• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Summer Travel

HoosierDeac

Reaction score
Anyone here taking the leap and planning travel for this summer? Why or why not? And if yes, any guilt associated with the decision? Non-political responses only, please.

We had RT tickets to Amsterdam ($500.50 each) for the last week of August but the couple we were going with backed out. I was comfortable keeping the trip but ultimately we decided to take the travel voucher from United for the full value of our flights.

Sooo we may still travel, we may not. TBD. My wife is a nurse at Novant and I work with medical software, am in/out of pediatric facilities multiple times a month. No guilt on our side

Supposed to go to New Orleans for Memorial Day Weekend. That's a no-brainer to cancel. May book a house down at Pawley's and just relax on the beach and play golf (social distanced of course). Wedding in NYC already canceled for July. We've got the travel itch bad, but won't be booking any big trips until there's some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.

We have not booked anything but may consider a beach house rental in later summer.

My parents are relocating near us on a lake and I imagine most travel will be limited to there - if at all.

I feel like you could fairly guilt free travel to a vacation house you owned or like, go camping, but almost anything else is irresponsible.

Lots of interesting moral/ethical questions- how far does the irresponsibility/selfishness sentiment extend? If those who are vulnerable distance themselves, and everyone else voluntarily chooses to get back out there, is it selfish/irresponsible to do so? If so, until what specific point in time?

I'm really torn. I want to take my kids to visit my parents at the beach for July 4th, but they are both 65+ and I don't have the ability to work from home and isolate for two weeks before going.

Cancelled an early summer trip. Almost certainly going to cancel a later summer trip. That one could be done without much added risk except the flying, which is not trivial. Instead we may take a road trip where we do backcountry camping the entire time.

don't do it
reconsider
read some litera-
-ture on the subject

Booked a house for a week on the Outer Banks post Labor Day. Just me, my wife and my parents. Easy drive obviously and we can be totally self-contained there if required. Majorly feeling the travel itch after two months inside after having cancelled trips to Colombia/Peru, Denver, Austin and Sonoma already this year. But as others have said unwilling to commit to traveling further afield until we have some more certainty.

Was supposed to be in Montreal now but of course that got cancelled. I have a trip to South Dakota booked which is still up in the air. I feel we can do that pretty responsibly since the plan is to see the badlands and black hills. We shouldn't be around many people and there hasn't been much transmission in that part of the country. Only concern is going through the airport. I can cancel the flight for free and haven't booked the hotel yet.

Going To Lake Lure with immediate family in a month and not leaving house unless to boat on lake.

Would like to go somewhere late summer further up in mountains with wife and a friend or two, but unsure if that is a good call or not. Half the dilemma is how clean and sterilized is the property you want to rent and how much time would you use self cleaning it before you felt comfortable.

Honestly I don't necessarily buy the high transmission potential of surfaces to infection over X amount of time. Like in a normal setting of a person leaves a rental after a week on a Sunday morning, and you arrive say 8 hours later unless you are going around licking surfaces your risk is almost zero. Sure if you go around and swab surfaces and try your hardest you can pick something up but detection does not mean transmissible, the ability to infect is not a 1 to 1 ratio, more like 1,000 to 10,000 to 1 ratio. The time factor is huge, not nearly the same as elevator buttons or door handles say at a hotel. Also if you are really worried about it get the rental for a week and then don't arrive until a full day later and your rental should be good to go. With that said, you wouldnt be able to do anything but chill at the rental or boat/beach by yourself and family without added exposure risk.

For those who are reluctant, is it mostly because of fear of personal risk? What does your internal risk calculation look like? So for instance let's say you are a healthy person in your 40's, and it appears that the mortality rate for people 40-49 is around 0.4% and if those who have underlying conditions have a higher rate of mortality, you figure that your personal mortality risk as a healthy ~40 y/o is about 0.2%. So basically if you get it, you have a 1 in 500 chance of dying? Would that calculus be a big deterrent?

Still optimistic on going to a beach house rental in about a month (where we generally shop for groceries once or twice and just go between beach and house every day)

For those who are reluctant, is it mostly because of fear of personal risk? What does your internal risk calculation look like? So for instance let's say you are a healthy person in your 40's, and it appears that the mortality rate for people 40-49 is around 0.4% and if those who have underlying conditions have a higher rate of mortality, you figure that your personal mortality risk as a healthy ~40 y/o is about 0.2%. So basically if you get it, you have a 1 in 500 chance of dying? Would that calculus be a big deterrent?

I don't know of many people under 50 who are concerned with coronavirus as it relates to their own health. It's about stopping the spread through society which will cause death or severe complications for hundreds of thousands or more of our elderly and immunocompromised (and potential long term damage to many others). I personally think things like AirBnB will be the first phase of resuming more "normal" travel for many in the US who don't want to interact with people in hotels or busier public areas. Other countries which have been able to reduce the number of cases and contact trace will be in a position to resume more regular travel plans. Some will continue to keep their borders closed to avoid people bringing cases in and others will likely need the tourism money so desperately that they'll see secondary waves of infection.

Was supposed to leave a month from yesterday for a trip to Geneva and Burgundy for my parents 50th. Sucks that we have to cancel since we put a fair amount of work into the trip. We’re hopefully going to reschedule for October.

We took an epic trip to France, England and Scotland last summer so hadn't planed on traveling much this summer anyway, but I am certain we would be canceling any and all travel plans. My wife is freaked out that we are all going to die.

Back