• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mac McClung updates

Never been to Lubbock, but it's up in the pan handle which is basically Oklahoma. I don't think it needs to be said, it's gross.

I do however no a bunch of very attractive females that attended TT so it does have that going for it.

Never been to Lubbock, but it's up in the pan handle which is basically Oklahoma. I don't think it needs to be said, it's gross.

I do however no a bunch of very attractive females that attended TT so it does have that going for it.

Subtle typo reversing your premise. Well done.

2&2 missed UVa over TT? That was a great game.

He's perma stuck in 1996.

Beard took the TT program to the moon, in almost no time.

In the 9 seasons before Beard took over the Red Raiders, they went to one NCAA tournament. They never had a winning conference record during that stretch. Texas Tech was about as an irrelevant of a Power 6 program as there was as they had been the worst Big 12 program since the conference realigned. The Red Raiders were a collective 72 games under .500 in Big 12 play over those 9 years.

Beard's first year, TT went 18-14 (6-12). Since then, Beard has gone 75-30 (34-20 in the Big 12); two elite 8s, one final 4, and OT loss in the national finals. While I don't expect a path as meteoric, it just shows what a great coach can do.

1000%. There's no reason we can't attain the success they or UVa have achieved recently. Get a stud coach and anything is possible

Not quite in the panhandle, not really close to OK either, certainly not close to OK City. Hard to be more middle of nowhere than it is

Last edited:
Dunking by 6’2” guards who can’t shoot is overrated. Charlie Davis, Skip Brown, Mugsy and Randolph Childress couldn’t dunk. CP3 can barely dunk. Yeah, Teague is a great dunker but he his quickness, defensive ability, shooting and ball skills are elite. If he can’t shoot the 3 and is a high volume shooter, I don’t see that losing him is a great loss.

It’s pretty much dead center of what is considered the Texas panhandle.

https://wikitravel.org/en/Panhandle_(Texas)

That link seems to indicate it is in the middle of the panhandle and plains with “and plains” being the Lubbock-relevant part. I would assume the panhandle is just the rectangle extending North. Lubbock is not within that. Is there a reason the panhandle is considered to extend beyond the geographic handle?

The skyline of Lubbock is actually very similar in size and scope to the skyline in Winston. Populations are roughly the same and both have power 5 schools. Only big disparity is the population of neighboring cities and proximity to large cities. Biggest difference for McClung is obviously the distance from his hometown and solid foundation for the basketball program already being in place. A lateral move in almost every sense other than those. Don’t get the people who think Winston is so much better than Lubbock. It’s not.

The skyline of Lubbock is actually very similar in size and scope to the skyline in Winston. Populations are roughly the same and both have power 5 schools. Only big disparity is the population of neighboring cities and proximity to large cities. Biggest difference for McClung is obviously the distance from his hometown and solid foundation for the basketball program already being in place. A lateral move in almost every sense other than those. Don’t get the people who think Winston is so much better than Lubbock. It’s not.

Winston is much better than Lubbock because of the big disparity you mentioned. It’s a nice place to live if you want a small city where you can still drive to bigger cities on the occasions you need to. Winston plopped in the middle of fucking nowhere would be awful, and that’s what Lubbock is.

Winston is much better than Lubbock because of the big disparity you mentioned. It’s a nice place to live if you want a small city where you can still drive to bigger cities on the occasions you need to. Winston plopped in the middle of fucking nowhere would be awful, and that’s what Lubbock is.

Well that’s just like, your opinion man...

As a Wake alum and having a son who graduated from Texas Tech last spring I can say that Lubbock is a pretty solid college town with very friendly people (like Winston-Salem). McClung is going there because of Coach Beard who is a proven winner whose demonstrated he can build a team to compete at the highest level. As soon as I heard we were up against Tech I told my son McClung was going to choose Tech, especially since their star guard Moretti announced yesterday he was leaving to play professionally in Italy. Tech presents a much higher chance of playing on a winner in the short term. Forbes will need time to rebuild the Wake program and I’m all in on him as our coach.

As a Wake alum and having a son who graduated from Texas Tech last spring I can say that Lubbock is a pretty solid college town with very friendly people (like Winston-Salem). McClung is going there because of Coach Beard who is a proven winner whose demonstrated he can build a team to compete at the highest level. As soon as I heard we were up against Tech I told my son McClung was going to choose Tech, especially since their star guard Moretti announced yesterday he was leaving to play professionally in Italy. Tech presents a much higher chance of playing on a winner in the short term. Forbes will need time to rebuild the Wake program and I’m all in on him as our coach.
Let’s be honest, Lubbock is a crazy college town compared to Winston.

The guy wants to go to the NBA. So he picks the easy school with a better program right now, and oh by the way there are tons of beautiful girls, and he’ll be a God on campus. It’s disappointing but it’s not much of a surprise either.

Let's shut this thread down now. It has no relevance to Wake Forest Basketball anymore. And while we're at it, shut down the Sarr thread too.

Always thought TT had a cool mascot in that masked cowboy riding a black stallion... Pistol Pete, right?

It's almost as if the school with the best looking women, or highest volume of hot women, has a leg up in these recruiting battles.

It's almost as if the school with the best looking women, or highest volume of hot women, has a leg up in these recruiting battles.

Or the school with the best coach who made the last two Elite Eights and was the last runner-up.

Either one.

Back