• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Official announcements for Kavaliauskas and Hugley. I really like both of these hires, if only for vibes since they are completely new to this, and I don't really know what all the positions actually entail. But I like that Forbes has an old player and a recent player; I like that he is viewing part of this job as an opportunity to develop coaches potentially, too -- that he's keeping his eye out for talent in that regard; and I like the different paths these guys have taken to get to this point (though somewhat similar college journeys starting with JCs), I think they'll be able to be good mentors with different perspectives on shit.

https://godeacs.com/news/2020/6/23/kavaliauskas-hugley-join-deacs-mens-basketball-staff.aspx

Official announcements for Kavaliauskas and Hugley. I really like both of these hires, if only for vibes since they are completely new to this, and I don't really know what all the positions actually entail. But I like that Forbes has an old player and a recent player; I like that he is viewing part of this job as an opportunity to develop coaches potentially, too -- that he's keeping his eye out for talent in that regard; and I like the different paths these guys have taken to get to this point (though somewhat similar college journeys starting with JCs), I think they'll be able to be good mentors with different perspectives on shit.

https://godeacs.com/news/2020/6/23/kavaliauskas-hugley-join-deacs-mens-basketball-staff.aspx

It’s good to have an international guy in terms of recruiting. It should help recruits feel more open to the idea of playing at Wake since we have a coach who was in the same position as that player is in now. Evan Manning was in the same position on Paint Touches staff if I’m not mistaken.

I don’t think we had a ‘player relations’ guy with Manning. I’m sure the big role of both of these jobs are learning and growing as coach, but specifically the player relations job will be helping recruit and maintain some closeness between the current players and coaches (even though I don’t see that being a problem with Forbes).

I have a feeling that both of these guys will also spend a lot of time coaching up our centers. Hopefully Ody and Tariq will learn a lot with these two experienced big men.

It’s good to have an international guy in terms of recruiting. It should help recruits feel more open to the idea of playing at Wake since we have a coach who was in the same position as that player is in now. Evan Manning was in the same position on Paint Touches staff if I’m not mistaken.

I don’t think we had a ‘player relations’ guy with Manning. I’m sure the big role of both of these jobs are learning and growing as coach, but specifically the player relations job will be helping recruit and maintain some closeness between the current players and coaches (even though I don’t see that being a problem with Forbes).

I have a feeling that both of these guys will also spend a lot of time coaching up our centers. Hopefully Ody and Tariq will learn a lot with these two experienced big men.

Besides being international, he also played pro for 12 years and played on a very good Olympic team.....with a former Wake player. All good stuff. His experience and world view should definitely be an asset for developing our players.

Forbes has hired another asst coach. Matt Woodley.

Woodley comes to Winston-Salem after spending two years at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa as an assistant coach under Darian DeVries. Woodley boasts extensive and diverse experience at the professional, collegiate and high school levels. He has coached 21 future NBA players including Klay Thompson and Hassan Whiteside in addition to serving as the head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies D-League team and an assistant for the franchise's summer league team.

https://godeacs.com/news/2020/9/8/forbes-adds-woodley-to-mens-basketball-staff.aspx

He's got a dizzying resume. He's been around several blocks several times.

I thought the pandemic was bankrupting athletic departments but schools keep hiring.

He's got a dizzying resume. He's been around several blocks several times.

That is an impressive resume. Surprised he is willing to be a "special assistant" and not a full fledged assistant coach. Just about everything on there except D1 head coach. Way more experience on Forbes staff than there was under either of his two predecessors.

Woodley appears to be a good hire with the background and experience to be qualified for the position. Any insight into his recruiting ability?

Forbes is probably covering his bases after realizing that Childress is in over his head.

:couch:

There has been some discussion of this on the 24/7 board. I'm including a couple of links from the Des Moines Register about Woodley and his family.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/2020/05/22/drake-basketball-coach-second-daughter-needing-brain-surgery/5233261002/

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2020/09/08/matt-woodley-leaves-drake-join-steve-forbes-wake-forest-staff-special-assistant/5753379002/

Rough story about his family... He must be a huge Forbes fan to move his family right now.

I love the staff that Forbes has put together.

I can't see Savage or McKie (or Childress) going anywhere else anytime soon, but have to believe Woodley would be the logical "next man up" should we see any turnover.

Forbes is probably covering his bases after realizing that Childress is in over his head.

:couch:

I had that thought, but it sounds like Forbes and Woodley have been talking about this since Forbes took the job.

In terms of recruiting, I think he's known to have good connections in Illinois. Not sure what he is allowed to do in this role, however.

Back