• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Labor/Workers movements thread

Don't most companies lease their real estate? What is the real cost savings? Utilities and perks?

If they keep doing it, they can get smaller properties.

BTW, why isn't anyone talking about helping the hookers? They have seen their businesses dry up completely. To many, hookers are an essential industry. We need to stand by our brothers and sisters!

The preferred nomenclature is sex worker. And I recommend the book Revolting Prostitutes as a pretty good read on the sex workers organizing movement and the differences between legalization and decriminalization.

OMG, is PCU a documentary to you? Is it your video bible?

Sex workers are workers and their labor organizing is just as important as other labor movements. Related to that, incarcerated workers and the hunger strikes, prison strikes, riots going on around the country should also be seen as relevant to the labor movements.

Marx at the Arcade was a cool short book about the history of video games and the modern organizing efforts of Game Workers Unite.

Interesting. Here is the author.

OMG, is PCU a documentary to you? Is it your video bible?

I'm not one for policing language, but sex workers are among the most marginalized groups in America. The joke about hookers losing their jobs in these tough times isn't funny.

Erik Loomis' A History of America in Ten Strikes is next on my labor reading list. i have an epub if anyone wants it.

Making the New Deal by Lizbeth Cohen is pretty essential labor reading for this era, imo.

Proud dues paying member of GPA djp ... my collectively negotiated contract is why I still have a job through the lockdown, and why my firm will have a qualified and trained workforce now that the restrictions are being lifted.

The idea that unions and collective negotiations are only for blue collar workers is one of the most successful lies told in the US over the last 50 years.

We can thank Ronald Reagan for making scab workers acceptable.

Does LA have enough guards to put one on each garbage truck to make sure the convicts don't run away?

The pay for prison labor is a sticky situation. If they are paid the going rate on the outside, shouldn't they have their room and board deducted from that? Who would set that amount? How many kickback would there be?

Without any doubt prisoners who work for outside companies while in prison should be able to use that employer on resumes when they get out without saying they worked for that company in jail. This could help them re-acclimate to society.

Also, if the companies are getting a discount, they should be required to hire a significant percentage of those workers upon release.

This looks cool:

Back