• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

There’s no labor shortage, in reality it’s a capital strike. Industries refuse to respond to a tightening labor market by paying living wages and insuring dignified working conditions, and instead they pressure conservative state governments to squeeze low income and unemployed people by cutting welfare

There’s no labor shortage, in reality it’s a capital strike. Industries refuse to respond to a tightening labor market by paying living wages and insuring dignified working conditions, and instead they pressure conservative state governments to squeeze low income and unemployed people by cutting welfare

I haven't heard it conceptualized like this and you're exactly right.

thank you.

Except how does it explain the labor shortage in CA?

It’s the same explanation unless you think people can actually live on $15/hr in much of CA.

Except how does it explain the labor shortage in CA?

you're a ways away from poverty wages, my dude, but you gotta make a lot of money to survive in CA

CA contains most of the most expensive housing markets in the United States (this is an old link, but I'm too lazy to look beyond that).

eta: what makes that list so impressive is that there are pockets of affluence in virtually every region of CA, which means that if this list was longer then you'd probably see a lot more CA cities on it bc of spillover effects

I loved referreeing intramurals and when playing I loved giving shit to my friends who reffed intramural like BacktoBack. I reffed flag football and volleyball. Reffed Randolph Childress’ team a few times. He was one hell of a flag football QB. We normally had 3 refs working a game. If someone couldn’t make it, we had 2. First time I got a Childress game, I think we had a 6 person crew. Some guys saw who was playing and just stuck around for the next game. I did that freshman and sophomore year and made $5 a game.

Sophomore year one of my professors gave me a research job for $7.50 an hour where I could set my own schedule as long as I got the work done. Senior year she hired more students and I supervised them. And that’s basically what I do today.

Good times, good times

I loved referreeing intramurals and when playing I loved giving shit to my friends who reffed intramural like BacktoBack. I reffed flag football and volleyball. Reffed Randolph Childress’ team a few times. He was one hell of a flag football QB. We normally had 3 refs working a game. If someone couldn’t make it, we had 2. First time I got a Childress game, I think we had a 6 person crew. Some guys saw who was playing and just stuck around for the next game. I did that freshman and sophomore year and made $5 a game.

Sophomore year one of my professors gave me a research job for $7.50 an hour where I could set my own schedule as long as I got the work done. Senior year she hired more students and I supervised them. And that’s basically what I do today.

Freshman year, my flag football team’s first game was against Childress, Banks and some other basketball players.

It was a harsh intro to college sports.

When Elon Musk announced he was moving Tesla headquarters to Texas he said basically verbatim that he couldn’t find enough employees in Silicon Valley because it was too expensive for people to move there. If Tesla employees can’t afford to live there, how the fuck do you think CVS cashiers and burger flippers at In & Out afford to live there? Over and over I see conservatives parroting the complaints about California business and real estate regulations - but regulations don’t explain why real estate and rent prices are inflated so extremely high. The harsh truth is that Southern and coastal California represent the break point of capitalism where wealth inequality is so extreme that service workers can’t even afford to live in the same city or zip code as the wealthy people they serve - to the point where for many it’s economically unfeasible for service workers to even bus into Silicon Valley. Google engineers are living out of their fucking cars or renting out garages - workers are willing to do that because those careers have cultural cache and promise future opportunity. There is no such desperation for service industry work.

Last edited:

i get why manchin is bs-ing around with a "firm work requirement" since he can point to his out of work and on the dole constituents and tell them keep cashing their checks because those are ok. THIS one is NOT free money. as a country we keep moving the "middle class" goal posts as needed. 60k is not going to do much for a family in some markets. 60k is also not going to pull a family out of poverty long term without other tools to help. healthcare, student loans, exploding price of homes etc.

tax credits for kids require you to pay taxes to get the credit. uh, ok.

https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/8444048002

A "non-union delivery driver" was driving "a truck with flammable cargo" at "an unsafe speed," the United Food and Commercial Workers said in a statement Wednesday night, when they "took their hands off the steering wheel to make a threatening gesture to a UFCW Local 23D member on strike, and the truck veered out of control and flipped over."

No one was hurt, the union said.

Background: Why union workers of a major Kentucky-based bourbon producer are on strike

"Heaven Hill is putting profits over the health and safety of its workers and the Bardstown community and today’s dangerous tanker truck incident is sadly just the latest example," UFCW Local 23D President Matt Aubrey said.

When Elon Musk announced he was moving Tesla headquarters to Texas he said basically verbatim that he couldn’t find enough employees in Silicon Valley because it was too expensive for people to move there. If Tesla employees can’t afford to live there, how the fuck do you think CVS cashiers and burger flippers at In & Out afford to live there? Over and over I see conservatives parroting the complaints about California business and real estate regulations - but regulations don’t explain why real estate and rent prices are inflated so extremely high. The harsh truth is that Southern and coastal California represent the break point of capitalism where wealth inequality is so extreme that service workers can’t even afford to live in the same city or zip code as the wealthy people they serve - to the point where for many it’s economically unfeasible for service workers to even bus into Silicon Valley. Google engineers are living out of their fucking cars or renting out garages - workers are willing to do that because those careers have cultural cache and promise future opportunity. There is no such desperation for service industry work.

Our company designed 700 units adjacent to a metro line next to my apartment. It’s been in permit/regulation hell since 2016. Most likely arguing whether to have 70 affordable units or 75 of them. Meanwhile had they just built the 700 units everything would likely be a lot more affordable.

Of course there are no easy solutions, but acknowledging and fixing the unintended consequences of likely well intentioned regulations is a start

Our company designed 700 units adjacent to a metro line next to my apartment. It’s been in permit/regulation hell since 2016. Most likely arguing whether to have 70 affordable units or 75 of them. Meanwhile had they just built the 700 units everything would likely be a lot more affordable.

Of course there are no easy solutions, but acknowledging and fixing the unintended consequences of likely well intentioned regulations is a start

Tell us what the rent is for the units designated “affordable.”

plama what does that have to do with labor/unions/workers?

Shelter is both at the bottom of the hierarchy of needs and most be regulated in order to be “affordable.”

Do you see the problem here?

“Regulation hell”. Can you provide more details about that - did the housing development follow the regulations initially, and if not, why haven’t they complied with the regulations yet?

Back