• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommendations for Forbes to encourage Student and Community Involvement

Sports marketing needs to make a strong push spinning the narrative to “what can we do to help your business grow in the community” instead of hey “Hey Mr. small business owner. Please buy a block of tickets from us”...

It’s no different than any sales person needing to bring added value. Convince these business owners that Wake is dedicated to their growth and them staying staples in the community and by partnering with the deacon club it’ll bring them an ROI of X amount of new customers, more revenue, expose/free advertising, etc.

We just need to get strategic.

And initially the focus needs to be directed towards bringing back past supporters who are disengaged for obvious reasons. We need to do away with the “what have you done for me recently” mentality and appreciate those who gave $100 or $100,000 5/10/15 years ago. Go after those individuals and businesses and have open conversations about what these past supporters need in order to become involved again. The simple answer is wins but there could be many situations that it’s more than just wins.

In other words, they need to consult Creamy Goodness Marketing Inc. for all of the scoops on how to drive revenue and ticket sales.

Two things Skip did when he first got here:
1) Went around to each dorm and held impromptu meetings to tell the students how important we would be to the team’s success. I still remember a Chi O coming around Babcock telling everyone to meet out on the volleyball court, and Skip telling us about moving the student section, needing tall walk-ons, and just the importance of supporting the team. Got me hyped right away.
2) Midnight Madness at Reynolds gym. I could be mistake. But I don’t think we’ve done this since Skip’s first year. It was a blast though. The players were having fun, Pat Kelsey even played some point guard, and it really just helped students feel connected to the team.

Sports marketing needs to make a strong push spinning the narrative to “what can we do to help your business grow in the community” instead of hey “Hey Mr. small business owner. Please buy a block of tickets from us”...

It’s no different than any sales person needing to bring added value. Convince these business owners that Wake is dedicated to their growth and them staying staples in the community and by partnering with the deacon club it’ll bring them an ROI of X amount of new customers, more revenue, expose/free advertising, etc.

We just need to get strategic.

And this approach needs to go beyond athletics. Does Wake have an office of community engagement?

Great posts, Creamy.

Is that basketball logo new? I like it.

And this approach needs to go beyond athletics. Does Wake have an office of community engagement?

Great posts, Creamy.

If Wake doesn't have such an office, that is another change Currie needs to make. With a basketball team to get excited about, Wake and especially Wake Athletics Department needs to build toward Wake being the Triad's Team.

I sent Currie some thoughts on how to do that, involving having a local "high school of the week" acknowledged at home football games and some kind of "prize" for the school. Something like band day, but for the whole school, not just the band.

If Wake doesn't have such an office, that is another change Currie needs to make. With a basketball team to get excited about, Wake and especially Wake Athletics Department needs to build toward Wake being the Triad's Team.

I sent Currie some thoughts on how to do that, involving having a local "high school of the week" acknowledged at home football games and some kind of "prize" for the school. Something like band day, but for the whole school, not just the band.

I think there are sometimes issues with promotions involving eligible recruits. It’s why it’s usually middle and elementary schools getting free tickets.

I think there are sometimes issues with promotions involving eligible recruits. It’s why it’s usually middle and elementary schools getting free tickets.

That is quite possibly an impediment to my earlier thought. I leave it to Currie and the NCAA compliance staff to figure out what could be done and not run afoul of NCAA rules.

For logos, videos and branding, I’ve noticed the past week has had a Pearl Jam Vitalogy look.

Maybe Conor asks John Currie if he is a Pearl Jam fan?

I’m sure this happens in some meaningful way already, but a greater emphasis on men and women’s sports teams going to each other’s games should be a focus. That should happen routinely and not necessarily be mandated, but it could catch on and help create a tight knit culture on campus. If there were 75 football players in the student section at Wake MBB games (when possible) that would make a huge difference, and I bet more and more students would come out.

But yeah...just win and all problems will be solved. Excited for the first time in a very long time. Go Deacs!

I’m sure this happens in some meaningful way already, but a greater emphasis on men and women’s sports teams going to each other’s games should be a focus. That should happen routinely and not necessarily be mandated, but it could catch on and help create a tight knit culture on campus. If there were 75 football players in the student section at Wake MBB games (when possible) that would make a huge difference, and I bet more and more students would come out.

But yeah...just win and all problems will be solved. Excited for the first time in a very long time. Go Deacs!

Couldn’t agree more. Athletes supporting athletes.

Are buses available to transport students from the campus to the Joel and BB&T for home games?

Forbes specifically mentioned that in his letter to Deacon Nation in the WSJ today.

2) Midnight Madness at Reynolds gym. I could be mistake. But I don’t think we’ve done this since Skip’s first year. It was a blast though. The players were having fun, Pat Kelsey even played some point guard, and it really just helped students feel connected to the team.

Just to build on this - we have a brand new basketball facility, and I'm going to guess most normal run-of-the-mill students won't ever really get to see it during their time on campus. Host a midnight madness in there and let the students see the facilities and see just how much money we've invested in the team. It wasn't really until my junior year when I got more involved in covering sports for the OGB that I got to see the behind the scenes facilities and was impressed; what we have now is far beyond what was in the Miller Center during our time.

Back