• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

Whenever I see stuff like this it makes me more and more frustrated with how our local bargains.

They're going to have to completely revamp their business model to more like a taxi model with employees instead of independent contractors

so they will be just as expensive as taxies, but the drivwrs will be worse and will be paid less.

PA Labor Relations Board just reversed a decision from their hearing officers that declared our campus-wide graduate union election unfair. The hearing officers declared that several ballots could not be included when two STEM faculty sent emails to grad students after receiving a list of who had voted/not voted telling them to go vote. PALRB overturned their hearing officers - a rare outcome. If the hearing officers think the election was tampered with, that's typically it. This is going to push our already new election (campaign going on 5 years now) deep into the spring apparently.

This is a failure from Gov. Wolf's labor board to recognize worker's rights in league with a university that paid union-busing lawfirm Ballard Spahr more than $1 million in 2019 (up from $144,584 in 2018).

Fucking incredible.

Last edited:
Grad workers at Columbia are striking after the university refused to bargain in good faith after two years of negotiations. The strike was authorized by the union membership. Columbia also threatened to demand grads pay back stipends if they strike. Here's a tweet with info to support, including a virtual picket and a strike support fund:

TK, would any of the PRO Act help in your unionizing efforts?

i admittedly don't have a good response for this so I'm gonna ask in the union meeting 2nite

seems like the quick answer is that Pitt employees (something we are not currently recognized as) are understood to operate in the public sector, so we are unionizing under PERA (Pennsylvania Employee Relations Act), not NLRA.

that's why the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board is overseeing our process, and not the National Labor Relations Board.

Thank you for asking and following up.

assuming kory was trying to post one of these since suspended accounts that amazon was generating either via AI or as bots for their anti-union efforts

lol they deleted it? hahahahaha fuck anti-union PR all my homies hate anti-union PR

Burt’s OK y’all.

Back