• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

So the cost of something went up and they're deciding not to pay for it.

One of the vestiges of slavery is that so many business models depend on exploited labor. The 13th amendment addressed the practice (kinda) but never addressed the desire for exploited labor. The sooner we realize that, the sooner we can fix it.

it's interesting driving around and seeing the fast food signs slowly creep up the salaries posted on their signs. the Sonic by me was offering $17 now it's $20. Taco Bell was $12 now it's $17.

Sounds like someone obviously trying to avoid discussing *actual* labor walkouts. Quick scan of the thread shows his one and only comment is alluding to longshoremen hypothetically opposing a vax mandate.

There is an expected ILA strike coming in the new year having zilch to do with vax mandates. And given the scope of the supply chain problems we are facing at our ports, it could have catastrophic downstream effects. That said, I hope the ILA gets over big time. Their pay needs to be a direct function of the cost charged by shipping cos for moving cargo. Cost to move a container from China to the US is up more than 10x vs 2 years ago, yet that profit is not being realized downstream by longshoremen or truckers.

At face value it appears they would have a ton of leverage due to how important they are and the massive issues currently being faced. Yet at the same time, there is a movement towards automation that is going to be a massive part of their negotiations.

My post had fuckall to do with vax mandates and everything to do with the interconnected world of cargo movement that is impacted when things like pilots allegedly staging sickouts (SW moves 5M tons of air cargo daily), or longshoremen having an organized work stoppage.

it's interesting driving around and seeing the fast food signs slowly creep up the salaries posted on their signs. the Sonic by me was offering $17 now it's $20. Taco Bell was $12 now it's $17.

I wonder if they're bumping pay for already contracted employees or if ff workers who are staying are quitting to bounce to another ff job

My post had fuckall to do with vax mandates and everything to do with the interconnected world of cargo movement that is impacted when things like pilots allegedly staging sickouts (SW moves 5M tons of air cargo daily), or longshoremen having an organized work stoppage.

I apologize for putting words in your mouth. I was wrong. My assumption was based on your comment directly following the remarks about the pilots.

I wonder if they're bumping pay for already contracted employees or if ff workers who are staying are quitting to bounce to another ff job

wondered that too, especially with ones offering a signing bonus of $500 or $1000.

wondered that too, especially with ones offering a signing bonus of $500 or $1000.

I just challenged people in North Carolina on this, hiring 70 new workers, publicly posted jobs with salary target, almost all significantly higher salaries than current employees in the same positions, good luck.

More than I make hourly as an RBT.

I assume nobody should have a campus student job anymore in college, no way they are keeping up with pay.

the opportunity cost of work study was always a shitty calculation compared to finding even menial work off campus

i could finish a full school day and work at the writing center helping students with awful english and terrible composition skills for a couple bucks off the principal of my student loan a week or i could pack boxes at the UPS store for $12.50 an hour

I assume nobody should have a campus student job anymore in college, no way they are keeping up with pay.

The benefit of work study or campus jobs in general is not having to drive somewhere else to work and getting work hours around their class schedule. That way they don’t have to cut hours or more likely drop classes. But yeah, they can’t keep up with $17/hr+. More power to em. Get paid.

Last edited:
This American life had an interesting episode a few weeks about about how the pandemic changed the nature of work, and the last segment was about how the haphazard application of the “essential worker” concept got many people to rethink what their job meant to society and their employers. They were arguing that the current labor market situation is, at least in part, a product of obvious worker exploitation during the depths of the pandemic.

Makes sense. An "essential worker" should make a living wage.

Honestly I think the conversation about what people �deserve� to get paid is a waste of time, politically. I don�t think we are going to overcome partisan polarization with calls to empathy or fairness - the voters minds that we need to change simply don�t think in those terms and don�t agree with us on even the most basic calls to human dignity. We need to turn this economic debate from the micro perspective to the macro - to help fiscal conservatives understand that it�s in the nations interest to alleviate/eliminate poverty. How does providing shelter to the homeless eliminate crime, how does providing childcare create a better workforce, shit like that. These assholes obviously don�t care about anything that doesn�t play to their own interests or their nationalist fervor. How can we reach them there?

Back