• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

Where the victims union or non-union?

You should read the article (ETA: bc it answers your question), but generally-speaking the dynamics are a bit more complicated in film because you have folks like a Director of Photography who manage unit managers (who oversee a lot of different grunt-level workers). Seems like in this case, the DP and the unionized workers were on the same page that working conditions were not gonna cut it (and there are ample examples in the article).

That statement, at best, is grossly misleading and at worst is just false.
It's true that truck drivers (in the past) might not have been paid directly when waiting on containers or whatever, as truck drivers are typically paid on the job or miles travelled. But wait times are factored into lane haul rates.
It would be like me saying I'm going to pay you $20/hr to wait 2 hours and do a job that takes 2 hours or I'll pay you $40/hr to do the job, which requires you to wait 2 hours for free.
However, in today's market (and this goes back at least a year or two, if not more) every trucking company I deal with (numbered in the dozens across different forms of trucking) pays their drivers extra if the wait is beyond an industry standard. (different standards for different industries)

the warrior met strike has been going since April 1

the warrior met strike has been going since April 1

My friend back in alabama has been driving up there and rigged up his Prius with a coffee maker and an AC tent to give out free coffee and allow the miners to (one at a time) cool off in the hot summer.

Fuck yes
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna5967

More than 10,000 striking John Deere workers will go back to work after approving a new agreement that union leadership called a landmark deal.

Workers at 14 Deere & Co. locations have been on strike since Oct. 14 after the union overwhelmingly rejected a contract offer that would’ve delivered 5 percent raises to some workers and 6 percent to others.

On Wednesday, members ratified a new six-year agreement that includes 10 percent increases in wages this year, and a total increase of 20 percent over the life of the contract, the United Auto Workers said.

"UAW John Deere members did not just unite themselves, they seemed to unite the nation in a struggle for fairness in the workplace,” union President Ray Curry said in a statement.

Deere CEO John C. May said the agreements give workers “the opportunity to earn wages and benefits that are the best in our industries and are groundbreaking in many ways.”

In addition to the wage increases, the newly ratified deal includes an $8,500 signing bonus, more retirement options and makes no changes to healthcare, the union said.

Anybody else following this Kellogg crap?

266951035_10158683771068008_4581367795633223738_n.jpg

My friend back in alabama has been driving up there and rigged up his Prius with a coffee maker and an AC tent to give out free coffee and allow the miners to (one at a time) cool off in the hot summer.

Contributing to the delinquency of a miner, to own the pubs.

Don't worry Larry. The pivot to trickle down compassionate conservatism is coming!

Hard to believe Amazon would want people to work when it's hot outside.

Back