• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap, I didn’t watch much basketball this year for obvious reasons so I had to look up how Jerry stackhouse did in his first year at Vandy. How about 9-22 and 0-18 in the SEC. I think we can beat them for a recruit.

Great thread, thanks! Question - are there still some top-100 2020s uncommitted? Even if they haven’t been linked to WF yet.

would be sweet if Forbes can connect with John Buck, running one of the better programs in the country up in Long Island

Is that Weinstein guy intelligent? he claims it's a big deal that we offered because Taylor is from Wake Forest ("This is big-time competition for Vandy since Taylor lives in Wake Forest..."). Then he says maybe not because Taylor has never been to the campus. does this schmoe know that the two and the university are 100 miles away from each other?

Holy crap, I didn’t watch much basketball this year for obvious reasons so I had to look up how Jerry stackhouse did in his first year at Vandy. How about 9-22 and 0-18 in the SEC. I think we can beat them for a recruit.
That was Bryce Drew’s last year . Stackhouse didn’t have great year but they showed signs of improvement at end of season.

I'd take Bryce for 2020 or 2021. Solid player from NY who reclassed from 2020 down to 2021 when he transferred to Greensboro day, but he could come in now. Wing player at 6'4 with 6'6 wingspan, about 205lbs, 32 inch vert. Can shoot at a high percentage, dunks on people, rebounds, good passer, blocks shots. Nice do it all wing.

I haven’t been this into recruiting since the Skip/Dino days, once campus opens and Forbes starts building relationships i feel like he’s gonna kill it in recruiting.

I'd take Bryce for 2020 or 2021. Solid player from NY who reclassed from 2020 down to 2021 when he transferred to Greensboro day, but he could come in now. Wing player at 6'4 with 6'6 wingspan, about 205lbs, 32 inch vert. Can shoot at a high percentage, dunks on people, rebounds, good passer, blocks shots. Nice do it all wing.

The Greensboro Day program is excellent. Those kids are well coached and play really hard.

The Greensboro Day program is excellent. Those kids are well coached and play really hard.

Also, keep in mind Forbes was probably a frequent visitor at Oak Hill Academy located Mouth of Wilson, Va. WFU also only about 90 mins. from Oak Hill.

I haven’t been this into recruiting since the Skip/Dino days, once campus opens and Forbes starts building relationships i feel like he’s gonna kill it in recruiting.

Forbes had a reputation as a really, really good recruiter when he was an assistant coach. The list of impressive HS freshmen he recruited is posted elsewhere. I suspect the recent reputation he has of "recruiting JuCos" is actually a sign that he adapts to circumstances and learns from them. He spent two years coaching at a JuCo. He had lots of winning and success - NJCAA tournament victories and finals. He saw first hand that there is talent in JuCo guys. He may have figured out that ETSU wasn't attracting a lot of pre-NBA or even near NBA level players. So he got the best players he could get, and some of those were the JuCo guys like he had coached.

I like the adaptability in recruiting. Wake isn't for every kid out there. I trust Forbes to pretty quickly figure out how to identify guys who will come to Wake and do well. However, I suspect there will be a learning curve here. One of the avenues he used to get talent to ETSU is effectively closed to him for recruiting guys to Wake. Forbes also talked about his ability to adapt both his offense and defense schemes. He noted that he plays to the strength of the guys he has, not to some preconceived fixed scheme about how to do things. That will help him win at Wake, because Wake doesn't select and summon players. There have been many "near misses" in recruiting at Wake over the years. I expect there will continue to be those near misses. However, I expect them to be fewer, and the backup options better as Forbes gets a handle on what works for recruiting to Wake.

Your statement is very true, Coach Johnson comes to a great many Wake games but has not really pushed many players our way. I could never figure that out.

Your statement is very true, Coach Johnson comes to a great many Wake games but has not really pushed many players our way. I could never figure that out.

Some HS coaches like to be shmoozed a bit. I could see Forbes being good at that. He seems like the kind of guy who would sit at the bar with a high school coach, have some beer, and before too long, be drawing up plays on cocktail napkins. Here's a glass of red, ruddy Rhenish to Forbes building good relationships with area (and other) high school coaches.

That was Bryce Drew’s last year . Stackhouse didn’t have great year but they showed signs of improvement at end of season.

whoops- you are correct, I googled SEC standings and it showed me the 2018-19 standings instead of this year. This year Stackhouse was 11-21 and 3-15 in conference. Like I said, I haven't watched my usual amount of college hoops in about, hmmmm, 10 years give or take.

To be fair, he would have been pushing them into a bad situation with sub-standard coaching.

Forbes had a reputation as a really, really good recruiter when he was an assistant coach. The list of impressive HS freshmen he recruited is posted elsewhere. I suspect the recent reputation he has of "recruiting JuCos" is actually a sign that he adapts to circumstances and learns from them. He spent two years coaching at a JuCo. He had lots of winning and success - NJCAA tournament victories and finals. He saw first hand that there is talent in JuCo guys. He may have figured out that ETSU wasn't attracting a lot of pre-NBA or even near NBA level players. So he got the best players he could get, and some of those were the JuCo guys like he had coached.

I like the adaptability in recruiting. Wake isn't for every kid out there. I trust Forbes to pretty quickly figure out how to identify guys who will come to Wake and do well. However, I suspect there will be a learning curve here. One of the avenues he used to get talent to ETSU is effectively closed to him for recruiting guys to Wake. Forbes also talked about his ability to adapt both his offense and defense schemes. He noted that he plays to the strength of the guys he has, not to some preconceived fixed scheme about how to do things. That will help him win at Wake, because Wake doesn't select and summon players. There have been many "near misses" in recruiting at Wake over the years. I expect there will continue to be those near misses. However, I expect them to be fewer, and the backup options better as Forbes gets a handle on what works for recruiting to Wake.

Good post.

Could somebody re-post or send me that Forbes recruit list? I was looking for it elsewhere and now that things are busy here....thank you!

To be fair, he would have been pushing them into a bad situation with sub-standard coaching.
This has been going since the mid 90’s so your premise is wrong. Only GDS player that I remember was Aaron McMillan and that was when Dave Odom was coach.

Good post.

Could somebody re-post or send me that Forbes recruit list? I was looking for it elsewhere and now that things are busy here....thank you!

Strickland 33 on the old recruiting thread.

Here is the text:

As an assistant, this dude was an absolutely insane recruiter.

Louisiana Tech
2000-20003
-Recruited, among others, Paul Millsap

Texas A&M
2004-2006
-Recruited, among others, DeAndre Jordan, Donald Sloan, and Bryan Davis

Tennessee
2006-2011
-Recruited, among others, Tobias Harris, Jordan McRae, Josh Richardson, Scotty Hopson, Jarnell Stokes, Duke Crews, Wayne Chism, and Trae Golden

Wichita State
2013-2015
-Recruited, among others, Landry Shamet and Markis McDuffie

Freddie Johnson goes to a lot of Wake games and has been a fan in the past (untli Bz and Manning) but he is a Carolina guy with Wake close behind However that being said, Freddie will direct or encourage his kids to go to the best fit for THEM regardless of the level they are at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back