• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

“Son, I need you to go to battle…”

“Just give me a gun and tell me where to shoot.”

“Let me finish. I need you to go to battle the global supply chain crisis. Here’s instructions on how to get your CDL. We may have a truck ready for you when you do. Your country thanks you.”

Help me out here. How is limiting picketers going to break a strike? Obviously the picketers aren't the only ones striking. And if they only allow 4, wouldn't it be easier for the other 4 who would have been there to rotate in? Seems like UAW could just use this as an example of how John Deere is bullying workers.

what am I helping you with?

scabs should be very aware of what they're doing every time they travel to/from the site.

politics is aesthetics; there's a reason they don't call it the "~800,000 Man March" - the reduced visibility/lack of action (I was on the picket line, but now I have to sit at home) = a greater chance of depressing pro-strike/Union attitudes within the union itself

the injunction from Deere is one of the first step in building a legal case arguing Deere has suffered as a result of the strike - that's the explicit rationale for filing it in the first place (point 13 in the injunction order), how would they use it to prove "bullying?" it's using the law against union action.

I guess a better example would be if a federal judge forced the Million Man March 2.0 to take place on Zoom but a few thousand could travel to DC so as not to cause a disruption plz

The strike is the action, not the picketing but I get your broader point.

The picketing gives the striking workers a purpose, helps them bond and form camaraderie around a shared goal. Taking that away is a huge blow to their side.

Also it’s more impactful to turn scabs away from a picket line with dozens or hundreds of employees marching and chanting than it is 4 dudes

The picketing gives the striking workers a purpose, helps them bond and form camaraderie around a shared goal. Taking that away is a huge blow to their side.

Can they picket somewhere else?

The real problem here, I think, is optics. If you’re John Deere, it’s sucks to have news footage of hundreds of workers marching back and forth demanding higher pay and better benefits on screens across the country. If there are only 4 people out there shouting slogans and carrying signs, it looks pathetic and gives Deere the opportunity to spread the message that “the workers dont need better wages, they are just lazy and want time off, look they aren’t even picketing.”

i wonder if it is 4 picketers per location, so they can set up at a number of locations.

i will hang up and listen to the answers...

My 15 year old daughter just got a forklift job at John Deere for $20 per hour !

Where the victims union or non-union?

Back