremost. His job was to get talent into Wake no matter how crappy he thought the head guy was. He understands what it takes to succeed at Wake academically and culturally to these kids and has great contacts which would only be enhanced by actually having a decent head coach. If you are a salesman, and your boss is a prick, does that mean you don't have to go out and try to sell something? To me this makes him an incredible salesman, to be able to get some good players WITHOUT having a good coach. Besides, this was TOTALLY Forbes decision as Currie told him to hire whomever he wanted, regardless of who was on the previous staff

If Forbes thinks Childress is best, then I trust Forbes. As an assistant coach you're absolutely selling the head coach. College basketball is all about the head coach. We have another thread on this board right now talking about how players are loyal first and foremost to their coach rather than the program.

My point is that Childress is now going to go to these high school coaches and say, hey remember how I convinced you to send some players to [Redacted]? Yeah, wow. That was terrible. Oh and then remember how I changed gears and said you should definitely send them to play for Manning? My fault. Anyway, third time's a charm.

If I were the coach I would probably laugh and say, Randolph, you're a good guy and you are Mr. Wake Forest. But you have some trust to build with me. Fortunately you're now finally aligning yourself with a quality coach and so you have that going for you. But you've repped some lousy leaders in the past and I hope you can be honest about that.

This may be a mutually beneficial situation. There aren't the usual number of assistant coaches out there willing to move. Chill brings an intimate knowledge of Wake Forest to the table.

The coaching carousel barely moved this year. Many head coaches and assistants who might have changed jobs under other circumstances simply stayed put.

If the coaching carousel operates near historic norms next year, I would expect Chill to move somewhere. Maybe to a HC job at a low or mid major school. He needs some time running his own program before he would get a P6 head coach position. If coaching isn't in his blood, then he should move to doing what he wants to do for the next 15-25 years of his life.

The Manning stink needs to go, all of it. Childress has been coaching for 2 of the biggest losers in Wake history. Serious question, if Childress wasnt a Wake legend would he still be on Forbes staff?

The Manning stink needs to go, all of it. Childress has been coaching for 2 of the biggest losers in Wake history. Serious question, if Childress wasnt a Wake legend would he still be on Forbes staff?

To be fair BZ destroyed the program, Manning maintained BZ's legacy.

Not likely, but it’s also not uncommon to keep one guy from the previous staff. Of course, we’ve already lost our best player so meh.

Personally, I think he ends up in Nester’s gig.

Always good to see a very sensible and clear-headed take on a situation. Dead on, in my opinion.

The Wake Forest website still only lists Forbes and Childress as the coaching staff.

The Wake Forest website still only lists Forbes and Childress as the coaching staff.

Guessing that Forbes hasn't decided the positions for everyone yet (and I suppose the possibility exists for his DBO from ETSU to get a full time assistant's job at ETSU). McKie and Savage have been working the recruiting angle for WF for more than a week.

Back