• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RJ's political-1947 NYC vaccinated 6M in <1 month -Lin Wood says he's 2nd coming

I’ll be surprised if the SC kills the ACA.

Not shocked, but I think the odds are against it.

With the anticipated construction of the court, I think they’re more likely to eventually overturn (essentially) Roe and a bunch of other stuff.

I guess we’ll see.

I’ll be surprised if the SC kills the ACA.

Not shocked, but I think the odds are against it.

With the anticipated construction of the court, I think they’re more likely to eventually overturn (essentially) Roe and a bunch of other stuff.

I guess we’ll see.

Given that the last vote on the ACA was 5-4, with Roberts voting with the liberals, I think Barrett will definitely vote to kill it, and it will be a 5-4 vote to abolish. I do agree about the Court going after cases and prior rulings on cultural and social issues. If they do, I think it could really backfire on Republicans politically, as the Democrats have generally been winning the culture wars, and I don't think the great majority of Americans will take kindly to having landmark rulings or congressional legislation on abortion rights, gay rights, voting rights, minority rights, etc. overturned or blocked. There's been a great deal of complacency about these issues, as I've even heard some liberals say that they just don't believe the Court will overturn liberal decisions on social and cultural issues. If that changes, the Republicans may have a case of "be careful what you wish for" on their hands in future elections.

We’ll see.

I think the legal grounds of the ACA challenge are skimpy and the immediate consequences so great they won’t kill it.

Seems more likely they’ll kill the mandate but allow its severability. If I’m using these terms correctly (not a lawyer).

Some people are saying it could be possible to have 50,000,000 votes banked by Friday between early in-person voting and mail-in. If I remember correctly this would be about 35-40% of the total vote count of the last election.

Although today was a win for voting rights it portended a terrible future for voting and other rights. This was a really simple case about voter suppression. The four radically right Justices voted as one not to count PA votes. Had Barrett been on that decisions tens of thousands or more PA voters would have had their constitution right stripped from them.

If Biden wins and has the Senate, he can use this and ACA as overwhelmingly popular reasons to expand the Court. If he frames it with these decisions, the majority of Americans will support him.

If my candidate wins an HB City Council seat, I'm guessing if he asks for peace and quiet there will be - Tito Ortiz.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kn...tured-giuliani-in-hotel-bedroom-scene-reports

"The 76-year-old former New York mayor is heard complimenting the supposed reporter and following her to a bedroom, where eventually he stretches out on the bed.

Vanity Fair describes the scene captured on hidden cameras, saying of Giuliani, "His hand is in his pants. Watching it, your brain turns into an exclamation point."

Cohen, as Borat, then reportedly runs into the hotel room sporting a bikini and exclaiming, "She's 15. She's too old for you."

Ron Paul was victimized by both Ali G and Bruno. Has anyone hit the trifecta of being fooled by Sasha Baron Cohen characters?

Trump didn't like Leslie Stahl asking real questions. He cried and walked out. That is 100% in character for him. But releasing his own tape of it only shows it to millions who may not have seen him acting like a petulant child.

Good job Donnie!

We’ll see.

I think the legal grounds of the ACA challenge are skimpy and the immediate consequences so great they won’t kill it.

Seems more likely they’ll kill the mandate but allow its severability. If I’m using these terms correctly (not a lawyer).

With the Pubs getting rid of the mandate, they're going to have to be more creative to kill it, but I don't see it being outside the realm of reason. I think it's more likely they kill Roe and gay marriage. And my biggest fear that I mentioned in another thread is the court being willing to hear election cases this Nov-Dec. They declined hearing the PA case on a 4-4 tie. Barrett presumably would have voted to hear it. Post-election SCOTUS challenges may be aplenty.

In honor of the inevitable dancing around everything during the debate, we must honor Christopher Walken.

what the hell is that. i love it, but what the hell.

I just loved the dancing. The music was secondary. Most importantly, it's Christopher Walken. :)

With the finish line finally in sight, there could be a lot more than just to top job. Is this going to be a one time voter explosion? Will Texas start trending purple? Will the Senate turn? Will our elections turn to mail-in voting as places like OR and UT have for decades?

Why not? You can't win if you don't think can win.

Several years ago, I guessed that TX would be purple by 2024 or 2028.

I hope the Senate gets to a tie or an edge for Dems. I really want to see them add two more states. If the Supreme Court overturns ACA, the public will support expanding the Court. If they do so, it needs to be to 15 Justices.

There's no reason not to go to mail-in voting.

Back