• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

GC has responsibility to other teams and as faculty. I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Mrs. Heflin is a Wake basketball icon that hardly anyone knows about. No way she’s leaving.

This is not consistent with what I’m hearing

Forbes was about Childress' age when he was fired as part of Bruce Pearl's staff at Tennessee. Forbes went and got the head coach job at Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, FL. He stayed there for two years. Seven years later, he got an ACC head coaching job. No reason Childress couldn't do the exact same thing.

Making connections is huge. That's really paid off for Forbes, he's talked about his many friends in the biz. Chris Jans was one of those, assistant at Wichita who provided a path for him back into the big time when an opening developed there.

Long as RC has done that I'm sure he can find something

Had no clue who that Chris Jans dude was, but damn, he's had a few good years here lately.

Yeah I'm impressed by the company Forbes keeps. he seems to be besties with Nick Nurse and probably no basketball coach has had a better last year than that dude.

You'd think the likes of Jans and Nurse wouldn't be such good friends with him if he didn't know his shit

Ha, I just saw why he got canned by Bowling Green. Nevermind.

But I pretty much agree about the coaches he has associated with. I think that's encouraging.

seems like Gregg Marshall took a couple of chances on coaches down on their luck and it paid off nicely for all of them.

Official Forbes' assistant coaches and basketball staff thread

seems like Gregg Marshall took a couple of chances on coaches down on their luck and it paid off nicely for all of them.

True. Hiring a former SEC assistant turned 62-6 CC coach to an MVC assistant job doesn’t seem like a huge risk though. I wonder if that NAIA guy with the ridiculous record that DBR liked is available for Forbes’ last spot.

Last edited:
just checked Twitter and Forbes (obviously) and Savage have changed their titles on twitter but BJ Mckie still has ETSU coach on his. Not sure if that means anything at all- I'm sure Mckie is busy- but I thought hmmmm to myself.

He hasn't tweeted since April 12. There are a few reports that have him coming to Wake.

Forbes basically confirmed Mckie was coming to Wake in his introduction yesterday.

On his Twitter page he says he is a “Wake Forest Assistant Coach”. All good.

Clearly BJ found the boards and is grateful for the assist.

Official Forbes' assistant coaches and basketball staff thread

Hah, that was quick! No worries BJ, I’m a deacon/gamecock grad so i got you Fam.

Not sad at all. 35 years of great service to the program and lots of young fellows became better men knowing Mrs. Heflin. She was there from Staak thru Mannikin, having to keep the ship working daily. Bless her and a joyful retirement.

Yes, nothing sad at all. She can finally retire, feel good about where the program is heading, and enjoy her family. Well done, Lynn.

Back