• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

Bilas posted on Twitter yesterday and explained that Wake's the program coaches and players were poisoned to have an us vs. them mentality against the school and fans so all the coaches and support staff with that loser mentality have to be cleared out.

Exactly. They whole staff needs to be gone. The more players that leave, too, the better. Too much poison there.

I think Chill should stay.....

maybe he could work in the AD somehwere

The administration's meddling and cherry-picking assistant coaches has ended under Currie's watch. Thank God!!! You either trust your employees to make sound judgments or you find new employees. It's not difficult but apparently a concept Wellman found impossible to grasp.

Hoping Forbes will use his extensive contacts to bring on an assistant who is an elite recruiter. No problem with Savage joining him, but it would be a bonus having someone on board who brings additional experience recruiting ACC-level prospects.

Forbes is in a hard position with Chilldress. He keeps him, and maybe it helps retain Sarr and Mucius. He doesn’t keep Chilldress, and maybe he loses those players, but he has the full staff he wants. Currie made it clear that the rest of the staff is all up to the coach hired. Whatever decision Forbes makes, it will be his, so we should trust his judgement.

If those guys don’t want to play for a real coach, fuck em. We should know by now that retaining coaches solely due to their inroads with players or recruits is a bad idea.

Let Forbes pick his staff. If he wants Chill or Horn or anyone else on the current staff, then they should be there. If he doesn't, then they go. We hired the man to rebuild the basketball program. He has to get the staff he wants.

chill can hang in the ad and raise money if he wants but forbes deserves to start fresh the only reason ever to keep assistants is to keep a bridge to an old regime (or hold onto players in a recruiting class) there's nothing about the past decade or so that we need to remember or carry with us burn that bridge and don't look back

Love this. I know nothing about McKie as a coach, but he was one of my favorite gamecocks. Can't believe it's been 20 years since he was in college.

All these old guys who are coaches with kids who are playing means we’re old guys too.

chill can hang in the ad and raise money if he wants but forbes deserves to start fresh the only reason ever to keep assistants is to keep a bridge to an old regime (or hold onto players in a recruiting class) there's nothing about the past decade or so that we need to remember or carry with us burn that bridge and don't look back

OMG!!! They are coming out of the woodwork!!!!

How have you been?

Whether Ryan Horn or Mike Starke is the S&C coach will have precisely zero impact on the amount of games Wake wins. Horn has been nothing but a positive representative for Wake and done a great job developing some of our players. I imagine Forbes will probably bring his guy with him so wishing Ryan and his family the best. Hopefully he is able to get another gig somewhere soon.

Fully confident that if Forbes elects to bring anyone back who was a prior rep of WF basketball it will based on the decision that such a move will have a positive future impact on WF basketball. Forbes is well aware how craptastic WF basketball has been, and he will feel no need to keep a bridge to the last decade of awful basketball. Just as it would dumb to tell Forbes who he has to hire on his staff, it is equally misguided to tell him who he cannot hire.

Currie gave him the whistle, now everyone can just get out of the big man's way.

A school with a tortured NCAAT history hiring BJ McKie gives me the willies a bit.

Hopefully together we can find redemption

Let Forbes pick his staff. If he wants Chill or Horn or anyone else on the current staff, then they should be there. If he doesn't, then they go. We hired the man to rebuild the basketball program. He has to get the staff he wants.

Agree with this sentiment. Wouldn’t surprise me if Chill was kept on staff and McKie and Savage joined in. Greg Collins, trainer, should absolutely stay on staff. I don’t care if Ryan Horn stays or doesn’t. It doesn’t make a difference to me. Wouldn’t surprise me either way, but I’m guessing he’ll be let go.

If Forbes doesn't keep Childress on the coaching staff I'm sure he'll be reabsorbed into the AD or Deacon Club in some capacity. Currie won't cut him loose completely, especially now that he's got a valuable week of head coaching experience under his belt. . . .

Bilas posted on Twitter yesterday and explained that Wake's coaches and players were poisoned to have an us vs. them mentality against the school and fans so all the coaches and support staff with that loser mentality have to be cleared out.

All of the coaches on Manning's staff except Chill were Kansas guys. Easy to have an "us against them" mentality when the "us" is all from the same place and shared a common bond as Kansas alums working at Wake. That might have been one of the reasons Chill had little influence and always appeared so tight on the bench.

Here is the list of assistant coaching suggestions I hope Currie gave Forbes:

1._________________
2. ________________
3. ________________

Back