• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems that the early general consensus is a Vandy lean, especially since he played for Stackhouse's AAU team. Apparently his transfer portal had a notice for coaches to not contact him, which could mean he knows where he is going already or alternatively that he just doesn't want to be bothered right now.

@WFUStats made a great point to me today. He saw Neath posting about the Oregon State transfer on his IG (both from Toronto. If he could help lure Neath/Sarr, the. It’s well worth the scholarship.

I’m surprised that Les and Josh did not ask about Gibson or Bailey. I know it was reported earlier that Brooks Savage had reached out to Gibson but nothing since. Bailey’s dad said they would talk to the new staff but haven’t seen anything. I’m assuming that one or both parties in each case agreed not to move forward but was still curious.

No sense asking about it and embarrassing the kids and their families further.

I highly doubt that we pulled Gibson's scholarship.

No idea on Bailey, but if Adams is still coming, I'm not sure why Bailey's would hve been pulled.

To be clear on State, the #37 recruit "Taylor" in the 2019 class was AJ Taylor. He was the #37 JUCO recruit. He was not the #37 recruit in the country.

So, in three full seasons under Keatts, State had one top 100 HS recruit actually play for the Pack: #99 Lavar Batts. Batts played ineffectively for one season, and transferred to UNC Asheville.

State's best players to date under Keatts were Markell Johnson, who Gottfried recruited, transfers CJ Bryce and DJ Funderburk. None of Keatts HS recruits have really contributed much as no Keatts-recruited HS player has averaged even 10 ppg in any of Keatts 3 seasons in Raleigh.

FWIW, in 3 seasons, Keatts really has not shown much. There is no doubting that he is John Wooden compared to what the coaching situation has been at WF until last week, but his teams have gone into late-season fade mode, which is a bad sign. They somehow went 0-5 this past season against BC, UNC and GT. State's defense is always soft if you can break their pressure. Also, never have gotten the feeling that his players like playing for him that much (realize that is as subjective as it gets), but when Keatts got the State job, I initially felt like he might take that program to consistent top 20 or better status. Don't feel that way anymore.

Agree with all of this... It's apples and oranges, but I was trying to give a potential roadmap of how a roster is constucted in these situations.

The bloom may be off of Keatts at this point, but they went from 15-17 (4-14) in Gott's last season (w/ Dennis Smith, no less) to 21-12 (11-7) in the first year w/ Keatts. Plus a 9 seed in the NCAAs. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

24-12 (9-9) & 20-12 (10-10) may be treading water a bit, but no Lecque and no Hall in back to back years is at least somewhat unlucky.

Also, good catch on Taylor being a JUCO.

Marcus Watson falls to 232
Quadry Adams shows up at 461

Jaylon Gibson - 342
Djimon Bailey - 469

I think Watson can play in the ACC... Gibson getting interest from other schools, but that's largely due to the fact that the vast majority of ranked players already know where they'll be going in the fall. Adams and Bailey?

Bottom line... That is/was an underwhelming class, at best. Let's do better for '21.

Hearing Neath is probably gone. USC or BYU.

Can't seem him at BYU, but that's just me.

Wonder if Sarr leaving gives us a better shot at Romello White.

It's ludicrous for Watson to fall over 100 slots without anyone playing a game and him ending season the way he did. Those rankings can't be taken seriously.

It's ludicrous for Watson to fall over 100 slots without anyone playing a game and him ending season the way he did. Those rankings can't be taken seriously.

What rankings would you take seriously?

At this point, got to think WF is offering essentially every D-1 recruit with a pulse that has not committed.

I mean, if you look at the new Top 150 that 24/7 posted today... There are only a few players not spoken for. I forget the exact number, but it was less than 5.

From #151 to UR, I'm not sure how that looks... But probably better to focus on a grad transfer that you don't need to keep for more than a year.

Honestly, we need both... Diamond in the rough recruits & grad transfers (and regular transfers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back