• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Summer Travel

For those who are reluctant, is it mostly because of fear of personal risk? What does your internal risk calculation look like? So for instance let's say you are a healthy person in your 40's, and it appears that the mortality rate for people 40-49 is around 0.4% and if those who have underlying conditions have a higher rate of mortality, you figure that your personal mortality risk as a healthy ~40 y/o is about 0.2%. So basically if you get it, you have a 1 in 500 chance of dying? Would that calculus be a big deterrent?

It’s not just mortality. Along with potentially spreading it, the side effects can be nasty if you get a bad case. I’ll skip a summer vacation if it means no permanent lung damage.

But if you have to go, I bet Carnival Cruises will be the epitome of safety. They never have any health issues.

It’s not just mortality. Along with potentially spreading it, the side effects can be nasty if you get a bad case. I’ll skip a summer vacation if it means no permanent lung damage.

Has permanent lung damage been verified as a side effect or just postulated?

Read an article today about the potential for four hour COVID era security lines and possibly the new normal. Doesn’t encourage me to travel long distances anytime soon.

We may do some local trips this summer but I’m pretty freaked out about public bathrooms.

Last edited:
I’m reluctant because I’ve been adamant about limiting my trips outside the house and maintaining as much social distancing as reasonably possible. It would be hypocritical to abandon that so i could hang out on a beach.

Based on the number of people that are asymptomatic but test positive, I don’t want to be responsible for anybody unnecessarily contracting this and potentially dying.

Currently in Hilton Head for the week at an Airbnb. We are distancing and doing outdoor activities where we are not near others. Plenty of hand washing. Local businesses appreciate our business. This thing is here to stay. May as well get used to it. Life is for the living.

Own a couple of mountain vacation rentals, reasonably nice with some unusually attractive settings, handled by a vacation rental company and always booked. Bookings went from none in mid-March to completely re-booked again beginning early this month. Folks apparently agree with Arsene. Me, I’m not so sure.

"I'm not so sure so I'll keep cashing those checks."

Non politically we have a response that should have been coordinated at the top from the beginning. Now we are stuck in a holding pattern without enough testing. The distancing should have gone hand in hand with testing to help get things under control in order to open back up slowly. We are now stuck in the in between. Limbo. Not doing anything extended the distancing and shut down.

Was going to Spain next week but canceled, of course. It has been a hell of a time but we were able to recoup our money from all locations and even United. One of the hotels in Barcelona was trying to play hard ball, especially with their government's plan telling them they would not be able to open at the time of our reservation.

I had to make them cancel on us...said "ok, well we will be there. Are you going to open your doors and let us stay in your hotel, even though your government says you are not allowed. It seems to me that we can wait until next week when you have to cancel on us or we can do this now."

luckily it worked and we are lucky since it was nonrefundable. We won't do that again, nonrefundable lodging.

Based on the number of people that are asymptomatic but test positive, I don’t want to be responsible for anybody unnecessarily contracting this and potentially dying.

This is the correct response. You’re a good dude, Cav.

Canceled a Florida trip scheduled for April and still waiting on a refund.
Canceled a DisneyWorld trip for June and lost deposit.

Booking a week in Florida for ASAP because we want to go to the beach. I can work from anywhere... Would go for longer if I could afford it. The issue is everything is so fucking expensive right now because it is the only kind of vacation that you can do and still claim to be somewhat socially responsible.

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with a family packing up and heading to another house somewhere else where you aren't going to be in contact with anyone else... We just would like a change of scenery and some beach time for the kids. If that makes me a monster (or obtuse), so be it.

As someone else said... This is the new normal. IMO, the curve has been as flattened as it is going to be... At this point, we're just dragging this thing out. Isolate the at-risk, of course... But I think we're just prolonging the inevitable.

Currently in Hilton Head for the week at an Airbnb. We are distancing and doing outdoor activities where we are not near others. Plenty of hand washing. Local businesses appreciate our business. This thing is here to stay. May as well get used to it. Life is for the living.

Are all the restaurants back open there now?

We had a family trip planned for Europe this summer, but that was canceled back in March. May try to go to a beach house this summer. We usually cook anyway, so it wouldn't be much different than being at home. Not going to fly anywhere for sure, so any travel we do will be in our car and we will plan accordingly to maintain social distancing and isolation. But, I don't know for sure, we may just go camping.

Heading to Lake Keowee after Memorial Day for a week with my parents, brothers and their families, and my family. All under one roof and will be boating and social distancing. We have flight reservations to San Francisco for a 2-week RV trip in July that have not been cancelled. Only nervous there about going through the ATL and SFO airports. Would be social distanced once we get in the RV. Trying to figure out if we can make that happen and I don't (and won't) feel guilty at all about it. Heading to Pawleys Island in July with same Lake Keowee crew.

Canceled a Florida trip scheduled for April and still waiting on a refund.
Canceled a DisneyWorld trip for June and lost deposit.

Booking a week in Florida for ASAP because we want to go to the beach. I can work from anywhere... Would go for longer if I could afford it. The issue is everything is so fucking expensive right now because it is the only kind of vacation that you can do and still claim to be somewhat socially responsible.

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with a family packing up and heading to another house somewhere else where you aren't going to be in contact with anyone else... We just would like a change of scenery and some beach time for the kids. If that makes me a monster (or obtuse), so be it.

As someone else said... This is the new normal. IMO, the curve has been as flattened as it is going to be... At this point, we're just dragging this thing out. Isolate the at-risk, of course... But I think we're just prolonging the inevitable.

Because that doesn't fit the pseudo-intellectual, holier-than-thou based on faulty data, we're all gonna die because you went outside twitterverse narrative. Unless they can ultimately promote their #survivor or #whateverstrong self-felating social media existence, they want no part of life.

Because that doesn't fit the pseudo-intellectual, holier-than-thou based on faulty data, we're all gonna die because you went outside twitterverse narrative. Unless they can ultimately promote their #survivor or #whateverstrong self-felating social media existence, they want no part of life.

You get it yet and give it to your family?

You get it yet and give it to your family?

Heading to Lake Keowee after Memorial Day for a week with my parents, brothers and their families, and my family. All under one roof and will be boating and social distancing. We have flight reservations to San Francisco for a 2-week RV trip in July that have not been cancelled. Only nervous there about going through the ATL and SFO airports. Would be social distanced once we get in the RV. Trying to figure out if we can make that happen and I don't (and won't) feel guilty at all about it. Heading to Pawleys Island in July with same Lake Keowee crew.

Not to lecture too much - but this is exactly how the virus spreads. Spend time in an enclosed tube sitting within 6 feet of multiple people and then go spend an extended amount of time with other people, where you’ll be eating and taking and hanging out together.

My annual trip to Keeneland was canceled as was a trip to Seattle.

Back