• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just bringing all these offer/interest reports into one place (also in the first post):

2021:

2022:

Am I missing anybody?

My snap take is that Weston, Edwards and Whitt are the best prospects by offer. McCray has some intriguing size if he's actually 6'3/6'4. Murray State offering early is a good sign since their taste in under-the-radar point guards has been outstanding as of late. The other guys seem fine, but seem more ETSU-caliber prospects imho and based on cursorily watching a few youtube clips.

So would you say Forbes' ETSU-caliber prospects are better than Manning's recruits?

I don't think we're going to get the typical honeymoon due to the late hire, lack of in-person recruiting, high number of already committed 2021 players, and uncertainty around the 2020-21 season. I think a coach in this situation would typically try to get some bodies for the next year and go all in on some top level recruits for the next class. I think Forbes is just trying to offer any player he can for 2020 and 2021 who fits his playing style knowing that it all may essentially just be one class when it comes down to it.

Imagine this scenario. College basketball gets pushed back from starting with practice in October and games in November to practice in January and games in February. 2021 guys may be able to graduate early and start their freshman year.

So would you say Forbes' ETSU-caliber prospects are better than Manning's recruits?

I don't think we're going to get the typical honeymoon due to the late hire, lack of in-person recruiting, high number of already committed 2021 players, and uncertainty around the 2020-21 season. I think a coach in this situation would typically try to get some bodies for the next year and go all in on some top level recruits for the next class. I think Forbes is just trying to offer any player he can for 2020 and 2021 who fits his playing style knowing that it all may essentially just be one class when it comes down to it.

Imagine this scenario. College basketball gets pushed back from starting with practice in October and games in November to practice in January and games in February. 2021 guys may be able to graduate early and start their freshman year.

I get all the reasons but sometime soon I would like to stop explaining why we are offering unranked or low-ranked players and start discussing all the highly-ranked players we are involved with.

Could we please start offering Top 50 guys?

We're not going to get Top 50 guys at this point and at least half of the Top 50 guys are one-and-done, a game that schools outside of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Arizona are best to stay away from as it's a bitch to re-load EVERY year.

If Forbes could pull it off, a 2021 class of Whitt - (#74 on 247 Composite), Weston - (#77) and Van der Heijden - (#140) + one other player in that range would be a HUGE step forward vs. the last 6 years with the exception of the Crawford/Moore/Collins class.

We need to offer some top guys just to get our name back out in the mix.

We may not know that a Top 50 player loves CP3 or Tim or Chris. Even if they say no, at least we'll be in the game.

Recruiting is going to change in the next 24-36 months. It's good that Forbes is seeing some underrated players, but let's for it!

I'll defer to Coach Forbes on how he wants to go about recruiting.

I sincerely think he cares less about a player's ranking vs. his own personal opinion on whether or not they can play.

And if we're being honest, we aren't pulling any Top 50 kids for '20 and probably not for '21. Those relationships need to have been developed already. The "elite" players will want to come once Forbes has more of a track record.

Manning and his staff made plenty of Top 50 offers... That doesn't mean shit if you are one of 30 offers and have no chance of landing a kid. I don't think Manning and staff sucked as bad at recruiting as most seem to... I just think that they were hamstrung once it was obvious that he couldn't coach a lick (and that it was obvious he wasn't going to be at Wake much longer).

Sort of agree with ATS and RJ:

Trust Forbes to assess talent. A few of these dudes are slicing through the defense like a hot knife through butter - me like. Who cares what they're ranked.

That said, if we don't go fishing, we aren't going to catch any fish. So, maybe offer the occasional top 50 guy, presuming some initial level of interest.

Just thrilled this is all actually exciting again!

You don't know if you have a chance until you try. The worst that happens is top AAU people get to know you better.

Barring decommitments, there really aren't any top guys in play for 2020.

^ Yep. Let's also not forget how much P5 recruiting experience Forbes has. I'm in no way worried that he wouldn't make the mental quality adjustment from ETSU recruiting to ACC recruiting.

Also, love the strategy of recruiting exclusively left-handed guards. Better get some left-handed scissors for those nets.

ETA: I was "yepping" ATS, but ended up below RJ

The only way to recruit successfully at Wake is the Clawson model: personal evaluation and locate players who love to compete, who have the skills to compete and who value a quality education. It is a lot of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back