• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommendations for Forbes to encourage Student and Community Involvement

Agree. No problem with the student only event. I think it's actually a great idea. But the handling of this event from the SID side of things was pretty awful, but I guess that's what you get with numerous SID staffers seemingly either fired, replaced or furloughed.

Not having an SID for basketball right now is what has made this a disaster for the media (as Conor has said before). The football guy seemingly has done a good enough job for covering football, but I don’t understand AT ALL how you can possibly do so horribly with all of these video streams. They promoted the stream for days on end tweeting and tweeting, clearly saying that the call will be made available on Youtube for non-students. How in the hell were Clawson and Forbes not informed that it was a public call? Just a complete clusterfuck. They need to do better. Conor, I’ve got my fingers crossed that they’ll find a good basketball SID for the media (especially you and Les), and things will get more organized within that department.

I appreciate the comments, I really do.

Here's what I found interesting while the recorder was rolling today:

- Forbes is back "home" in Johnson City because it was raining so much around here, but added later that his house there sold within a day of being listed.

- "What an unbelievable opportunity for me and my family to come and help lead this program back to national prominence. And that’s what we want to do. We want to put Wake Forest back on the map. We want to wake up Wake. How’s that? Maybe we’ll put that on a t-shirt. Wake up, Wake."

- "I want to make it fun for you guys to come to the game. And that’s my job. I look at it as my job to help make your experience as a student, fun. And so we’re going to play a fun style of basketball, we’re going to play so hard that our hair is going to get on fire. As you could see, we played so hard here I don’t have any hair left."

- Within Forbes' point of how important home-court advantage is, he said at NW Florida State and Wichita, neither team ever lost a home game. And ETSU lost 12 in 5 years. So 12 home losses in the last 9 years ... Wake lost 13 home games in the last 2 years.

- "When we get out of this pandemic, back to the new normal, I’m going to meet with you on campus, invite you to the office. And we’re going to talk about what we can do to improve student engagement and student attendance."

- "If you come to practice, which you can come and watch, I will say 100 times in practice, grab the ball with two hands. Catch the ball with two hands." (the 'you can come and watch' practice aspect of things is so very enticing right now, but I still don't know who exactly that applies to.)

- "I’m not going to tell you we’re not going to recruit McDonald’s All-Americans because we are, but I made a living – and you’ve heard this – of recruiting Burger King All-Americans that want to kick McDonald’s ass. So I want guys with a chip on their shoulder, I want guys that want to represent Wake on their jersey. Those are the kind of guys I want."

- (question was what can students do to make student section unique and exciting): "Show up. Just show up, man. And get there and be fun, have fun with it, get excited, get on your feet. When you see a great play, applaud it. Yell at the refs – keep it clean. Be sportsmanlike.
"And just support the heck out of those guys. Because they’re going to play hard and they’re going to play with some pride. You know what we’ve gotta do? We’ve gotta get some swag. We’ve gotta get some swag back in our game.
"We’ve gotta come there with some swag, like we expect to win, OK? Just having you there and screaming and yelling and – just have fun. We’ll get coordinated on some things, on some t-shirts or some cheers.
"I think these are things that we can all do together and I’m telling you, this is a partnership. It’s just not me, it’s all of us. This is our program."

- (continuation of same answer): "The arena here (in Johnson City), Freedom Hall, is 10 minutes off campus. It’s just like the Joel. We’ll help you get there, you can get there. You’ve gotta get out of your dorm, you’ve gotta get on your bus or you’ve get in the car, whatever you’ve gotta do. Get over there, get in there and have fun. And I’m just telling ya, you’ll make a difference. You will make a difference with that."

- Clawson extended an invite to Forbes to visit a practice whenever those resume.

- "We do the same defensive drills every day. I number the practices, starting in the summer all the way through to the end. ... We’ll do shuttle drill, zig zag, diamond drills – these are all defensive drills we will do every, single, day. No matter what day it is. So it’s ingrained in them that defense is the most important thing."

- And either Forbes was estimating with his "625 unanswered texts" line, or he's answered 29 of them in the past week and a half: He said he's down to 596 unread texts.

“Maybe we’ll put that on a t-shirt. Wake up, Wake."

That comma is doing a lot of work. Could make shirts with or without the comma.

I appreciate the comments, I really do.

Here's what I found interesting while the recorder was rolling today:

- Forbes is back "home" in Johnson City because it was raining so much around here, but added later that his house there sold within a day of being listed.

- "What an unbelievable opportunity for me and my family to come and help lead this program back to national prominence. And that’s what we want to do. We want to put Wake Forest back on the map. We want to wake up Wake. How’s that? Maybe we’ll put that on a t-shirt. Wake up, Wake."

- "I want to make it fun for you guys to come to the game. And that’s my job. I look at it as my job to help make your experience as a student, fun. And so we’re going to play a fun style of basketball, we’re going to play so hard that our hair is going to get on fire. As you could see, we played so hard here I don’t have any hair left."

- Within Forbes' point of how important home-court advantage is, he said at NW Florida State and Wichita, neither team ever lost a home game. And ETSU lost 12 in 5 years. So 12 home losses in the last 9 years ... Wake lost 13 home games in the last 2 years.

- "When we get out of this pandemic, back to the new normal, I’m going to meet with you on campus, invite you to the office. And we’re going to talk about what we can do to improve student engagement and student attendance."

- "If you come to practice, which you can come and watch, I will say 100 times in practice, grab the ball with two hands. Catch the ball with two hands." (the 'you can come and watch' practice aspect of things is so very enticing right now, but I still don't know who exactly that applies to.)

- "I’m not going to tell you we’re not going to recruit McDonald’s All-Americans because we are, but I made a living – and you’ve heard this – of recruiting Burger King All-Americans that want to kick McDonald’s ass. So I want guys with a chip on their shoulder, I want guys that want to represent Wake on their jersey. Those are the kind of guys I want."

- (question was what can students do to make student section unique and exciting): "Show up. Just show up, man. And get there and be fun, have fun with it, get excited, get on your feet. When you see a great play, applaud it. Yell at the refs – keep it clean. Be sportsmanlike.
"And just support the heck out of those guys. Because they’re going to play hard and they’re going to play with some pride. You know what we’ve gotta do? We’ve gotta get some swag. We’ve gotta get some swag back in our game.
"We’ve gotta come there with some swag, like we expect to win, OK? Just having you there and screaming and yelling and – just have fun. We’ll get coordinated on some things, on some t-shirts or some cheers.
"I think these are things that we can all do together and I’m telling you, this is a partnership. It’s just not me, it’s all of us. This is our program."

- (continuation of same answer): "The arena here (in Johnson City), Freedom Hall, is 10 minutes off campus. It’s just like the Joel. We’ll help you get there, you can get there. You’ve gotta get out of your dorm, you’ve gotta get on your bus or you’ve get in the car, whatever you’ve gotta do. Get over there, get in there and have fun. And I’m just telling ya, you’ll make a difference. You will make a difference with that."

- Clawson extended an invite to Forbes to visit a practice whenever those resume.

- "We do the same defensive drills every day. I number the practices, starting in the summer all the way through to the end. ... We’ll do shuttle drill, zig zag, diamond drills – these are all defensive drills we will do every, single, day. No matter what day it is. So it’s ingrained in them that defense is the most important thing."

- And either Forbes was estimating with his "625 unanswered texts" line, or he's answered 29 of them in the past week and a half: He said he's down to 596 unread texts.

All very encouraging to read!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Back