• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great pickup in Daivien. Solid piece to the rebuild for Forbes. I hear he is also a really good kid.

Is that new? He was going to ETSU before the coaching change, so that's still the official stance, I think. I don't even know if he officially announced he was opening up his options, that's just been the word on these here boards.

Excited is relative here. We need bodies. Johnson would be better than any true freshman we’re likely to pick up at this point. He is good enough to see the floor here and will have better numbers simply because of the increased availability of playing time for us. Since he will only be here one season, he will not prevent us from using that scholarship for the 2021 class where we have the potential to pick up a more talented player.

If we get Jalen Johnson, does this bode well for us getting Harry Giles? Combo deal?

If we get Jalen Johnson, does this bode well for us getting Harry Giles? Combo deal?

With Brandon Childress already committed, I think we'd have a good shot at Giles after bringing Jalen Johnson into the fold, as well.

And don't forget about Kwe Parker!

Dominos starting to fall.

Nice. Eligible immediately. Dig it. Let's get it done.

Delaware has some good players coming back and Mutts is keeping options open. I have seen where he said he would only move if it was for an upgrade in competition to a conference like the ACC or SEC. Let's see if anybody else in ACC gets involved.

Apologize if this has already been mentioned, but Mutts started out at High Point in 2017-8, playing for former Heel Scott Cherry. High Point fired Cherry, and then, Mutts sat out 2018-9 while transferring to Delaware. He then started for Delaware this past season as a redshirt sophomore. So, while having only played two years of college basketball, Mutts is entering his 4th year of college. Not sure if transferring for a second time, without getting a waiver the first time would help or hurt Mutts' chances for a waiver. If Mutts doesn't get a waiver, he would likely lose a year of eligibility as he has already sat out once.

In that article it mentions he has already graduated from Delaware, so will be eligible immediately and have two years to play.

Last edited:
McKie started following Chevez Goodwin and Makhtar Gueye a couple weeks back. Gueye is a 6'10 grad transfer center who averaged 7 and 5 at UAB last year. He appears to see himself as a stretch big, even though the results are pretty mixed.

It was reported that our staff reached out to Justin Smith when he first announced his transfer, but now folks are saying that we're not that interested in him. I have no idea why since he's a better option than anybody we're currently talking to, Mutts included.

Les Johns reported a few weeks back that we might have been interested in Bernat Vanaclocha, a center at Polk State Junior College, but I haven't seen anything develop on this front and none of our coaches are following him on social media.

All of this is to say that Mutts would be a massive pickup at this stage in the game. Smith/Mutts/Goodwin/Gueye is my preferred order, assuming all of these guys are in play.

Apologize if this has already been mentioned, but Mutts started out at High Point in 2017-8, playing for former Heel Scott Cherry. High Point fired Cherry, and then, Mutts sat out 2018-9 while transferring to Delaware. He then started for Delaware this past season as a redshirt sophomore. So, while having only played two years of college basketball, Mutts is entering his 4th year of college. Not sure if transferring for a second time, without getting a waiver the first time would help or hurt Mutts' chances for a waiver. If Mutts doesn't get a waiver, he would likely lose a year of eligibility as he has already sat out once.

I'd rather have him than Johnson. I fear he may be too light for ACC play....

McKie started following Chevez Goodwin and Makhtar Gueye a couple weeks back. Gueye is a 6'10 grad transfer center who averaged 7 and 5 at UAB last year. He appears to see himself as a stretch big, even though the results are pretty mixed.

It was reported that our staff reached out to Justin Smith when he first announced his transfer, but now folks are saying that we're not that interested in him. I have no idea why since he's a better option than anybody we're currently talking to, Mutts included.

Les Johns reported a few weeks back that we might have been interested in Bernat Vanaclocha, a center at Polk State Junior College, but I haven't seen anything develop on this front and none of our coaches are following him on social media.

All of this is to say that Mutts would be a massive pickup at this stage in the game. Smith/Mutts/Goodwin/Gueye is my preferred order, assuming all of these guys are in play.

I think on Justin Smith you have it backwards. Obviously we’d be interested there but he has a long list of those recruiting him and I don’t think we’ve gotten a lot of traction.

I also think we need to prioritize both height and bulk now that other commitments have come in.

In a perfect world, yes. But it’s June and the staff and players can’t travel. The list of available ACC level prospects that can play next year is very small. If there was a strong, skilled 6’10 option out there he would be one of the most sought after players in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back