• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

I think it’s important to the program that Tim is involved. I don’t think we should give Randolph a job to make that happen, but it matters. An NBA HOFer and coach can be pretty valuable.

I agree. Not saying this merits putting Chill on the basketball staff (which Chill may not even want if he thought he should be HC), but reasonable steps should be made to keep the greatest basketball player in the history of the school (and still a young man) engaged in the program to whatever extent Duncan feels comfortable with. Loved seeing Tim in his Deacon letter jacket this past season, and hope he stays connected. Chill may need a cooling off period. If he wants to pursue a coaching job, he may have to initially go to a level that he feels is beneath him, and work his way back up. If he doesn't want to do that, I'm sure there's a position within the athletic department that would work, which doesn't involve coaching the basketball team.

i'm just saying randolph being on staff or not doesn't seem to make any difference on tim's level of involvement

That is something we don't really know. Tim has been around more in recent years than he was. And some of Tim's involvement may remain unseen , because that is Tim. He was on the call with Forbes. I don't think that would have happened six years ago.

From what I have heard I don't think there was a lot of love for Kirkland.

The entire Media Relations/SID department at Wake has needed a reshuffling, if not outright change for quite some time. Don't fault Currie at all with this.

They have sucked at their jobs for a long time. Thank you Currie for cleaning this mess up.

buckets no longer #1 bald hero imo

Tim Duncan did start a new job several months ago. So he's not retired anymore.

who cares

childress has been around for decade and tim has been retired and he still hasn't come around much

Most of us who care about the university and the b-ball program care, as they both are fellow alum who have distinguished themselves. I am intrigued that you don’t.

You’re leaving Odom out of this Duncan-Childress conversation.

Childress really needs to leave wake and coach at another school. Set him self apart as a coach and recruiter from the last two disasters. It's a tough year for finding a new coaching gig, but if he really wants a career in coaching, he needs to get out of Wake. If he just wants a career at Wake, he should take a position in the AD somewhere, because what best for the hoops program is to let Forbes run the show completely.

Agree with this. I'd love to see Chill go cut his teeth elsewhere and then come back home as a top assistant. I'm also very in favor of him getting a role in the AD or the DC. He's a very important figurehead to the school and the program and when the ship gets turned around I'd love to see him in the Joel every home game. When we start winning and he's in the AD or DC, it's going to be very easy to gloss over the decade of unwipedass and him being on the bench for it.

Chill in the DC once we start winning again would clean up. Folks will be tripping over themselves to give their money to him.

Chill in the DC once we start winning again would clean up. Folks will be tripping over themselves to give their money to him.

If he has any interest in that. I’d take a sinecure, but I would not want to call people to ask for donations.

I read the Childress situation a little differently. Childress will be available to assist with the transition. Forbes will talk to Childress and see if they click and whether there is a role for Childress whatever that might be with the basketball program or at Wake in general. Given the pandemic and difficult job market it's hard to see Childress not being given a Tom Elrod type role somewhere.

So Lynn Heflin? Greg Collins? It would be really sad to see them go.

GC has responsibility to other teams and as faculty. I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Mrs. Heflin is a Wake basketball icon that hardly anyone knows about. No way she’s leaving.

I believe Chill needs to let go of his ego a little and coach at a smaller school and work his way up. We truly don't know if he can coach or not, if your in your 30's, 40's or 50's we see Chill as a God for WF. He gave me some of my best memories of the Deacs in elementary school.. However, the kids coming up today know very little about who Chill was or is. We've got a coach now who seems to have the right attitude and knowledge to build a program that we can be proud of. We do not need to force anything with Chill, he needs to earn his way to the assistant coach position just like Steve Forbes working his way up.
Chill is one of my favorite players of all time, but its time for him to find his way and not be a distraction(no hand outs). I'm on record saying over and over that he seemed unhappy on the bench all-season. I truly never liked the dad/son combo and felt as though it was a tough position for him, son and Manning. I wish him well but I'm ready for Steve Forbes and his staff to do what needs to be done with out any presence of this propaganda bullshit that gets put on here sometimes from the gray hires stating that we do things a certain way at Wake..

Let put our faith and Forbes and bring on a new path of glory for the days to come!!!!

Back