• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome Steve Forbes! #ForbesInTheForest #Forbest

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
PRESS CONFERENCE (11a) LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWPndTHnK8k&feature=youtu.be

ATH042720_MBB_Coach_Splash_Page_Graphic_1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
Les confirms the 11a presser for tomorrow, but no official notice I can find.

That is awful. I assume it's a typo? And if not, is it pronounced Forb-est like he is the most Forb, or Forbes-t like Pabst?

If this is the only misstep in the coaching search, I'll take it.

His nickname is #CoachForbest

Or maybe it's For-best as in we weren't going for better or for worse, but for best

This. I’ve been reminded too much of Kelsey’s last minute decision with UMass to be comfortable until I see a presser.

Winthrop to UMass is not ETSU to Wake Forest, no matter how awful we've been.

"I know he's hard-nosed. He preaches defense, which I think with any team, is going to be the biggest key to success, getting them to play defense. He's had success with the different schools he's been with. I hope he can bring that to Wake and get us back on the right track."
- Tim Duncan (Class of 1997), San Antonio Spurs

"Coach Forbest was my first coach in the NBA. We learned a lot with each other. That first year, we made it to the playoffs after only winning 17 games the year before. He did a good job here and I enjoyed playing for him.
- Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets

"Steve is very highly regarded in the NBA and could have had a long career in this league if that is what he wanted. It is a great hire for Wake Forest. He will bring energy and enthusiasm to the team along with a ton of experience. Wake Forest has hired a good man for the long run. Deacon fans will be pleased with Steve's ability and energy. He has a Wake Forest-type personality. It takes a special talent to be a Demon Deacon, and Steve has that talent."
- Pat Williams (Class of 1962), Senior Vice President, Orlando Magic

"Steve was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

"Steve Forbest is one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, hardest working coaches I have ever worked with. His teams in the NBA and college have achieved beyond their talent levels. Recruits to Wake Forest will play for a coach who was successful in the NBA for a long time and will teach them what they need to know to make it to the NBA."
- Stan Van Gundy, Head Coach, Orlando Magic

"Wake Forest has definitely hit a grand slam with Steve Forbest. I've known Steve since we worked on the same staff at Davidson College back in the late 1970s, and I've always respected how hard he has worked at every step in his coaching career. People around the ACC will find out very quickly that Steve is an outstanding basketball coach."
- Rick Barnes, Head Coach, University of Texas

"Steve Forbest combines an incredible work ethic with a razor-sharp basketball mind and will certainly be a credit to Wake Forest both on and off the court. In our 30 years of coaching, he ranks at the top in his ability to relate to players and develop programs."
- Gregg Popovich, Head Coach, San Antonio Spurs

"Steve Forbest is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Steve may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Steve has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Steve has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Steve Forbest."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"What a wealth of experience Wake Forest is getting with this hire. Steve has been a head coach in the NBA, a college assistant and a college head coach -- at very different types of schools. Steve has been an outstanding coach and person in all of them. Wake Forest is getting a terrific coach in Steve Forbest."
- Mike Krzyzewski, Head Coach, Duke University
"I have complete confidence in the leadership at Wake Forest University. I know decisions made are done so to support the best interest of the students, athletic department and University."
- Josh Howard (Class of 2003), Washington Wizards

"I'm very happy for him. I had an opportunity to work under Coach Forbest in Miami. He was very passionate and very hard working and did a lot for me while I was at Miami. Then he moved on and coached a little bit in the pro ranks and then went to college and I think he's going to do a terrific job. He's very knowledgeable about basketball, very hard working and just an extraordinary human being. I couldn't be happier for him."
- Dan Majerle, Phoenix Suns Assistant Coach

"Steve is a great coach who I thought did a good job in the NBA when he had the opportunity. He has visited us at training camp in the past and I have enjoyed spending time with him. He is a nice guy, and I wish him the best of luck in his new position at Wake Forest."
- Jerry Sloan, Head Coach, Utah Jazz

"I think Coach Forbest is a very talented coach. I had a chance to work with him my first year in Denver. With his insight and knowledge of the game, I can definitely say he's going to be a head coach for a very long time."
- Marcus Camby, Portland Trail Blazers

"Steve Forbest is a coach's coach. He is in the select company of people who have been successful at the college and at the NBA level. And, after stints at Colorado, Air Force and Northwestern, he'll understand and embrace the unique athletic and academic culture of Wake Forest University."
- Fran Fraschilla, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"Steve Forbest will be a great addition to the Wake Forest program. He brings a ton of knowledge and experience having coached in the NBA. His coaching style and understanding of the game will help Wake Forest achieve success not only in the ACC, but on the national level as well."
- Flip Saunders, Head Coach, Washington Wizards

"With Steve Forbest there's a level of preparation and organization that he brings to the table. He brings a brandable style of play at both ends, especially on offense where he looks for versatile players with high basketball IQs."
- Dave Telep, Scout.com

"I played for a lot of guys in my career. Steve was terrific. He has a terrific basketball mind, and he comes from the tutelage of Pat Riley. He knows hard work and discipline."
- Jon Barry, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"I am really happy and proud of Steve. This is so well deserved. Steve is not only a terrific coach, but a great person as well."
- T.R. Dunn, Houston Rockets Assistant Coach

"I think the world of Coach Forbest. He's an impeccable X's and O's coach. He has built the program at Colorado to the point where it is really going to take off next year. Also, his characters and values are second to none."
- Bill Hanzlik, Former Denver Nuggets Player (1982-90) & Head Coach (1997-98)

"I know he's hard-nosed. He preaches defense, which I think with any team, is going to be the biggest key to success, getting them to play defense. He's had success with the different schools he's been with. I hope he can bring that to Wake and get us back on the right track."
- Tim Duncan (Class of 1997), San Antonio Spurs

"Coach Forbest was my first coach in the NBA. We learned a lot with each other. That first year, we made it to the playoffs after only winning 17 games the year before. He did a good job here and I enjoyed playing for him.
- Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets

"Steve is very highly regarded in the NBA and could have had a long career in this league if that is what he wanted. It is a great hire for Wake Forest. He will bring energy and enthusiasm to the team along with a ton of experience. Wake Forest has hired a good man for the long run. Deacon fans will be pleased with Steve's ability and energy. He has a Wake Forest-type personality. It takes a special talent to be a Demon Deacon, and Steve has that talent."
- Pat Williams (Class of 1962), Senior Vice President, Orlando Magic

"Steve was an instrumental part of the Miami HEAT in the early years. He was an incredible resource and played a key role in us re-launching the organization. He was a very hard-working and dedicated scout and then as he has moved on in his career has become a very good head coach. I wish him nothing but the best. Wake Forest has picked the right man."
- Pat Riley, President, Miami Heat

"Steve Forbest is one of the smartest, most knowledgeable, hardest working coaches I have ever worked with. His teams in the NBA and college have achieved beyond their talent levels. Recruits to Wake Forest will play for a coach who was successful in the NBA for a long time and will teach them what they need to know to make it to the NBA."
- Stan Van Gundy, Head Coach, Orlando Magic

"Wake Forest has definitely hit a grand slam with Steve Forbest. I've known Steve since we worked on the same staff at Davidson College back in the late 1970s, and I've always respected how hard he has worked at every step in his coaching career. People around the ACC will find out very quickly that Steve is an outstanding basketball coach."
- Rick Barnes, Head Coach, University of Texas

"Steve Forbest combines an incredible work ethic with a razor-sharp basketball mind and will certainly be a credit to Wake Forest both on and off the court. In our 30 years of coaching, he ranks at the top in his ability to relate to players and develop programs."
- Gregg Popovich, Head Coach, San Antonio Spurs

"Steve Forbest is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Steve may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Steve has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Steve has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Steve Forbest."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"What a wealth of experience Wake Forest is getting with this hire. Steve has been a head coach in the NBA, a college assistant and a college head coach -- at very different types of schools. Steve has been an outstanding coach and person in all of them. Wake Forest is getting a terrific coach in Steve Forbest."
- Mike Krzyzewski, Head Coach, Duke University
"I have complete confidence in the leadership at Wake Forest University. I know decisions made are done so to support the best interest of the students, athletic department and University."
- Josh Howard (Class of 2003), Washington Wizards

"I'm very happy for him. I had an opportunity to work under Coach Forbest in Miami. He was very passionate and very hard working and did a lot for me while I was at Miami. Then he moved on and coached a little bit in the pro ranks and then went to college and I think he's going to do a terrific job. He's very knowledgeable about basketball, very hard working and just an extraordinary human being. I couldn't be happier for him."
- Dan Majerle, Phoenix Suns Assistant Coach

"Steve is a great coach who I thought did a good job in the NBA when he had the opportunity. He has visited us at training camp in the past and I have enjoyed spending time with him. He is a nice guy, and I wish him the best of luck in his new position at Wake Forest."
- Jerry Sloan, Head Coach, Utah Jazz

"I think Coach Forbest is a very talented coach. I had a chance to work with him my first year in Denver. With his insight and knowledge of the game, I can definitely say he's going to be a head coach for a very long time."
- Marcus Camby, Portland Trail Blazers

"Steve Forbest is a coach's coach. He is in the select company of people who have been successful at the college and at the NBA level. And, after stints at Colorado, Air Force and Northwestern, he'll understand and embrace the unique athletic and academic culture of Wake Forest University."
- Fran Fraschilla, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"Steve Forbest will be a great addition to the Wake Forest program. He brings a ton of knowledge and experience having coached in the NBA. His coaching style and understanding of the game will help Wake Forest achieve success not only in the ACC, but on the national level as well."
- Flip Saunders, Head Coach, Washington Wizards

"With Steve Forbest there's a level of preparation and organization that he brings to the table. He brings a brandable style of play at both ends, especially on offense where he looks for versatile players with high basketball IQs."
- Dave Telep, Scout.com

"I played for a lot of guys in my career. Steve was terrific. He has a terrific basketball mind, and he comes from the tutelage of Pat Riley. He knows hard work and discipline."
- Jon Barry, ESPN Basketball Analyst

"I am really happy and proud of Steve. This is so well deserved. Steve is not only a terrific coach, but a great person as well."
- T.R. Dunn, Houston Rockets Assistant Coach

"I think the world of Coach Forbest. He's an impeccable X's and O's coach. He has built the program at Colorado to the point where it is really going to take off next year. Also, his characters and values are second to none."
- Bill Hanzlik, Former Denver Nuggets Player (1982-90) & Head Coach (1997-98)
So wrong :D

Did the pandemic actually help us? If Forbes woulda won some games in the dance he would've only been a hotter property and more jobs would've surely been open.

Tons of respect to Currie for being willing to make the move in the current climate when so many others weren't, and with the financial situation with Danny at least still up in the air

Back