• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Election: Biden criticism thread

I have NEVER said anything disparaging about poor people or disenfranchised people. To say I have is a lie.

There you go again calling me an ignorant elitist. You do owe 1976 and AZ fro the drinks they just spilled laughing at you for that. You couldn't be more wrong and know nothing about me to make that inane comment.

I NEVER said anything about non-voting homeless people or non-voting poor people. I ONLY directed that at you and the others on this board who can vote easily. Who have access to necessities. Who know not voting for Biden (a bad candidate) will decimate those you purport to support.

To say a Trump win won't devastate the groups you support to a level never seen in our country's history is to deny what he has done and tried to do. Biden may may not be the greatest champion, but he is massively better than Trump.

There are only two people who can win.

The same way Biden will make recompense his many mistakes over his career, by stepping up and doing the right thing now.

So, you would have told Bernie to step down if he had won the nomination?

Last edited:
my sense from reading between the lines on that article is that the journalist doesn't believe her.

But a takeaway that I got from the article, at least, is that that really isn't the point. Its a defense of the institution and a defense of survivors that takes the gray area into account.

Accountability doesn't necessarily translate into a legal or moral sense of guilty or innocent. What we know is that Biden has repeatedly sexually harassed women publicly and that Trump has repeated sexually harassed and sexually assaulted women.

The question that journalists and voters have to ask themselves is whether Reade was given a fair shake given our conventional understanding of how journalism should work. The piece did a great job, I thought, of suggesting that journalists did listen to Reade and were able to corroborate one set of accusations and not another leading to a frustrating conclusion that we still don't know and may never know.

The question that we have to ask ourselves moving forward is a) do we want people like Joe Biden in the position to represent us and b) how can we modify our gate keeping institutions so that something like this doesn't happen again?

The op-ed that stated "I believe Tara Reade and I'm going to vote for Joe Biden" gets at what sucks so much about this situation currently, but I think that this article is really pushing us to think about what to do moving forward.

This is my position: What happened this time around, imo, is unacceptable where allegations were subordinated to the interests of electability. Granted, the stakes were high, but in hindsight they're always high. Credible allegations of sexual harassment from politicians against subordinates or constituents should be immediately disqualifying, imo, and if the candidate doesn't have the grace to step down then the DNC should use its platform to "de-platform" the candidate.

Anyway, I respect the hell out of the author for writing that piece, which could not have been easy to write. We need more of this, not less of this in the open so that the public actually has to reckon with the implications of cases like Tara Reade's on their moral compasses, their political-ideological orientations, and their principles.

So, you would have told Bernie to step down if he had won the nomination?

If Bernie Sanders had multiple, credible accounts of sexual harassment against him? Absolutely I would call for him to step down.

I have NEVER said anything disparaging about poor people or disenfranchised people. To say I have is a lie.

There you go again calling me an ignorant elitist. You do owe 1976 and AZ fro the drinks they just spilled laughing at you for that. You couldn't be more wrong and know nothing about me to make that inane comment.

I NEVER said anything about non-voting homeless people or non-voting poor people. I ONLY directed that at you and the others on this board who can vote easily. Who have access to necessities. Who know not voting for Biden (a bad candidate) will decimate those you purport to support.

To say a Trump win won't devastate the groups you support to a level never seen in our country's history is to deny what he has done and tried to do. Biden may may not be the greatest champion, but he is massively better than Trump.

There are only two people who can win.

ok, go find some non-voters, bitch at them and see what results you get. Meanwhile leave the rest of us politically involved people the fuck alone. I've spent too much of my own time and gas money trying to get out the vote in my own city to listen to your bullshit

But a takeaway that I got from the article, at least, is that that really isn't the point. Its a defense of the institution and a defense of survivors that takes the gray area into account.

Accountability doesn't necessarily translate into a legal or moral sense of guilty or innocent. What we know is that Biden has repeatedly sexually harassed women publicly and that Trump has repeated sexually harassed and sexually assaulted women.

The question that journalists and voters have to ask themselves is whether Reade was given a fair shake given our conventional understanding of how journalism should work. The piece did a great job, I thought, of suggesting that journalists did listen to Reade and were able to corroborate one set of accusations and not another leading to a frustrating conclusion that we still don't know and may never know.

The question that we have to ask ourselves moving forward is a) do we want people like Joe Biden in the position to represent us and b) how can we modify our gate keeping institutions so that something like this doesn't happen again?

The op-ed that stated "I believe Tara Reade and I'm going to vote for Joe Biden" gets at what sucks so much about this situation currently, but I think that this article is really pushing us to think about what to do moving forward.

This is my position: What happened this time around, imo, is unacceptable where allegations were subordinated to the interests of electability. Granted, the stakes were high, but in hindsight they're always high. Credible allegations of sexual harassment from politicians against subordinates or constituents should be immediately disqualifying, imo, and if the candidate doesn't have the grace to step down then the DNC should use its platform to "de-platform" the candidate.

Anyway, I respect the hell out of the author for writing that piece, which could not have been easy to write. We need more of this, not less of this in the open so that the public actually has to reckon with the implications of cases like Tara Reade's on their moral compasses, their political-ideological orientations, and their principles.

My response is that it's amazing how two different people can read such different things out of an article.

If Bernie Sanders had multiple, credible accounts of sexual harassment against him? Absolutely I would call for him to step down.

Almost to a person, the women you are claiming that he sexual harassed have themselves said that he didn't sexually harass them.

I firmly believe that reading thru the last 6 hours of this thread the last 20 minutes has taken 5 years off my life.

Almost to a person, the women you are claiming that he sexual harassed have themselves said that he didn't sexually harass them.

Link? Unwanted touching and comments are both examples of sexual harassment, ChrisL.

That was a quick edit, Strick, but I saw it.

I thought you had me on ignore. I don't have RJ on ignore, but I'll admit that I don't usually pay much attention to the content of his posts since they're all so damn similar these days.

The Sanders campaign was made aware of the pay issue, acknowledged it publicly, and immediately rectified it. That's what accountability looks like. What are your issues with the process?

Let's try to actually engage with one another rather than drive-by gotchas.

My response is that it's amazing how two different people can read such different things out of an article.

What is your response to the article? Not reading between the lines, but reading the journalist's words.

I find it pretty bizarre that I'm held to a higher standard as an employee than the presumptive nominee for President of the United States when it comes to workplace conduct.

Link? Unwanted touching and comments are both examples of sexual harassment, ChrisL.

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe...d-the-encounter-made-her-very-uncomfortable-7

Here are the stories. Most are "he hugged me for a bit to long" are some other violation of personal space (which Biden should absolutely be made aware that social norms have changed) and one comment that someone was "a pretty girl". Most that remarked said that they didn't consider his violations of their personal space sexual. Biden was correctly called to task for it and indicated that he needs to change his behavior, which he has.

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe...d-the-encounter-made-her-very-uncomfortable-7

Here are the stories. Most are "he hugged me for a bit to long" are some other violation of personal space (which Biden should absolutely be made aware that social norms have changed) and one comment that someone was "a pretty girl". Most that remarked said that they didn't consider his violations of their personal space sexual. Biden was correctly called to task for it and indicated that he needs to change his behavior, which he has.

The one who didn't clarify is obviously a pretty big story - do you think that, sexual assault allegation aside, Reade's allegation of sexual harassment is true?

I firmly believe that reading thru the last 6 hours of this thread the last 20 minutes has taken 5 years off my life.

If this was a thing, what I've done in my life would have taken away enough to have me die in 1753.

The one who didn't clarify is obviously a pretty big story - do you think that, sexual assault allegation aside, Reade's allegation of sexual harassment is true?
I think it's pretty hard to apply much credibility at all to whatever Tara Reade says due to the ever-changing nature of her stories, her bizarre behavior, her political axe to grind excetera excetera

Back