• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

So where will he get the next guy?

McKie is the newest on the staff, and he came after 6 seasons at Charleston Southern. He replaced Brian Collins, who is the head coach at Tennessee State now (good sign if his assistants are getting head jobs, and young ones, at that). Shay had been with him for a while and at multiple stops, Savage has been there the entire time at ETSU, and came from Tennesse-Chattanooga, but knows Forbes from the time at Tennessee.

Edit -- Collins had one other stop before getting the head Tenn. State job.

Last edited:
Official Forbes' assistant coaches thread

Love Chill, but he needs to prove himself at another program.

If he truly wants to be a college basketball coach. I have much more respect for the Josh Howard route.

The only way Chill should get a job on the staff is if Forbes interviews him and is blown away. Randolph will always be my favorite player ever. And I think he has been punished and played the good assistant for 10 years. Nobody hated to lose more than Chill, and I would assume he still has that fire. To bad it was smothered in the wet blank of Buzz and Manning, or as I call them the walking dead.

The only way Chill should get a job on the staff is if Forbes interviews him and is blown away. Randolph will always be my favorite player ever. And I think he has been punished and played the good assistant for 10 years. Nobody hated to lose more than Chill, and I would assume he still has that fire. To bad it was smothered in the wet blank of Buzz and Manning, or as I call them the walking dead.

Agree with this. For all he has done as human shield, Wake should do everything they can to pull some strings to get Chill on staff with a good HC who will show him how to motivate his players to win and how to reach them and teach them to buy into whatever offense and defense he wants them to play. Bz may be a good X's and O's guy, but he sure never seemed to reach the players. Danny seemed clueless about game plans etc.

Chill needs a few years with a great mentor. As a thank you, Wake should make that happen.

BJ McKie has a very similar career arc to Randolph Childress. Close in age, Both were among the best to ever play at their school but their skills didn't translate to NBA success. Both played overseas for many years and got into the assistant coaching games relatively late because of that. Both had sons who went on to play at their Alma Maters (Justin Mckie was a nice role player on final 4 team). Only difference is McKie started out at smaller schools and has worked up to now possibly the ACC level while Childress started out at ACC level but worked under two of the worst coaches in ACC history. Will be interesting to see.

Btw, if you don't remember him as a player its "Mackey" not McKey.

McKie was a leader and a scorer for his team just like Randolph was. I think having McKie and Randolph Childress to work with the guards on your team would be pretty good. They were both very focused, tough dudes. I have often wondered why we never saw Randolph smilng or talking a lot on the bench under Manning. I wonder what might happen if he was let loose as a coach.

I don't really care all that much if I see someone with a regional focus for all or most of his career, but it doesn't look like that Yale guy has ever left the state of Connecticut in his entire life.

Whatever Forbes chooses to do with Chill, it shouldn’t change the overall feeling we have right now. It will be Forbes’ decision, and I’ll trust him with making the best decision for the program.

Chill worked for two awful coaches; no telling if they actually listened to his input or advice. Just giving the benefit of the doubt to Chill, but maybe he was hamstrung by them. I've seen it happen at the high school level and I don't doubt it happens at other levels. And, maybe Forbes calls up Chill, asks him how it was working with Manning, and Chill says "fuck that guy he was an idiot". Or Chill sucks as coach, could also be true.

That said, Forbes should hire who he thinks will help us win consistently. Don't keep Chill just because it will keep Sarr or any player here. Chill can go coach elsewhere for a while, be successful, then come back and coach the Deacs when Forbes retires. Or something like that.

And, maybe Forbes calls up Chill, asks him how it was working with Manning, and Chill says "fuck that guy he was an idiot".

Can't imagine hearing something like that would make you want to hire someone.

Chill worked for two awful coaches; no telling if they actually listened to his input or advice. Just giving the benefit of the doubt to Chill, but maybe he was hamstrung by them. I've seen it happen at the high school level and I don't doubt it happens at other levels. And, maybe Forbes calls up Chill, asks him how it was working with Manning, and Chill says "fuck that guy he was an idiot". Or Chill sucks as coach, could also be true.

That said, Forbes should hire who he thinks will help us win consistently. Don't keep Chill just because it will keep Sarr or any player here. Chill can go coach elsewhere for a while, be successful, then come back and coach the Deacs when Forbes retires. Or something like that.

Childress didn’t have to work for two bad coaches. He chose to do that. He even chose to bring his son in to be coached by a bad coach.

Chill needs to go somewhere else and carve his coaching teeth. Work his way through the ranks.

Curry knows a lot of people, too. Bet he can find Chill a spot with a great coach so he can learn. Of course, I’m guessing he could leRn from Forbes, too.

There are plenty of things to pin on Manning, but even during the rare occasions when Wake was playing well Childress was a statue of displeasure on the bench. He seems like the kind of coach who is critical when you play poorly and when you play well it's what was expected. I don't see how he fits with Forbes at all. It seems to me that Childress had the kind of attitude as a player that doesn't translate to coaching. He could help recruiting maybe, but I just don't see it.

Watch him get announced tomorrow as head assistant coach...

Childress didn’t have to work for two bad coaches. He chose to do that. He even chose to bring his son in to be coached by a bad coach.

Like I said, maybe Chill sucks as a coach. Maybe he did have to work for two bad coaches.

And, I'd prefer Forbes choose someone not associated with the previous staff. I tend to think Chill probably isn't a great coach at this point in his career.

Back