• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommendations for Forbes to encourage Student and Community Involvement

Just to build on this - we have a brand new basketball facility, and I'm going to guess most normal run-of-the-mill students won't ever really get to see it during their time on campus. Host a midnight madness in there and let the students see the facilities and see just how much money we've invested in the team. It wasn't really until my junior year when I got more involved in covering sports for the OGB that I got to see the behind the scenes facilities and was impressed; what we have now is far beyond what was in the Miller Center during our time.

There’s not enough room in the Shah Complex. Reynolds has bleachers, and is now the home of the volleyball team. It went under extensive renovations a couple of years ago. It gets loud in that gym, and it’s set up to host competitions. It would still be a great place to have a midnight madness. Definitely something they should bring back.

The freshmen last year got to tour the new facilities. It was an effort to try and get more fans in the stands for football games. I think it worked. I’ve noticed student attendance at the football games have gone up exponentially. Now we just need them to stay for all four quarters.

There’s not enough room in the Shah Complex. Reynolds has bleachers, and is now the home of the volleyball team. It went under extensive renovations a couple of years ago. It gets loud in that gym, and it’s set up to host competitions. It would still be a great place to have a midnight madness. Definitely something they should bring back.

The freshmen last year got to tour the new facilities. It was an effort to try and get more fans in the stands for football games. I think it worked. I’ve noticed student attendance at the football games have gone up exponentially. Now we just need them to stay for all four quarters.

There was midnight madness in Reynolds this past season.

Why ? I can't imagine my college self thinking, "Hey, Phillip Barnhill is undertaking a certain action. I must emulate his actions !"

Yeah, but if it was Keith West you'd be all over it; and Foy White?...whew, don't even get me started!

There was midnight madness in Reynolds this past season.

Ohh, yep that’s right. I think I remember seeing Neath throwing one down. As deaconson points out, it was probably pretty embarrassing. This year, I’d bet (and hope) it would be packed with students.

2) Midnight Madness at Reynolds gym. I could be mistake. But I don’t think we’ve done this since Skip’s first year.

Lol, y'all don't remember the Midnight Madness when they couldn't figure out how to lower the baskets? Had to be Bzz or Manning times.

Lol, y'all don't remember the Midnight Madness when they couldn't figure out how to lower the baskets? Had to be Bzz or Manning times.

I was at that one. I think it was Manning's second season. That was a shitshow. I legitimately felt bad more Mike Odom and the rest of sports marketing and whoever else was in charge of that.

I though they only had one functioning basket, so they had to do half court shenanigans. Many thought we were nearing rock bottom at the time. Nah, not even close lol.

Oh you mean the one that Harry Giles was at? Which is about the same time that he attended a fully packed real Midnight Madness at Duke. He chose Duke for a bunch of reasons but comparing those two events was easily the best indication of both programs at the time.

I was at that one. I think it was Manning's second season. That was a shitshow. I legitimately felt bad more Mike Odom and the rest of sports marketing and whoever else was in charge of that.

During one of [Redacted]'s the smoke machines set off the fire alarm.

So small time.

Whenever campus gets opened for students to return, he should text and tweet "see you on the Quad at midnight." Granted, toilet paper may be in short supply but that's life. No Quad rolling required.

Obviously the easiest answer is win games but I think to bring in "new fans" you need a lot of personal interaction like an open practice now and then with a meet and greet afterwords. This gives the fans (especially young ones) a real interest in the players and the team. Also when the Deacon Tower first opened they held a free tour. It was pretty awesome and really got me pumped. I've emailed the athletic department a couple of times over the years and asked if they offered any tours of the new facilities but never got an answer. I think it would really get people jacked up to be able to walk through the weight rooms, training, film, locker areas to get a good feel for the program. This gives you the chance to meet coaches and see what goes into the given athletic program. Currie really needs to focus on building the fan base back up by focusing on young people (kids).

Also if the marketing department doesn't pass these out for the Duke/UNC games they are missing the boat.
81XyAD1qU8L._AC_SY606_.jpg

Obviously the easiest answer is win games but I think to bring in "new fans" you need a lot of personal interaction like an open practice now and then with a meet and greet afterwords. This gives the fans (especially young ones) a real interest in the players and the team. Also when the Deacon Tower first opened they held a free tour. It was pretty awesome and really got me pumped. I've emailed the athletic department a couple of times over the years and asked if they offered any tours of the new facilities but never got an answer. I think it would really get people jacked up to be able to walk through the weight rooms, training, film, locker areas to get a good feel for the program. This gives you the chance to meet coaches and see what goes into the given athletic program. Currie really needs to focus on building the fan base back up by focusing on young people (kids).

Good ideas. Also include current students in the facility tours. Need to help reconnect regular students with the student athletes. Significant portions of the Wake campus have been converted from all student use to reserved for only basketball and football student-athletes.

One of the appealing things at Wake has been the interactions between varsity athletes and the rest of the student body. My non-athlete room mate used to shag balls for Chuck Ramsey when it was off-season. They did that where McCreary Fieldhouse and the football practice fields are now. I wonder if that could happen today.

Also if the marketing department doesn't pass these out for the Duke/UNC games they are missing the boat.
81XyAD1qU8L._AC_SY606_.jpg

Gotta believe Forbes would love this

BTW, ESPNU replayed the 2005 Duke @Wake game yesterday afternoon. Oh man, both Top 10, National TV, 14,000+, 2,000+ students jammed in the end court, Paul and Reddick dueling, K frowning at Skip and visa versa and a loose ball scuffle at mid court....oh my!

Won’t be long folks!!!

Back