• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Not super concerned about nepotism, unless it's pervasive across multiple positions with clearly unqualified people, e.g., well, nevermind. Something to keep an eye on, but not a huge deal. I know there was some Dave Odom controversy, but ultimately, it's that guy's head if it goes to shit. I dunno, Jay Vidovich had his nephew (well, his wife's nephew) as an assistant for years, too.

At the very least, Chris Forbes does actually have experience as a video guy, since he did the same job at ETSU. So he has prior work history actually doing his new job here at Wake.
That's more than the Mannings could say.

Chris seems reasonably qualified and this was expected since Coach Forbes has said all along that his son was coming to perform the same role at Wake.

I'm not big on nepotism, but I'd feel more comfortable if Chris moves up the ranks elsewhere, like Slay hiring him as an assistant at ETSU.

Totally reasonable perspective/preference. Maybe something like that will be the next step/progression in his career (i.e. advancing at another program).

Love Forbes and agree video coordinator is not exactly a high ranking role in the WF athletic department. Even so, the same criticism applies as it did with Manning (in that one area). While a minor issue in the scheme of things, just not the best look.

Just win, baby, just win.
If we win and it entails nepotism, I don't care. If we don't win, it will be of no consolation to me if or that we were pure of nepotism.
Just win.

He's just got to keep the beard under control, is all I'm saying. If he starts waxing it and it gets pointy like Horn's, we'll be tempting fate.

I hear your concern. I feel the trepidation. Understandable. But its mother effing FORBES time! LET'S GO!

He has a masters degree, so that’s good. It also said he worked in social media, graphics, and editing. I looked back at the ETSU Twitter account when Chris was still actively working there, and I was impressed.

The issue I have is that it seems like Chris and Roger Epps (multimedia for basketball) have basically the same job. If we’re going on experience, you keep Roger. He worked at WXII previously, and worked as a producer and created social media content. Maybe Chris will work more on the filming of practices and scouting whereas Roger will do the highlight videos and such? It just seems like the athletic department won’t be willing to pay 2 guys to do one job.

He has a masters degree, so that’s good. It also said he worked in social media, graphics, and editing. I looked back at the ETSU Twitter account when Chris was still actively working there, and I was impressed.

The issue I have is that it seems like Chris and Roger Epps (multimedia for basketball) have basically the same job. If we’re going on experience, you keep Roger. He worked at WXII previously, and worked as a producer and created social media content. Maybe Chris will work more on the filming of practices and scouting whereas Roger will do the highlight videos and such? It just seems like the athletic department won’t be willing to pay 2 guys to do one job.

I can’t remember 100%, but I feel like I heard Forbes say something like his son will be mainly doing scout/practice film.

It’ll never happen but would love to know what Chill thinks of the differences of working for Forbes vs Manning. Granted it’s only been 4-6 weeks with Forbes but still it seems like night and day.

Chill may have the worst winning % as a n assistant coach in all of the power 5. He hasn't sniffed success in almost 10 years.

It’ll never happen but would love to know what Chill thinks of the differences of working for Forbes vs Manning. Granted it’s only been 4-6 weeks with Forbes but still it seems like night and day.

I basically asked this when I talked to him for the story about staying on staff. He didn't want to go into specifics for two reasons: because they haven't had a practice yet and out of respect for the previous staff.

This was the main quote, I think I used at least part of it in the story: "There are some things I can say, but I don’t want to – to me, I don’t want to be insensitive to the previous staff. ... I’m not excluding myself from that. I have to own part of that. I have to own my part in that, as well, and so I don’t want to say, ‘OK, now because I’m in this situation, oh we did all that wrong and that’s not the right way.’ I just think that’s a difficult situation for the staff. And I still respect those guys and I’m thankful for the time I had with them. But it’s too early, really, for me to make any type of comparisons and say what will be different."

I basically asked this when I talked to him for the story about staying on staff. He didn't want to go into specifics for two reasons: because they haven't had a practice yet and out of respect for the previous staff.

This was the main quote, I think I used at least part of it in the story: "There are some things I can say, but I don’t want to – to me, I don’t want to be insensitive to the previous staff. ... I’m not excluding myself from that. I have to own part of that. I have to own my part in that, as well, and so I don’t want to say, ‘OK, now because I’m in this situation, oh we did all that wrong and that’s not the right way.’ I just think that’s a difficult situation for the staff. And I still respect those guys and I’m thankful for the time I had with them. But it’s too early, really, for me to make any type of comparisons and say what will be different."

That seems like a very long-winded “no comment”

That seems like a very long-winded “no comment”

Yes and no. He could've easily flat out said "no comment."

What I posted is about 25% of the answer. Also included were: "That’s something maybe down the line, I’ll give you a very direct and honest answer about it when we get to moving forward." ... "Right now, just personality wise, obviously Coach and Danny are different people. I think anybody who’s spent two minutes talking to them or five minutes around them would know." ... "I think it’s a difficult time, I think it’s a sensitive time right now for me to say anything that can kind of be construed about what they did wrong or what this staff is going to do better than that staff."

Early in the season, maybe I'll revisit with Randolph for his direct and honest answer. Maybe he'll give an illuminating answer; maybe he'll choose for it to be off the record.

Knowing how many timeouts remain in a major college basketball game would be a nice start and a little different. I still can't believe that actually happened. Then again, the last 10 years seem like a bad dream.

What I posted is about 25% of the answer. Also included were: "That’s something maybe down the line, I’ll give you a very direct and honest answer about it when we get to moving forward." ... "Right now, just personality wise, obviously Coach and Danny are different people. I think anybody who’s spent two minutes talking to them or five minutes around them would know." ... "I think it’s a difficult time, I think it’s a sensitive time right now for me to say anything that can kind of be construed about what they did wrong or what this staff is going to do better than that staff."

Early in the season, maybe I'll revisit with Randolph for his direct and honest answer. Maybe he'll give an illuminating answer; maybe he'll choose for it to be off the record.

In other words, no comment yet. Randolph was a great player and all but I’d love to know how he keeps falling into assistant jobs.

“Sources close to the program indicate that Forbes is the MF man whereas Manning SUUUUUCKED.”

"I really wanted to support manning. He's a good guy. Was good to me and my family. But damn. Timeouts? Line ups? No half time adjustments? Always blaming our kids and taking no blame but any credit... damn. That suuuuuuucked."

Nice to see Randolph Childress keep it classy with respect to Paint Touches. A legendary player at Wake Forest and an all time fan favorite playing with confidence and swagger. He was so fun to watch. I hope he finds success as a Coach.

Back