• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can take to PM if you like. I’ve struggled all my life. Talking about it helps me. Staying busy. Getting enough sleep, which for me means a shitload of exercising. Any physical symptoms like breathing or sleeping issues?

The black square thing and what all went on today is crazy. Is it amplifying? Suffocating? In support? A big conspiracy? Who really started it? What was its purpose?
Was it he record company/artist thing at first? Was it suppose to be mournful and reflective? Be a call to voicing anger? Shit got weird.

Who knows. I know this world is fucked though, and some people feel that shit harder and heavier than others. I dunno, I just try to read about stuff and learn when I can, try to support how I can. But I'm also not out in the streets right now, so yeah, beats me. Crazy world.

Re: anxiety

I can't say I've been totally successful with this myself, but unplug as much as you can; if you can't from all media, maybe take a break from the news. I want to be informed, but I also want to stay/be sane, and I don't even have kids to be concerned about.

I have to remind myself to breathe. I know I'm "breathing" because I'm not dying, but yeah, take deep breaths. You'll hear most of the same things from a lot of people. They've worked to varying degrees for me for varying lengths of time, but I don't think what I have is going away any time soon, and I'm in a decent spot relatively at the moment.

The two best things that have worked for me best in the last 6+ years -- during which there's been a constant low level hum of anxiety even when it's at its best -- have been acupuncture and smack tea.

I would unreservedly recommend acupuncture to anyone. Not going to do that with any foreign substance, but as far as anxiety goes, the kava/kratom mixture at moderate levels has been more effective than any pharmaceuticals have in the past, or even weed, and definitely better than booze.

Last edited:
shifting to a more serious topic, man i've had more anxiety the last few months than i've ever had and i've struggled with it for years. birdie takes after me in that regard and she's struggling which only makes it worse. fucking sucks man. i've got a lot of shit going on in my personal life along with general overarching issues on covid and racist fucking cops and shit. outside of counseling (already partaking) anyone have any tips for someone that's just perpetually feeling weight on their shoulders?

nothing groundbreaking, but yoga has been good to me, as has running and biking

I self medicate with alcohol and weed (indica only, not sativa for my anxiety), which gets through the toughest stretches, though undoubtedly not a best-practice

sometimes it helps me to work backwards and identify the trigger of the anxiety and think through how that problem will feel in 10 years

and talk to your therapist about medical options

I have had many friends rave about meds they've been prescribed that have not worked for me, so that could just be my brain and chemistry.

yeah, I haven't done meds, but know lots of friends and family for who they're great

it's a great option for a lot of folks

thanks guys. will definitely be considering all this stuff. acupuncture sounds kinda tight though i've historically been anti-strangers touching me. any further suggestions other than going to my local acupuncture place and saying i'd like one acupuncture pls. i know virtually nothing about it.

thanks guys. will definitely be considering all this stuff. acupuncture sounds kinda tight though i've historically been anti-strangers touching me. any further suggestions other than going to my local acupuncture place and saying i'd like one acupuncture pls. i know virtually nothing about it.

There are a few great meditation apps with good short meditations that are helpful.

Yeah, acupuncture these days is kind of tough, I guess. I'm tight with my lady, so she's gotten me in a couple of times the last few months, but I feel weird about it.

I'd just tell them you were anxious, what you're anxious about, generally. I talk to my practitioner as if she's my therapist on that level; obviously not in as much detail or as deep, but for how I want her to tailor the points, I just give her all the info, in addition to whatever physical issues there may be.

But even if you don't buy into the methodology, and I'm skeptical, it helps me to have those points in there, think about where they are, how they connect to each other, how my body connects to itself...and breathing deeply and just kind of using it as a meditation opportunity as well, it kind of focuses where the issue might be. But I don't know about meridians and stuff like that. It has just chilled me out and relaxed me very well for a few years, so I stick with it.

It's a catch-all I use for kava/kratom (or shit, maybe I got it from the board, I don't even remember), but specifically for this local joint's signature drink, a combination of kava and proprietary kratom extract, called the Krush, which is a ridiculous name that I try to avoid using if possible, so I decided to call it something else, since it can kind of smack you out. It also kind of sharpens you up, though, it's a weird combo, but feels good to me.

A lot of people use it to avoid or come off booze and/or pills. I use it for physical and mental relaxation. It smoothes me out.

There's a weird mix in that joint of like army dudes and cops, a couple of Qanons, dudes who've done time and can't get busted with drugs/booze, servers/nurses wanting a little boost/chill pre/post shift, and people in recovery. It's a little weird, I haven't missed going there exactly, I think I'll just get take out mostly from now on. The cops/army dudes weird me out.

shifting to a more serious topic, man i've had more anxiety the last few months than i've ever had and i've struggled with it for years. birdie takes after me in that regard and she's struggling which only makes it worse. fucking sucks man. i've got a lot of shit going on in my personal life along with general overarching issues on covid and racist fucking cops and shit. outside of counseling (already partaking) anyone have any tips for someone that's just perpetually feeling weight on their shoulders?

mental health is just as important as physical health. glad you're seeking counseling and opening up.

i had my first major anxiety attack in John Llewellyn's org comm sophomore year. impossible to forget.

i felt like i was literally dying. out of nowhere. palms drenched. difficult to breathe. had to get out of the classroom.

it took me months to even convince myself that anything was wrong. to seek any form of help. i laid in bed clutching my stomach for days.

they thought it was physical at first so they had me on omeprazole to counteract what they though what severe acid reflux, and I underwent an endoscopy to check the stomach. nothing physically wrong.

they recommended counseling and started with citalopram and it was like a light switch. the stomach pains vanished. i've been between 10-20 mg of it ever since.

still get suicidal thoughts/ideations when I'm really low but most of the anxiety is managed (unless I have to speak at a conference, holy shit it comes back strong).

I know that some people are less than enthusiastic about chemical assistance, but Lexapro has had an amazing impact on my wife’s struggles with anxiety. If you’re married or in a long term relationship, talk to your partner candidly about what you’re feeling, because someone that doesn’t have anxiety issues has little understanding of how overwhelming they can be, and it’s important for them to know how it makes you feel so they can assist and understand your behaviors.

Enjoying the real talk in here. Thanks b$ for opening up and to everyone else for caring for him. This is some weird world we are living in and it’s only going to get better when we listen to each other and care.

Meditation helps me...I'm a fan of Tara Brach's guided meditations on mindfulness and radical acceptance. Practicing those things, especially acceptance, have been most helpful to me.

I just learned today about the Greenland shark, which live 300-500 years

females don't reproduce til they're 150 years old

wild stuff

saw that a woman in Wilkesboro died -- she was the last person to get a Civil War pension because her father served in it.

Enjoying the real talk in here. Thanks b$ for opening up and to everyone else for caring for him. This is some weird world we are living in and it’s only going to get better when we listen to each other and care.

I have substantially curtailed how often I call someone a homosexual or make reference to their whore mothers in these trying times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back