• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m tired of hearing the bullshit Forbes only recruits JUCO line, the man is gonna crush it on the recruiting trail here.

Let's run! Excited to see if any ETSU guys transfer. I have seem some others mention this but I think Jalen Johnson, a grad transfer from Tennessee, making a move would make alot of sense being he is from NC and Wake recruited him out of high school.

Watched him a lot at Tennessee the past two years and he could be a decent player for Wake. He is pretty athletic, a decent defender, and is a streaky shooter although very inconsistent from deep. He had a bigger role this past season usually being one of the first ones off the bench at UT but was really inconsistent in performance and minutes throughout the year. He had a few really good shooting performances down the stretch and I think he would most likely have a big role if he decides to join Forbes.

After a year or two of boycotting this thread I am excited to be interested in Wake recruiting and hope that our average recruit number will move down from the 310 of the past to less than 110 in the future. Wilkens is 21-22, right on the chart but incorrect at the top. Hope to hang on to the three most recent entrys in the portal and lure Gibson back if Forbes is impressed. Lets go get Watson's buddy if he is that good and set our sights on a few good transfers for next year and down the road. Go Deacs! Great to have hope again.

I have heard the Juco criticism as well. I believe Forbes will be able to consistently recruit ACC caliber players, something our last two coaches were unable to do.

This is why I was surprised when people said Wake basketball is dead. Bring in the right recruiter who can sell himself and us, and in a couple of years you’re back on track. And hopefully aiming for new program heights.

Even Manning was able to recruit when before he coached a game and right after the First Four. If that’s the floor for Forbes, we are in business.

Having no recruits is better than the average class that Manning has pulled in lately.

Having no recruits is better than the average class that Manning has pulled in lately.

Looks like that theory is going to be tested. Sage Surratt may be WF's leading scorer next year.

Let’s get this Weston kid that plays on the same team as Watson here ASAP. What about the two from Seton Hall and Stanford immediate eligibility

I believe Isiah Wilkins should be added to the chart above for 2020-21 or was he not given a waiver to transfer and play right away?

Last edited:
Saw some chatter on another thread about Ty someone-or-other that was going to ETSU. What's the deal with that guy?

How good of players are TBD. Are those their initials? Interesting that they all have the same initials

Todd Bruce Day
Terry Bobcat Dawkins
Trey Brown Didier
Terrell Bone Dekon

I believe Isiah Wilkins should be added to the chart above for 2020-21 or was he not given a waiver to transfer and play right away?

From Conor's article:

Under normal circumstances, Wilkins would likely need to sit out one season unless he was granted a hardship waiver by the NCAA.

Obviously, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, these aren’t normal circumstances. The NCAA is expected to vote in the coming months on the transfer rule that would grant immediate eligibility to all first-time transfers in football and basketball. It’s also widely expected that complications created by the outbreak mean all hardship waivers will be granted by the NCAA.

I think we have to wait until the May 1 vote, don't we? If not, then I'll ask RSF if he can change it.

Saw some chatter on another thread about Ty someone-or-other that was going to ETSU. What's the deal with that guy?

His name is Ty Brewer. Here's an article about his transfer to ETSU.

“I was thinking about my options, and then everything with the coronavirus happened, so it gave me more time to think about where I would be most comfortable,” Brewer explained. “I came to the conclusion that I wanted to play with my brother again, because I really miss playing with him.”

“He told me how good the program is and how hard they’ll push me, and as an athlete I need to be pushed,” Ty Brewer said. “They play hard, and that’s really all I know about them. The record didn’t matter, but they were 30-4, so besides playing with my bother I knew I would enjoy the program also.”

If he doesn’t have to sit out a year, Ty Brewer said he hopes playing with his brother will be just as special as it was in high school.

“It was magical,” Ty Brewer recalled. “We would just play our hearts out because we knew this was the game we wanted to play for the rest of our lives.”

Despite playing at a really low level of competition (SE Louisiana was ranked #332 according to KP), Ty played really well in out-of-conference games against P5 teams like Mississippi (30 points, 6 rebounds), Vanderbilt (26 points, 12 rebounds), and Oklahoma State (14 points, 12 rebounds). He posted 14.9 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 1.5 steals per game while shooting 34.8% from three. He'd be a very undersized power forward in the ACC, though, at 6'7, 210.

Here's a clip from when he was in HS and playing more of a combo-forward role:

His brother Ledarrius had a promising freshman year at ETSU, but took a pretty big step back as a sophomore. Obviously, we just need bodies right now, so I would be open to taking both and seeing how it works out. There will be minutes in the perimeter rotation based on the fact that Childress, Brown, Johnson, Wynn, Wright are definitely gone and Massoud and Neath are exploring transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back