• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Yep. Let's also not forget how much P5 recruiting experience Forbes has. I'm in no way worried that he wouldn't make the mental quality adjustment from ETSU recruiting to ACC recruiting.

Also, love the strategy of recruiting exclusively left-handed guards. Better get some left-handed scissors for those nets.

ETA: I was "yepping" ATS, but ended up below RJ

At this point, I expect him to split the difference between the Tennessee big time conference recruiting model and Wichita State good program in a weaker conference model.

The offers are flying out, and it is obvious the new staff is hard at work. Forbes knows what he wants. Easy to trust him to build a winning team when all Forbes ever does is win.

In 2-3 years, there won't be more than a couple of Top 25 players going to college. If we can get a foothold in that Top 30-100 range, we can challenge the top echelon teams. Forbes found good, underrated guys when he was at P6 schools. He can do it here, too.

I would not be shocked to see Roy, K and Boeheim retire very soon after the new NBA CBA. It will be much harder for them to recruit. Hell, it would be the first time in decades Roy and K would actually have to recruit not select players. An opening for us could sitting right there.

Jay Wright was the Coach of the Decade of the 10s. I would be surprised (assuming he stays) if he's not the COD in the 20s as well. No one has been able to identify the Top 30-100 guys like he has. Hopefully Forbes can be in the discussion.

Man some of those kids Forbes just offered look really good in their tape.

Man some of those kids Forbes just offered look really good in their tape.

Honestly, this is the difference (so far) between [Redacted]'s and Manning's 3-star recruits and Forbes's.

I'm going to hold off judging these guys because I've lived through too many sunshine brigade overhype sessions, but my hunch is that Manning and [Redacted] were recruiting guys that they thought, for whatever reason, would come to Wake. Sure, they threw out offers to Top-100 kids to make it look like they were doing something, but their recruiting targets were guys that would be easily convinced to come to Wake.

It's why I quit doing this thread because, by the end, Manning was recruiting at a SoCon level and not even a decent SoCon level. It was just a pathetic effort. Hopefully the Forbes-era is different. Like bigboy, these guys look like players. Even the UR/3-star ones.

Lucas Taylor and Heijden look like solid parts of a good ACC level basketball team to me.

I meant to include Joshua Beadle in this post as well.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a kid put together the first half of a tape of air balls, bad passes, etc.

In for those lefties and the Center with the specs and the nice touch from the outside for a big man.

Forbes and staff are probably contacting the players they have already established relationships with while at ETSU and could develop into productive ACC players. Most bang for the buck out of the starting gate. Childress is probably contacting recruits the Wake staff had offered to initiate relationships with Forbes. Their are four Top 100 recruits Wake has offered that aren't warm on any schools according to 247 and two (Weston and Whitt) that are warm on Wake. That's a start.

In 2-3 years, there won't be more than a couple of Top 25 players going to college. If we can get a foothold in that Top 30-100 range, we can challenge the top echelon teams. Forbes found good, underrated guys when he was at P6 schools. He can do it here, too.

I would not be shocked to see Roy, K and Boeheim retire very soon after the new NBA CBA. It will be much harder for them to recruit. Hell, it would be the first time in decades Roy and K would actually have to recruit not select players. An opening for us could sitting right there.

Jay Wright was the Coach of the Decade of the 10s. I would be surprised (assuming he stays) if he's not the COD in the 20s as well. No one has been able to identify the Top 30-100 guys like he has. Hopefully Forbes can be in the discussion.

Interesting take.

Forbes and staff are probably contacting the players they have already established relationships with while at ETSU and could develop into productive ACC players. Most bang for the buck out of the starting gate. Childress is probably contacting recruits the Wake staff had offered to initiate relationships with Forbes. Their are four Top 100 recruits Wake has offered that aren't warm on any schools according to 247 and two (Weston and Whitt) that are warm on Wake. That's a start.

Agreed!

Lucas Taylor and Heijden look like solid parts of a good ACC level basketball team to me.

That may be the plan. Get a supporting cast in place in 2021 and got for big time recruits in 2022.

Forbes creating options since we could need a ton of players this season and next.

Last edited:
Can’t believe some guys are already bitching about Forbes’ recruiting. He probably knows his stuff, don’t you think?

Yeah, let me clarify my stance on Top 50 guys.

I am in no way saying we shouldn't recruit Top 50 guys... You obviously want to bring in the best talent you can.

I'm just of the (relatively uninformed) opinion that it is a weird time to try to start those relationships from scratch. I'm sure Forbes (and his staff) already know most of the AAU coaches and all of that... I just think you probably go after kids you already know and the kids that have some connection to Wake (even if it is just geography) for '21.

Tend to agree w/ Ph commentary about building a base in '21 and swinging for the fences in '22 and beyond, when there are some "green shoots" (if you will) in the Wake Forest basketball program. I think we'll have a very good '21 class, but there will be a need for a lot of bodies in that class... I'll let Forbes constuct the roster from what he thinks we need.

But sure, if some of the higher ranked kids look attainable... Why not?

Even if they aren't attainable, get the name out there again. Show that we're players again.

Even if they aren't attainable, get the name out there again. Show that we're players again.

The Wake Forest name has been out there w/ Manning offering a number of highly ranked players... The problem is that the Wake Forest name has been shit for a few years now.

When I looked on 24/7 the other day, I think I saw that Manning had made over 40 offers for the '20 class.

Manning offers seem like a transaction. Kid gets to tweet a Wake offer to make him look serious about academics and Manning gets to look like he’s doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back