• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're in the 2020 class, it's much more likely you're playing basketball if you stay put rather than reclassify.

Butler/Weston/Edwards +/- Whitt/McCray would be one hell of a honeymoon class. Get it done, Steve!

From the OSU website:

MOBERLY AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE: Played two years at Moberly Area Community College in Moberly, Mo. … Led the Greyhounds to a 28-7 record, Region 16 championship and a trip to the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Tournament in 2019 … Averaged 18.5 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2.7 assists, while shooting 59.1 percent (262-for-443) from the field, 32.6 percent (28-for-86) from beyond the arc and 74.2 percent (95-for-128) from the free throw line as a sophomore … Averaged 10.1 points and 6.6 rebounds, while shooting 57.6 percent (133-231) from the field as a freshman.

He didn't attempt a three last year at OSU, but had a couple of nice games throughout the season. He didn't have any offers out of high school, so it looks like that's why he went the JuCo route. Was recruited by Oregon State, Buffalo, Massachusetts, Cleveland State, and Coastal Carolina, so it looks like he committed to the best offer and couldn't really crack the rotation on OSU team that 17-13 on the season.

I kind of think we could do better. What do y'all think?

There's not much about him on the internet. Here is an OSU blog:

A JUCO transfer from Moberly Area Community College prior to the 2019-2020 season, Miller-Moore saw action in 29 games this past season for the Beavers, averaging 8.9 minutes, 2.7 points and 1.9 rebounds per game. The 6’ 5”, 200-pounder did shoot an efficient 67.9% from the floor, but never found a cemented role within the team and often saw action in fragmented sections. Miller-Moore is the second player to leave the program this off-season, after forward Payton Dastrup announced his decision to leave at the start of last month.

and an article from last summer:

“I grew up faster than a lot of other kids,” said Miller-Moore, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound guard and junior college transfer from Toronto, Ontario. “I didn’t have rides to practice. I didn’t have my parents there to pay for my bills, for AAU trips and stuff. I really had to figure out everything by myself.”

It wasn’t until he was in 11th grade that he realized he wanted to pursue the sport going forward. He says a lack of guidance was a primary factor why he went the junior college route and landed at Missouri’s Moberly Area Community College in Moberly, Missouri, where he played for two years.

He averaged 18.5 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2.7 assists as a sophomore last season, helping the Greyhounds to a 26-7 record, a regional title and a berth in the junior college national tournament.

That helped him reel in a Division I scholarship and make another step forward. He sees basketball as his best current opportunity.

“If I wasn’t playing basketball I don’t know what I would be doing. So I try to play with a chip on my shoulder. I try to take every situation seriously,” Miller-Moore said. “When adversity hits me I do anything to figure it out. I don’t put my head down. I do anything to figure it out. I grind and it’s all I’ve got.”

He signed with Oregon State in late April.

Beavers coach Wayne Tinkle describes Miller-Moore as “an incredible athlete with a high motor and will bring toughness and athleticism to our forward positions.”

“He's a great kid who has been through a lot growing up and has faced a ton of adversity,” the coach added. “He has a great support group back home and has worked his tail off to get where he is.”

Toughness and athleticism were the focuses of Oregon State’s efforts for the incoming recruiting class.

Miller-Moore used the word “tough” to describe his own attributes.

“I’ll do anything to win,” he said. “Whatever coach needs me to do I’ll do it. Good in transition, can make the right play.”

Oregon State was OK: 18-13 (7-11) and Miller-Moore was 8th in minutes for them, and scored in double figure once all year. He can't shoot at all. In addition to ZERO threes, he shot 44% from the line. I would pass.

If Sarr doesn't come back, correct me if I'm wrong but that leaves only Ody and Tariq to plug the lane?

I know he's not a big man but looks like he is tough enough to bang around a little bit. IDK but I know we need warm bodies.

Oregon State was OK: 18-13 (7-11) and Miller-Moore was 8th in minutes for them, and scored in double figure once all year. He can't shoot at all. In addition to ZERO threes, he shot 44% from the line. I would pass.

I agree. a 6'5 guard who didn't even attempt a three.

Was thinking about Keatts when he took the job at NCSU... Feels like that is a good baseline or comparison for what we're dealing with here.

His classes since being hired in May 2017:

2017 - #13 in ACC - Batts (99) & Beverly (321) - Both were decommits from elsewhere (VCU & Ohio State)
2018 - #6 - Bates (104), Steere (139), Hellens (141) - Funderburk transferred in from Ohio State & Bey (137) decommitted and went to Villanova (and has been very good)
2019 - #8 - Taylor (37) & Seabron (129) - Andree transferred in from Liberty & Jalen Lecque never saw campus (NBA)
2020 - #5 - Hayes (63), Moore (124), Farrar (161), Dowuona (297) - Josh Hall will never see campus (NBA)
2021 - #1 (so far) - Ross (43) & Smith (108)

That's pretty good... Definitely didn't get a big honeymoon in '17, but the '18 class was good (and would have been even better w/ Bey). And obviously, this would look even better if Lecque and Hall ever suited up for the Wolfpack.

I'd like to think Forbes could do even better... But if this is the level of player we're able to bring in, I think Forbes can have us in the NCAAs sooner than later.

Keatts also had a couple of transfers I forgot to mention:

2017 - CJ Bryce (UNCW) & Devon Daniels (Utah)
2018 - Blake Harris (Mizzou) & Wyatt Walker (Samford)

Seems like what Forbes is going to have to do... Bring in a couple of transfers that are good enough to crack the '21 rotation, and recruit a number of solid '21 players.

And then you use whatever success you've had to bring in some more 4 & 5 star guys in '22 and beyond.

To be clear on State, the #37 recruit "Taylor" in the 2019 class was AJ Taylor. He was the #37 JUCO recruit. He was not the #37 recruit in the country.

So, in three full seasons under Keatts, State had one top 100 HS recruit actually play for the Pack: #99 Lavar Batts. Batts played ineffectively for one season, and transferred to UNC Asheville.

State's best players to date under Keatts were Markell Johnson, who Gottfried recruited, transfers CJ Bryce and DJ Funderburk. None of Keatts HS recruits have really contributed much as no Keatts-recruited HS player has averaged even 10 ppg in any of Keatts 3 seasons in Raleigh.

FWIW, in 3 seasons, Keatts really has not shown much. There is no doubting that he is John Wooden compared to what the coaching situation has been at WF until last week, but his teams have gone into late-season fade mode, which is a bad sign. They somehow went 0-5 this past season against BC, UNC and GT. State's defense is always soft if you can break their pressure. Also, never have gotten the feeling that his players like playing for him that much (realize that is as subjective as it gets), but when Keatts got the State job, I initially felt like he might take that program to consistent top 20 or better status. Don't feel that way anymore.

Last edited:
Just a head's up that Les is doing a great job covering recruiting on the 247 site. If you're into Wake Forest basketball recruiting, then you should definitely consider subscribing.

We need a minutes projection with our current roster and a minutes projection with neath and Sarr added.

An interesting question could be what will be done re:years of eligibility if next year is less than a full regular season.

I’m surprised that Les and Josh did not ask about Gibson or Bailey. I know it was reported earlier that Brooks Savage had reached out to Gibson but nothing since. Bailey’s dad said they would talk to the new staff but haven’t seen anything. I’m assuming that one or both parties in each case agreed not to move forward but was still curious.

Those two have opted out. No sense talking about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back