• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Childress is a survivor. Currie and Forbes make wholesale changes and Childress manages to stay around.

Love it! The Childress family are top notch, and hopefully Lil' Chill will want to come back and help out some, too. Once his playing days of over, of course.

Unless, Brandon plays in Uruguay, Luxembourg or the Philippines, I doubt he'll play much pro ball. Maybe he can work his way up to being a HS coach in the next few years.

personally, i am glad that Chill is still part of Wake Forest. he will always go down as my favorite player and i couldn't be happier that i was at Wake during his tenure.

I admit I was interested in seeing what the 6-10 international big man from Texas (was it A&M) could have done as a coach.

Love Childress but would have been ok with him moving into the AD or deacon Club.

I was hoping he would move on just to end this weird bridging of coaches. And because I see little upside to this move. But if Forbes made this choice completely on his own free will, it’s cool. That said, I doubt that’s the case. Imagine a scenario of a mid major coach being hired to take over a major conference school’s flagship program. He’s literally questioned non-stop by media folk about this one legend’s presence and forced to confront the issue. He doesn’t have time to study the intricacies of legend’s relationship with the school and fan base. He’s told he’s a legend non-stop as if the fan base would turn on him for getting rid of legend. That would not be the case but he might’ve been lead to believe it would be. So he said it’s not a hill to die on. If he interviewed 50 people for the job on their own merit, would Randolph really have gotten it? I doubt it.

I don’t really think it’s that deep. Forbes said his primary first task was to re-recruit the roster. Chill made them comfortable enough to stick around (except for Sarr obviously). We’ll see if this is a long term thing, but at least the initial hiring with Shay getting the ETSU job seems pretty straightforward.

(Almost) every assistant coach is on a year to year contract. This is an extremely odd year on the coaching carousel because of epidemic as there was so little coaching turnover and there is no opportunity for coaches to get together (so much of the coaching turnover for assistants is done at the Final 4).

So, when Slay took the ETSU job, there was an open spot on the staff and Childress has been a Power 6 assistant coach for 8 years, and no one available knows WF or the current players better. From that perspective and given the environment, keeping Chill for the upcoming season was a no-brainer. This is essentially a one year interview/eval for Randolph. If Forbes and Chill hit it off, WF will benefit. If they don't, Chill will have a much better opportunity to find other coaching gigs after next season, and Forbes will have a much better opportunity to find assistant coaching candidates as well. Realize people are fixated on ending every connection with the previous staff, but this is Forbes's show and the fact that Chill is around to help does not change that.

Last edited:
I thought there was no chance Childress would be retained as an assistant coach based on the Forbes press conference. I was wrong.

Childress/McKie is probably the best backcourt in the league

A match-up against Scheyer and Nolan Smith would be fun. Let's hope Chill hasn't lost too many steps.

They’re like 15+ years younger. Maybe stick with a game of horse.

Back