• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: Going To The Mattresses !!! !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep those are native fish in the NC Mountains. We call them hornyhead chubs. Catch the hell outta of them when fishing for trout on our property. They're annoying as hell and will bite the tiniest bit of work.

Before I knew anything about them I cleaned and grilled like 8 of them... Needless to say I never did that again.
Apparently they are, or more likely *were* in some of the creeks in the Yadkin watershed in eastern Davie Co. in the '40s when my Dad was a kid. He used to tell me about catching them. Granddad would set little fish traps for them to use them for bait.

Catfish are so miserable to clean though. They take forever to die, so they're usually alive while you're doing it. And they don't have scales so you have to (at least the way I was taught) rip their skin off with pliers. I have to REALLY be feeling manly/outdoorsy or REALLY want fresh catfish to do it these days.

It's not that big of a deal. One thing about becoming a professional Chef will do is disabuse one of any squeamishness for butchery or fabrication of animals. At least, ideally it it will.
It also helps if you've got a farming background or, like we did, grew up cleaning what we caught or hunted.
Oh, BTW, I learned to use the pliers too. Still use em, except they're more like surgical forceps than Craftsman. Lol *

*This is only if, for whatever reason, I want it on the bone. Otherwise, just fillet the skin off like any other fish.

Last edited:
Iowa, Kentucky, and Minnesota as the sleeper cool states scans with me. I've never been to Iowa, but I can see it having some pockets -- the literary history of the Iowa Writer's Workshop is pretty impressive. Louisville and the Cincy areas of Kentucky are pretty legit (stay safe Louisville! Cops are straight shooting people there.), and Minneapolis (stay safe Minny!), where I have a couple of friends, is pretty cool and active, even in February, which was the one time I was there in person. Anyway, I was impressed, but I'm not sure I could do a whole winter there, even my friends struggle with it.

NC relatively dope though, just gotta crush our legislature and not replace them with too many neo-liberal developer types.

i think that framing makes it clearer you're trolling

TenaciousKory went w/ a different kind of trolling w/ the Buffalo video he posted "by accident"... And so far people have just ignored it like it wasn't there. Kind of funny, I guess.

Iowa, Kentucky, and Minnesota as the sleeper cool states scans with me. I've never been to Iowa, but I can see it having some pockets -- the literary history of the Iowa Writer's Workshop is pretty impressive. Louisville and the Cincy areas of Kentucky are pretty legit (stay safe Louisville! Cops are straight shooting people there.), and Minneapolis (stay safe Minny!), where I have a couple of friends, is pretty cool and active, even in February, which was the one time I was there in person. Anyway, I was impressed, but I'm not sure I could do a whole winter there, even my friends struggle with it.

NC relatively dope though, just gotta crush our legislature and not replace them with too many neo-liberal developer types.

Iowa sucks; bottom tier state. It's prone to hot summers and very cold winters. It's like 90% white (no diversity) and outside of the college towns there's nothing going. Hard pass.

are we just acting like this ridiculous statement never happened?

Yeah, while Baltimore isn't nearly the flaming trash heap that it once was, there is no way to argue in good faith that it's better than Philly. I don't hate Baltimore and I'm there fairly often because of work or my brother, but Philly has sooooo much more to offer.

Yea I like Baltimore, and people who couldn't have fun there are boring people. Lots of fun stuff there, including a great ballpark and some good bars and restaurants.

But if the Midatlantic stretches down to Virginia, I'd give Richmond a nod over Baltimore.

what are #1-4 midatlantic/NE cities

Don't know if they are truly the top 4, but Newport, Rhode Island; Portsmouth, NH; St. Mary's, Maryland and Portland, Maine are some pretty stellar summer/fall towns.

Last edited:
like, the Writer's Workshop or why?

No, she’s in grad school now, she works on antibiotic resistance and her partner works in food science. I think he wants to work on soy and that’s a good place for it. I think she knows some lab heads up there based on her research.

Iowa sucks; bottom tier state. It's prone to hot summers and very cold winters. It's like 90% white (no diversity) and outside of the college towns there's nothing going. Hard pass.

Well, when you put it that way...

Def in on Baltimore > Iowa.

Richmond seems cool, I always kind of forget about it, though. Plus, not far from my ghost sighting.

uh, the line is the Mason Dixon line, which is the border between PA and MD. Maryland was stuck as an occupied territory

Oh wild, I've seen people who have said they've gone to the Maharishi University of Management on facebook and stuff, and I always thought it was fake, like a joke way of saying they got like an MBA in being zen and chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back