• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Forbes' assistant coaches: McKie, Savage, Childress

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score

Who will Forbes hire as his assistant coaches?

This is not a typical coaching carousel with a ton of turnover and a bunch of guys trying to make moves.

Here is his current staff: https://www.etsubucs.com/mbasketball/coaches/

Former South Carolina star BJ McKie is an assistant. The other two have some experience at Tennessee. Forbes' son is a grad assistant. I guess that's just a thing now, but whatever.

Other thread indicated they had seen rumblings that the top guy Shay might be in line to take over, but some wanted McKie.

Someone else mentioned that they kind of like the idea of Forbes having a p5 asst spot to fill, and I think I agree with that. Seems like a guy who will have some connections, know the value of a good staff, and the appreciate the benefit a shake up/new blood can give.

Last edited:
Other thread indicated they had seen rumblings that the top guy Shay might be in line to take over, but some wanted McKie.

Someone else mentioned that they kind of like the idea of Forbes having a p5 asst spot to fill, and I think I agree with that. Seems like a guy who will have some connections, know the value of a good staff, and the appreciate the benefit a shake up/new blood can give.
On their succession note, here's a link from the ETSU board on candidates:

https://herosports.com/college-basketball/etsu-steve-forbes-candidates-wake-forest-ahah

With the new way for kids to make money off the court, we should keep spots for sons or daughters of people who can "hire" our guys.

BJ McKie has a very similar career arc to Randolph Childress. Close in age, Both were among the best to ever play at their school but their skills didn't translate to NBA success. Both played overseas for many years and got into the assistant coaching games relatively late because of that. Both had sons who went on to play at their Alma Maters (Justin Mckie was a nice role player on final 4 team). Only difference is McKie started out at smaller schools and has worked up to now possibly the ACC level while Childress started out at ACC level but worked under two of the worst coaches in ACC history. Will be interesting to see.

Btw, if you don't remember him as a player its "Mackey" not McKey.

I wonder if Horn has any chance at staying. His act got stale on the sidelines of games but he seemed to do pretty well with strength training & conditioning, especially as the team didn't seem to have too many soft tissue injuries.

Let's hope not.

Think that its a lock that Forbes brings Brooks Savage on board. He worked under Forbes at TN, NW Florida State JUCO and ETSU. He has been ETSU's recruiting coordinator since 2015.

At this point going to be hard to make "outside hires", except for those coaches still looking for work. Most college staffs have been set for awhile as the Forbes hiring was the first college coaching change in weeks. All current coaches have signed their contracts for the 2020-21 season (most assistant coaches work on one year contracts).

I hope he returns. Only person on staff that showed any enthusiasm. Ryan Horn is a great guy and positive influence on the student athletes.

That's because there was nothing to be enthusiastic about. He came off as a clown IMO.

Nobody at all from the current staff, please. No Chill. No Beardsley Horn. They are tainted and have demonstrated nothing other than their teams know how to lose.

Forbes is in a hard position with Chilldress. He keeps him, and maybe it helps retain Sarr and Mucius. He doesn’t keep Chilldress, and maybe he loses those players, but he has the full staff he wants. Currie made it clear that the rest of the staff is all up to the coach hired. Whatever decision Forbes makes, it will be his, so we should trust his judgement.

Nobody at all from the current staff, please. No Chill. No Beardsley Horn. They are tainted and have demonstrated nothing other than their teams know how to lose.

I generally agree with this, but as long as the choice is Forbes' alone, I'm fine with whatever direction Forbes selects.

The problem with the [] hire is that Wellman made that hire contingent upon [] keeping all the WF assistants which was idiotic, and told you everything you need to know about [].

Wellman didn't learn, and while not forcing Manning to keep Chill, he made it clear that was his preference.

Confident that Currie is allowing Forbes to do his own thing. If he wants to keep the strength coach or even Chill, it will be for the right reasons.

With that said, I'm fine if no one returns as well.

Bilas posted on Twitter yesterday and explained that Wake's coaches and players were poisoned to have an us vs. them mentality against the school and fans so all the coaches and support staff with that loser mentality have to be cleared out.

Last edited:
Back