• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. WF really doesn't have anyone else to lose, unless one of the guys who announced they're returning change their mind.

But then also root for it to be a one time thing because it'll almost certainly hurt WF more than it helps WF in the long term.

I don't agree that the one time transfer rule would have a long term adverse impact on WF.

If/when WF becomes a consistent winning program, players are going to want to come here, not leave. The best examples of this are UVA, Texas Tech and Baylor. For years, those programs were an afterthought in college basketball's world. Now, players look to play there and transfer there (each of those schools are expected to be top 10 programs next year, and six college players are transferring to those three schools; no one of consequence is transferring out). If Forbes is the real-deal (and I think he is), WF is not going to be a program where players look to leave to other "better" programs, players will want to stay (FWIW, Forbes has a regular contributor from Tennessee, transfer to ETSU after this past season) and players from other programs will want to play for WF.

Fully confident that over the next 10 years, far more desireable players are going to want to transfer into WF, than out. Also, to the extent a great player leaves WF early in the future, it will be for the NBA not for some other NCAA program.

I don't agree that the one time transfer rule would have a long term adverse impact on WF.

If/when WF becomes a consistent winning program, players are going to want to come here, not leave. The best examples of this are UVA, Texas Tech and Baylor. For years, those programs were an afterthought in college basketball's world. Now, players look to play there and transfer there (each of those schools are expected to be top 10 programs next year, and six college players are transferring to those three schools; no one of consequence is transferring out). If Forbes is the real-deal (and I think he is), WF is not going to be a program where players look to leave to other "better" programs, players will want to stay (FWIW, Forbes has a regular contributor from Tennessee, transfer to ETSU after this past season) and players from other programs will want to play for WF.

Fully confident that over the next 10 years, far more desireable players are going to want to transfer into WF, than out. Also, to the extent a great player leaves WF early in the future, it will be for the NBA not for some other NCAA program.
I agree with everything you posted but the issue is getting to that point, which takes time (longer than WF just having a good season or two). I think that WF is more likely to be harmed by the rule while on its journey back up the mountain than it is to benefit from it. Until & unless WF can work its way to being a destination school, players who have success could look to play for a national title or more national TV exposure at a top tier school instead of a solid/rebuilding WF. Furthermore, the recently approved "profiting off your likeness" rule makes me believe that larger state schools will be able to better "incentivize" players/recruits with that rule.

Given the people we're losing, I'm surprised there hasn't been more noise around late additions to the 2020 recruiting class. But maybe aiming for transfers at this point is the better move.

Given the people we're losing, I'm surprised there hasn't been more noise around late additions to the 2020 recruiting class. But maybe aiming for transfers at this point is the better move.

Keep in mind that Forbes has been on the job for a week and that he is forbidden for meeting any recruit in person.

Keep in mind that Forbes has been on the job for a week and that he is forbidden for meeting any recruit in person.

Yeah, but there are plenty of offers going out to 2021 guys. Just hasn’t felt like adding more 2020 guys is a priority for him.

Yeah, but there are plenty of offers going out to 2021 guys. Just hasn’t felt like adding more 2020 guys is a priority for him.

just because Forbes was not at wake before this week does not mean he was unaware of 2020 guys still available. I am much more comfortable with him putting his time into the 21 class...then offering 2020 guys just because they are left over. If there is someone still available in the 2020 class that coach things is a great fit and will help turn this program around...best believe it was one of the first kids he reached out to.

Recruiting dead period in effect until May 31. Its really hard to do much recruiting under those circumstances. That may be part of the reason Forbes is on every radio show he can get on.

It's May. The school year starts in a few months. The vast majority of 2020 players (especially those that are worth a damn) already know where they are going to school. That's why Jaylon Gibson is getting so much attention after de-committing. He didn't suddenly get really good. He just got really available.

There's virtually no one worth a damn left in 2020.

Apparently, one of the biggest issues was that 10 (with Sarr) of Danny's previous 12 signees left Wake. Taking bodies that can't play to fill out a roster all but guarantees them leaving. We're going to suck next year. Let's not sign a bunch of deadwood players because we have openings.

So if Forbes convinces a Beadle or Lucas Taylor to commit, does that take the scholarship of someone like to 4 stars Carter Whitt or Brandon Weston? Both of these latter ones are now "warm" to Wake...

Weston has said he isn't re-classifying. Whitt hasn't yet.

It's May. The school year starts in a few months. The vast majority of 2020 players (especially those that are worth a damn) already know where they are going to school. That's why Jaylon Gibson is getting so much attention after de-committing. He didn't suddenly get really good. He just got really available.

This

Weston has said he isn't re-classifying. Whitt hasn't yet.
Current status is all are '21 recruits, IIRC

Its a tough place to be in for a new staff and Covid-19, to boot. I just hope we don't miss some higher targets because of the panic frantic scramble we are in at the moment....

Danny "offered" a ton of top guys or at least, the recruiting sights have them listed as "Targets" . I wonder if any of the new staff is seriously after some of these...?

If there is a 20-21 season, we will be historically bad due to Danny's horrific exit. I hope Forbes accepts the bad year and goes balls to the walls for 21

I wonder if Alan Dickens has any eligibility left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back