• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mac McClung updates

https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-mac-mcclungs-transfer-options-231047363.html

One (local DC) writer's opinion on Mac's list of schools. Amazingly about 25% of the rankings are listed as "unknown." I think it might be time to send in OGB's secret weapon to the article's comment section.

EDIT:
ETSU "insider" Marky whatever seems salty still...

Last edited:
https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-mac-mcclungs-transfer-options-231047363.html

One (local DC) writer's opinion on Mac's list of schools. Amazingly about 25% of the rankings are listed as "unknown." I think it might be time to send in OGB's secret weapon to the article's comment section.

EDIT:
ETSU "insider" Marky whatever seems salty still...
That was a dumb article that felt like it was written to cash a paycheck. It said nothing of note that wasn't already vaguely common information. Next to zero research involved.
I don't know why Yahoo published a Deadspin article, but it looks like they did.
Markey probably ghostwrote it.

I honestly have no idea why Wake fans are so hung up on Texas Tech. If it's because the Texas Tech jersey was first in his tweet loop and that Mahomes tweet, then good lord y'all it's the internet.

I think we're still in a pretty good position to land him, tbh. He would immediately be the best player on our roster, imo, and would play point guard with almost free reign on offense, on a rebuilding ACC team for a coach that recruited him out of high school.

Who is hung up on TT? I see people pointing out that the reigning Super Bowl MVP tweeted at McClung and it would be great if pro athletes tweeted at him for us.

And apparently there was a TT roster change.

Seems par for the course for a recruiting thread.

I honestly have no idea why Wake fans are so hung up on Texas Tech. If it's because the Texas Tech jersey was first in his tweet loop and that Mahomes tweet, then good lord y'all it's the internet.

I think we're still in a pretty good position to land him, tbh. He would immediately be the best player on our roster, imo, and would play point guard with almost free reign on offense, on a rebuilding ACC team for a coach that recruited him out of high school.

People read more into stuff like that than I do recruits and their insta stories and twitter likes.

I personally think the ones to beat are Memphis and Auburn but I am un lowly pleb

*back to searching for football recruits*

The reasons I'm concerned about Texas Tech are

1) Chris Beard is likely the best coach among McClung's final choices (he's at least had the most success at the highest level of the group). He's also a proven recruiter. He put Jarret Culver in the NBA lottery last year & has another guard (FR Jahmi'us Ramsey) projected as a NBA draft pick this summer. The only downside to Beard is that he may not be @ TT when Mac becomes eligible as he will be among the top options for any elite job openings.

2) Texas Tech is probably the best basketball program on his list right now. Beard doesn't have to sell a rebuild. All of the other coaches on the list have less time at their current school & have some level of rebuilding still to be completed. Mac is more likely to step into a top 25 program @ TT in 2 seasons than any of his other choices.

They seem like pretty obvious reasons to think TT may have an advantage w/ Mac & have nothing to do w/ Mahomes or jersey orders

edit = upon reflection, Pearl/Auburn are similar to Beard/TT in points above

Last edited:
He’s a showman that wants crowds. I’m worried about Memphis.

Don’t disagree, but if past crowds are an issue , I assume we match up poorly with all the final seven. Other than the the obvious selling point of our new staff, you want a kid who grew up wanting to compete on Tobacco Road , and didn’t get the chance out of high school . Someone who relishes paving the way for a resurgent program, similar to Rodgers and Childress in the early 90’s.

Yeah. If the kid from Gate City wants to take on VT, UVa, UNC, and Duke, he can do that and be coached by a guy who was at nearby Johnson City for years.

But if he wants to play for an established program and take on Tennessee and Kentucky, Auburn is a good plan.

The reasons I'm concerned about Texas Tech are

1) Chris Beard is likely the best coach among McClung's final choices (he's at least had the most success at the highest level of the group). He's also a proven recruiter. He put Jarret Culver in the NBA lottery last year & has another guard (FR Jahmi'us Ramsey) projected as a NBA draft pick this summer. The only downside to Beard is that he may not be @ TT when Mac becomes eligible as he will be among the top options for any elite job openings.

2) Texas Tech is probably the best basketball program on his list right now. Beard doesn't have to sell a rebuild. All of the other coaches on the list have less time at their current school & have some level of rebuilding still to be completed. Mac is more likely to step into a top 25 program @ TT in 2 seasons than any of his other choices.

They seem like pretty obvious reasons to think TT may have an advantage w/ Mac & have nothing to do w/ Mahomes or jersey orders

edit = upon reflection, Pearl/Auburn are similar to Beard/TT in points above

The difference between Auburn and TT is that Tech has an open spot, whereas Auburn doesn’t. I think it comes down to Wake and Texas Tech. The sell for Wake is that the kid could be the star, run the show, and have a chance to get us to the tournament after (a more than likely) sit out year. He would also get to develop more under Forbes, and have a pretty nice facility to practice at. I agree with you devi, my only concern is Texas Tech.

Can Neath and McClung coexist in the same backcourt at the same time? After another season the team should belong to Neath. How will Mac feel about that, especially if he has to sit a season?

Can Neath and McClung coexist in the same backcourt at the same time? After another season the team should belong to Neath. How will Mac feel about that, especially if he has to sit a season?

Yes/Shrug

Neath is not as talented as the guards at TT or Auburn.

Back