• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Given that the basketball SID was fired the day before Danny, and the other basketball SID was just furloughed, I wouldn't read too much into how up-to-date the website is these days.

Given that the basketball SID was fired the day before Danny, and the other basketball SID was just furloughed, I wouldn't read too much into how up-to-date the website is these days.
Interesting. Who fired the SID? Danny or Wake? I assume Wake did furlough the other one however.

Realize that the athletic department is looking to conserve money, but seems like the athletic department would want to keep one SID basketball rep in his/her position in the weeks after making the first basketball HC hire in six years. This is one time when WF basketball is actually making more news than almost any other basketball program in the country.

Realize that the athletic department is looking to conserve money, but seems like the athletic department would want to keep one SID basketball rep in his/her position in the weeks after making the first basketball HC hire in six years. This is one time when WF basketball is actually making more news than almost any other basketball program in the country.

Uh, how to put this delicately ... hmm ... Yeah, you would fucking think so.

Sports info dept. underwent change in leadership midway through football season and new leadership fired SID. Not a DM decision.

It's beyond my comprehension and probably pay grade to know why they would furlough the other SID. I understand the pandemic and cost-cutting aspect but completely agree with Pilch; this is the first time in quite a while that you need some significant handling when it comes to basketball and media.

That's fair. I wasn't trying to make the point that the website is correct and telling us new information, I just thought it was interesting that the coaching staff hasn't been updated since like the day after Forbes was hired. The player roster is pretty quick to update.

Uh, how to put this delicately ... hmm ... Yeah, you would fucking think so.

Sports info dept. underwent change in leadership midway through football season and new leadership fired SID. Not a DM decision.

It's beyond my comprehension and probably pay grade to know why they would furlough the other SID. I understand the pandemic and cost-cutting aspect but completely agree with Pilch; this is the first time in quite a while that you need some significant handling when it comes to basketball and media.

Probably because the previous basketball SID was worse at what they did than our last two coaches. Good call to give our new coach a fresh new start with someone new. Pretty sure the new Sports information leadership that was brought in led the well-received basketball media blitz over the past few weeks and will put a strong permanent leader in place.

Probably because the previous basketball SID was worse at what they did than our last two coaches. Good call to give our new coach a fresh new start with someone new. Pretty sure the new Sports information leadership that was brought in led the well-received basketball media blitz over the past few weeks and will put a strong permanent leader in place.

Reading comprehension probably needs some work. At no point has the competency of the previous SID been discussed here. But thanks for your input.

While it might be a good call to give a new coach a fresh start with someone new, you don't think it'd be wise to have somebody in place during a transition? You don't think they at least deserved a shot to interview for the position?

And you're "Pretty sure" that new leadership brought in led the well-received basketball media blitz over the past few weeks ... Are you actually talking media, or just the advertising campaign? Because the advertising campaign is what's been most visible, and that's been run by Barry Faircloth. Setting up podcast interviews and virtual pressers is a different entity than putting together full-page ads, TV spots, etc.

Shit, we had an entire story about it. Let me know if you find any of the new sports information leadership quoted or credited in the story:

Again, reading comprehension is appreciated.

Conor, maybe you should work up to your dream of reading comprehension here. How about solving world hunger? That should be a warm-up.

Reading comprehension probably needs some work. At no point has the competency of the previous SID been discussed here. But thanks for your input.

While it might be a good call to give a new coach a fresh start with someone new, you don't think it'd be wise to have somebody in place during a transition? You don't think they at least deserved a shot to interview for the position?

And you're "Pretty sure" that new leadership brought in led the well-received basketball media blitz over the past few weeks ... Are you actually talking media, or just the advertising campaign? Because the advertising campaign is what's been most visible, and that's been run by Barry Faircloth. Setting up podcast interviews and virtual pressers is a different entity than putting together full-page ads, TV spots, etc.

Shit, we had an entire story about it. Let me know if you find any of the new sports information leadership quoted or credited in the story:

Isn’t the current Football SID doing the work of what would have been done by the past basketball SID? Do you know when they will hire a new SID? Mike Odom got fired as well (I assume given he also isn’t on the website) so has anyone taken over his position or are they waiting to fill it when the time is right?

And ... SNAP!!!

Geez Conor, relax man. There was no stones thrown at you here...just pointing out how the new SID department was being significantly upgraded alongside our men's basketball program. It is my understanding that the new associate AD of Athletic Communications is in charge during the transition and the previously noted termination and furlough was intentional. Please let me change my "Pretty sure" to "definitely sure". I'm also "definitely sure" you are a first class journalist and do a great job for the Deacs and I'm "pretty sure" someone must have pissed in your corn flakes this morning to get you all hacked off.

P.S. Great article. Go Deacs!

Seems like you are getting tired of quarantine.

Fair enough on all points above. It's been a furlough day only because a one-on-one with Forbes got pushed to tomorrow. Both frustrating.

SD, the hierarchy has never been fully explained. As far as I know, if I want to request an interview with say, Boogie Basham, that gets sent to three SIDs. I haven't been a college beat reporter for long, but I know enough to know that's not really ideal.

I have no idea when a new basketball SID will be hired; I'm kinda assuming the university's hiring freeze applies there.

Mike Odom is one of several people in the department who's either been fired or moved on ahead of the curve in the past year, which I think is where some of my frustration stems. For that, sorry for lashing out with the reading comprehension bullshit.

Pete Fisch is another one, Molly Banchaud, Bill Oakes ... shit, I've heard Lynne Heflin was told to clean out her desk a few months before her retirement became official. I mean, the men's basketball account tweeted a video that included Tim Duncan thanking Lynne not even a month ago.

It's been a behind-the-scenes bloodletting that, while to be expected with a new AD, is putting a lot of people who have given Wake a lot of their years out of work. Again, I know it's almost to be expected with a regime change. I just think it's a shitty way to treat people who have poured time into Wake.

Sounds like Currie is spending some of his goodwill capital.

While it's almost always sad to see people you know leave, maybe the new hires will be as good as the baskeball coach hire? Could happen...

I believe Mike Odom moved on to a better situation for himself & his family. He's working a more regular schedule with no evening commitments & is able to spend MUCH more time with his family.

I have no idea when a new basketball SID will be hired; I'm kinda assuming the university's hiring freeze applies there.

Generally a hiring freeze doesn't prevent backfill of vacated positions, but who knows in this case.

Geez Conor, relax man. There was no stones thrown at you here...just pointing out how the new SID department was being significantly upgraded alongside our men's basketball program. It is my understanding that the new associate AD of Athletic Communications is in charge during the transition and the previously noted termination and furlough was intentional. Please let me change my "Pretty sure" to "definitely sure". I'm also "definitely sure" you are a first class journalist and do a great job for the Deacs and I'm "pretty sure" someone must have pissed in your corn flakes this morning to get you all hacked off.

P.S. Great article. Go Deacs!

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but it's generally not a good idea to piss off the only dedicated Wake beat writer in the country. They might lock you up and throw away the key...

Fair enough on all points above. It's been a furlough day only because a one-on-one with Forbes got pushed to tomorrow. Both frustrating.

SD, the hierarchy has never been fully explained. As far as I know, if I want to request an interview with say, Boogie Basham, that gets sent to three SIDs. I haven't been a college beat reporter for long, but I know enough to know that's not really ideal.

Mike Odom is one of several people in the department who's either been fired or moved on ahead of the curve in the past year, which I think is where some of my frustration stems. For that, sorry for lashing out with the reading comprehension bullshit.

Pete Fisch is another one, Molly Banchaud, Bill Oakes ... shit, I've heard Lynne Heflin was told to clean out her desk a few months before her retirement became official. I mean, the men's basketball account tweeted a video that included Tim Duncan thanking Lynne not even a month ago.

It's been a behind-the-scenes bloodletting that, while to be expected with a new AD, is putting a lot of people who have given Wake a lot of their years out of work. Again, I know it's almost to be expected with a regime change. I just think it's a shitty way to treat people who have poured time into Wake.

Wow, surprised Bill Oakes wasn’t held onto. He did an exceptional job every year with the Winston Salem Open. I have a hard time believing Lynne would be pushed out. No hit on her, but her job is answering phones and being a right hand person to the Head Coach. As long as the two have a good relationship I don’t understand why she would get fired. Somebody else is going to fill the position, so it’s not like you’re saving any money.

Thanks Conor!

Jccdeac is right about Mike Odom. Not fired at all. He is in a much better place in life now. Spending time with his (soon to be expanding) family. Seems like Currie may be running a much more hectic schedule with staff and asking a smallish staff to do the work of much larger peer departments. That is probably getting some to question whether they want to stay there or look for other options. And Currie also likely wants to bring in his own people to some extent.

Back