• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Summer Travel

Canceled a Florida trip scheduled for April and still waiting on a refund.
Canceled a DisneyWorld trip for June and lost deposit.

Booking a week in Florida for ASAP because we want to go to the beach. I can work from anywhere... Would go for longer if I could afford it. The issue is everything is so fucking expensive right now because it is the only kind of vacation that you can do and still claim to be somewhat socially responsible.

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with a family packing up and heading to another house somewhere else where you aren't going to be in contact with anyone else... We just would like a change of scenery and some beach time for the kids. If that makes me a monster (or obtuse), so be it.

As someone else said... This is the new normal. IMO, the curve has been as flattened as it is going to be... At this point, we're just dragging this thing out. Isolate the at-risk, of course... But I think we're just prolonging the inevitable.

Too early for this position, imo. Once rapid testing and effective contact tracing is prevalent, maybe, but we are not there yet. But, I don't have an issue driving with the family to a VRBO house for a week to get away this summer -- you're just not going to see us at the beach.

Had to cancel a mountain trip over Easter weekend.

My wife's family has a small place on Cape Cod that we go to every year. Our week is in mid-August, but we're not sure about going right now. Once we get there, we'd be fine - it's just us and the place is not rented out to anyone else ever (we usually share the weekends with her cousins' family, but we'd probably avoid that this year). But the 15 hour drive up doesn't seem wise. Because there's no downside to pushing back the decision until the week before, we're still planning on going, but won't be shy about cancelling the trip as the time draws closer.

I’m reluctant because I’ve been adamant about limiting my trips outside the house and maintaining as much social distancing as reasonably possible. It would be hypocritical to abandon that so i could hang out on a beach.

Based on the number of people that are asymptomatic but test positive, I don’t want to be responsible for anybody unnecessarily contracting this and potentially dying.

Curious at which point would you change your position on this- when there is a vaccine?

Just keep the people from the north from coming down here and giving us all of their diseases please.

Curious at which point would you change your position on this- when there is a vaccine?

Widespread testing available over the counter would be one.

A sustained downward trend coupled with widespread testing.

Anyone taking a Memorial Day weekend getaway?

I wish there was someplace to get away to for Memorial Day. With HB going crazy and opening the beach, tens of thousands or more people will be descending upon us. I will be very surprised if there isn't a spike in June.

We drove 6 hours round trip today for a few socially distanced hours at the beach in the sun. It was so worth it.

Italy just announced they will begin inbound/outbound international travel as of June 3rd. So you can likely expect 90% of Europe to announce the same this week in the hopes of saving their summer travel season.

Canceled a Pinehurst trip late March. Canceled Scotland trip for late July. Not sure how we'll play it from here with travel. Not flying anywhere for sure. Will strongly entertain a beach trip or maybe mountain trip when the summer heat hits. Hard to figure out how to be as safe as possible but not a hermit. I'm a doctor so I really worry about getting my patients sick as an asymptomatic carrier. I'd be devastated if that happened. This shit is wild

Last edited:
This thread is depressing. We can't prevent every illness and every death but we could prevent a lot more of them than we're going to.

We split daycare duties with our neighbors who have a son in the same daycare (although we have now both switched daycares moving forward). We figured we are both isolating and daycare being daycare would have already been exposed to the same things.

They’re planning on going to the beach with the wife’s parents and sister and kids next week. It really defeats the whole purpose of everything we have been doing for the last 9 weeks.

I'm starting to get super nervous about my flights to/from Geneva next month. Swiss Air hasn't cancelled or modified the flights such that I can get a refund (has to be a change resulting in a 120 minute difference), and their rebooking policy would require me to book and complete my travel by the end of September, which isn't possible. All other aspects of the trip have been cancelled, but I may be out $6,500 if we can't get some relief on the flights. So far AmEx isn't helping and is simply saying that they abide by the airline's policy, but I'm hoping that when push comes to shove they will do something to help us out like they have in the past.

I'm starting to get super nervous about my flights to/from Geneva next month. Swiss Air hasn't cancelled or modified the flights such that I can get a refund (has to be a change resulting in a 120 minute difference), and their rebooking policy would require me to book and complete my travel by the end of September, which isn't possible. All other aspects of the trip have been cancelled, but I may be out $6,500 if we can't get some relief on the flights. So far AmEx isn't helping and is simply saying that they abide by the airline's policy, but I'm hoping that when push comes to shove they will do something to help us out like they have in the past.

Another airline about to go on the naughty list?

Had to cancel a mountain trip over Easter weekend.

My wife's family has a small place on Cape Cod that we go to every year. Our week is in mid-August, but we're not sure about going right now. Once we get there, we'd be fine - it's just us and the place is not rented out to anyone else ever (we usually share the weekends with her cousins' family, but we'd probably avoid that this year). But the 15 hour drive up doesn't seem wise. Because there's no downside to pushing back the decision until the week before, we're still planning on going, but won't be shy about cancelling the trip as the time draws closer.

My 74 year old mother wants to drive up to the Cape for Memorial Day for the traditional moving-in at the place my aunt rents. I told her this was stupid and she asked if I’d rather she flew. I told her both were stupid and I’d rather she did neither, but if she’s insistent I would want to drive up with her because I don’t want her driving 15 hours. She was like, I’ll stop at so-and-so’s, but no one is going to want to put up my mom, right?

This is all dumb, correct? And neither of us should go up there from NC until things settle down, or what? Am I being overly cautious?

Another airline about to go on the naughty list?

Not sure. Delta straight up tried to fuck me. They legit acted in bad faith and lied. I had an argument and I ultimately won. In this case I don't have much of an argument other than it would be a total dick move if they fuck me, but it wouldn't be the same kind of bad faith. I'm trying not to get too worked up right now since there isn't anything I can do until we get closer to the departure date. But it could get ugly and they could end up on the list.

I booked a trip for Denver in late June/early July but did it through Southwest so I can bail if need be.

My 74 year old mother wants to drive up to the Cape for Memorial Day for the traditional moving-in at the place my aunt rents. I told her this was stupid and she asked if I’d rather she flew. I told her both were stupid and I’d rather she did neither, but if she’s insistent I would want to drive up with her because I don’t want her driving 15 hours. She was like, I’ll stop at so-and-so’s, but no one is going to want to put up my mom, right?

This is all dumb, correct? And neither of us should go up there from NC until things settle down, or what? Am I being overly cautious?

This is all dumb, and you are correct. We’ll know a lot more in about two weeks, I suspect. Hopefully you don’t need to make that call before then.

Back