• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

75th Anniversary of VE Day

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
I just got off a Zoom call with my wife's 98 year old grandfather. He is in excellent health and spirits at a VA retirement facility in Pennsylvania. He has always been a terrific grandfather to my wife and her brother and cousins; they tell stories of him taking them for ice cream at the dairy creamery and country store in rural Pennsylvania where they grew up, hand selecting peanuts from a barrel one by one, raking their yards so they could jump in the leaves, generously paying for a semester of college, and all around being there.

He also happens to be a veteran of World War II, where he was a liaison and scout, he fought at the Battle of the Bulge, and has an incredible memory to this day for details so many decades later. About 10 years ago he started transcribing his field notes on his typewriter, and with my wife's blessing I thought I'd share part of his memoir here on the 75th Anniversary of VE Day. It's about 50 pages of typewritten notes and scanned maps. I believe this link should work: https://www.docdroid.net/c02zaVZ/wwii-experience-1-2-pdf

It starts from the day he ships out.

If you are fortunate enough to know someone still alive from that era, give them your love and attention if you can.

My maternal grandfather (RIP) was shot in the knee on his first day during the Battle of the Bulge. Went back to England got stitched up and was back again out there for the final months of the war. He wouldn't talk about the war at all but he did have a few pieces of German memorabilia (helmet and luger I remember) hanging in his basement.

He was a very quiet and private man, and I wonder if it is a result of what he saw while deployed.

That's a very similar story to my grandfather, he passed away last year at 99 and was part of the D-day landing. I of course only knew him in his older age but he was an incredibly quiet man, and never would talk about his time over there. I can only imagine how you internalize what you saw and had to do. that's true sacrifice. This thread and reading townies post is making me want to rewatch band of brothers this weekend.

A few details he leaves out of the story (from my father in law):

The search for the battery in Bastogne earned him a Bronze Star.
One night in a foxhole he was the most scared he’d ever been in his life. He bargained with God to keep him safe and made a promise that if he made it out alive, he’d never complain again. He has kept that promise til this day.
He was wounded in Bastogne, a piece of shrapnel was lodged just below his eye. He didn’t get it fully removed for nearly a year.

Both my grandfathers served in the Pacific. One was a medic during all the beach landings they did, and served in Iwo Jima, among others. Other grandfather was a mechanic on a cargo plane. One of my most treasured possessions is a two-sided silk chart of the Pacific that is in pristine condition and we didn't know existed until my mom found it in my grandmother's attic when moving her out. Now it's framed and hanging above our couch.

Both my grandfathers served in the Pacific. One was a medic during all the beach landings they did, and served in Iwo Jima, among others. Other grandfather was a mechanic on a cargo plane. One of my most treasured possessions is a two-sided silk chart of the Pacific that is in pristine condition and we didn't know existed until my mom found it in my grandmother's attic when moving her out. Now it's framed and hanging above our couch.

If/When someone tells your grandfather to "go to hell" he's one of the few people who can say, "I've been there" and 100% be telling the truth.

Both of my grandfathers served in WWII.

My dad's father was in the Navy and was stationed in Brazil (Rio, IIRC).

My other grandfather wouldn't talk about his service and got mad when we played with G.I. Joe. All I know is he was a machine gunner in the Army. When he died, my mom got his records and found out he was the only survivor in his platoon / unit in the Battle of the Bulge and earned the combat infantryman badge. Apparently, he was involved in some serious action.

I set up a bunch of product in Belgium and Luxembourg this past February related to the Battle of the Bulge; battlefields, memorials, cemeteries in the region. Pretty amazing tributes there and some excellent museums that put the magnitude of the devastation of World War II into scope. If you haven't seen the Netflix "Greatest Events of WWII in colour" documentary, definitely worth a watch.

If anyone is interested I can upload the second half of the memoir. It’s a bit more fractured but contains the liberation of Dachau. He had to de-louse concentration camp prisoners with DDT. Brutal read but he also talks about coming home and meeting his future wife at the Navy Eye Hospital in Philly.

Been to Dachau. Somber erie place. Thanks for posting and would like to see additional material. Hope someone in your family will donate to a local museum for posterity, and research for future generations.

Could you post a photo of it? I'd love to see it.

If anyone is interested I can upload the second half of the memoir. It’s a bit more fractured but contains the liberation of Dachau. He had to de-louse concentration camp prisoners with DDT. Brutal read but he also talks about coming home and meeting his future wife at the Navy Eye Hospital in Philly.
I'd love to read the rest. Just about to start on the first. ;)
This is a great post. Thank you for sharing this, Townie.
Do y'all have plans to publish a memoir or something?

I'd love to read the rest. Just about to start on the first. ;)
This is a great post. Thank you for sharing this, Townie.
Do y'all have plans to publish a memoir or something?

My wife’s uncle is the steward of all the materials. He sent it to an army contact for fact checking and records and they said it’s one of the most complete records they’ve ever received. He also shared the source records (his field manual, some of his gear) with a Pennsylvania historical society.

I try to revisit once a year or so. I’ll upload part two when I’m back at a computer Monday.

My wife’s uncle is the steward of all the materials. He sent it to an army contact for fact checking and records and they said it’s one of the most complete records they’ve ever received. He also shared the source records (his field manual, some of his gear) with a Pennsylvania historical society.

I try to revisit once a year or so. I’ll upload part two when I’m back at a computer Monday.
Cool beans.
Thanks again.
I look forward to it.

My thanks to all in times of war and peace who have served our country. I've noticed that overall our most-senior citizens seem to be handling cv19 and all that surrounds it very well. They've been thru polio and other health scares, rationing (and we're talking 4 years, not 4 months), etc., so they know that patience is indeed a virtue.

Wow; thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the read.

I believe I shared this story already and if I did forgive me.

My Dad went off to war in '42 with his 5 best neighborhood buddies, three in the Army, two in the Navy.

The only one who didn't return was Ray Greco who died on the beaches of Normandy piloting a landing craft. When the guys returned home to The Bronx they promised his Mom that each one of them will name their first son Raymond. I am one of three Raymond's.

Three years ago I finally visited Normandy to pay my respects. As an emotional experience that I've ever had. I still carry Ray's Mass card in my wallet. Says simply.

Raymond Joseph Greco
Died in action off the coast of Normandy
June 6, 1944
Age 19 years

Still blows me away every time I look at it.

Last edited:
Back