• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlie Davis

The NBA that Charlie Davis entered was not well suited for CD's game. It was dominated by Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and similar big guys. Bill Russell had aline that expressed this: "You may not shoot the layup. You may shoot the free throws."

As noted above, Charlie Davis did not do well in the buffet line. He was small even for that day NBA point guard. And his game was that of a 2 guard.

He was great fun to watch. He would still be my choice in a one shot for your life game.

I'd love to see Wake treat him the way that Chill has been treated.

i had no clue he was in the AD for so long and then was athletic director at bowie state and then a&t.

Charlie was one of the greatest players I have ever seen play. As others have said, no telling what his scoring average would have been with a three point line. He was a pure shooter. I remember one time I was having lunch with CD and the topic of free throw shooting came up. He just couldn't understand how you could shoot less than 90% form the line. He said, "heck you were standing still, no one was guarding you and the distance was always the same" I was really lucky enough to see him play and Earl Monroe at WSSU. Great players!

Growing up in the northeast, I knew nothing about Wake basketball, or really any ACC basketball for that matter, until I enrolled at Wake. I do remember watching the 1974 ACC championship game between NCSU and MD because I'd been accepted by then. I wish I'd seen CD play.

How did you make it to Wake then? My impression is that there weren’t many students from the northeast back then.

There were a ton of kids from the northeast when I was at Wake. Every freshman suite, third floors, had an NC kid roomated with an NJ/NY/PA in every room.

Wake was a bargain then compared with private schools in the northeast. Obviously, that is no longer the case.

Charlie was one of the greatest players I have ever seen play. As others have said, no telling what his scoring average would have been with a three point line. He was a pure shooter. I remember one time I was having lunch with CD and the topic of free throw shooting came up. He just couldn't understand how you could shoot less than 90% form the line. He said, "heck you were standing still, no one was guarding you and the distance was always the same" I was really lucky enough to see him play and Earl Monroe at WSSU. Great players!

Yep. And he and Skip had perfect form on theirs jumpers. Just classic.

There were a ton of kids from the northeast when I was at Wake. Every freshman suite, third floors, had an NC kid roomated with an NJ/NY/PA in every room.

Wake was a bargain then compared with private schools in the northeast. Obviously, that is no longer the case.

Correct. Back in the '70s, a year at Wake, all included, was about the cost of a really low end new car. Today the cost of a year at Wake would buy almost any mass market car, and you would have money left over.

I asked, in 1972’ when I was a freshman in Davis House, the four juniors in my suite why there were so many from NJ, NY, and Penn there, and they said then that it was the cheapest good private college in the country. I bought a Ford Mustang brand new in the Spring of 1973 for $3,500.

I asked, in 1972’ when I was a freshman in Davis House, the four juniors in my suite why there were so many from NJ, NY, and Penn there, and they said then that it was the cheapest good private college in the country. I bought a Ford Mustang brand new in the Spring of 1973 for $3,500.

And that year at Wake cost about the same.

And then followed by Frank Johnson. For over a decade, Wake was Point Guard U.

Wake has been Point Guard U. for many decades, not just one. Add Ish, Teague, and CP3 as more recent ones. Chill wasn't bad either.

Correct. Back in the '70s, a year at Wake, all included, was about the cost of a really low end new car. Today the cost of a year at Wake would buy almost any mass market car, and you would have money left over.

That’s a good way to put it. Wow.

I came to Wake in 1964 from Conn. It was by far the best value in private school education in the country!

Used to catch him in the gym every once in a while, he was probably in his mid 40s and could still fill it up. Very quick release

The first time I saw Charlie play was at the Quaker City Classic in Philly. He was amazing.

A few thoughts, as I recall....

In addition to regular students like myself, there were quite a few athletes were from the northeast when I was there ('67-'71). CD, Norwood Todman (played at Power Memorial in NYC w/Kareem) from b-ball plus others. A ton of football players from PA plus some from CT, NY, MA, etc. At least 2 played in the NFL: RB Jack Dolbin (5 yrs w/Denver, played in SB12) and center, Jimmy Clack, (2X SB winner with the Steelers). Also, back then we allowed JCs xfers (several on our 1970 ACC championship team).

Cost: agree w/Bud & Shorty, def a bargain for a quality education. Under $2.5K/yr as I remember. Had a Nat Defense loan of $2400 to pay off after graduation...a far cry from today's tuition, etc, even allowing for CoL increase....:thumbsup:

It was cheaper to go to Wake than it was for me to stay home and go to Villanova and much cheaper than Swarthmore or Penn.

I think the total costs for my four years at Wake might get me to Halloween of a frosh year these days.

Back