• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mac McClung updates

uhh, yeah I guess so. LD was a great dunker and really good defender who was completely average or below at every other aspect of basketball (although he had leadership intangibles that were also valuable.) . Mcclung seems to shoot a lot more than LD and at a much lower percentage, have
worse rebounding numbers than LD and has an assist to turnover ratio that is not so great for a guard. I have no idea about his defense as I barely watched WFU the past two years , much less Georgetown. So...would I take McClung? Hell yeah, he would give us a lot of positive momentum going forward with his name recognition, but I just speculate that he will have some holes in his game in between some sportscenter top 10 dunks. Most transfers from P6 schools do have some holes in their game or else they wouldn't be transfers ( generalization of course).

Beachbum makes an excellent point though about how a good coach can get guys to buy in, so if McClung commits to WFU, I'll be excited. The guy is an exciting player.

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with what you say. McClung would be a great addition. A limited numbers of flaws is not a disqualifier. LD and Scooter Banks were 2 of my favorite Deacs. Going really old school, Paul Silas and Len Elmore were also guys I enjoyed watching. My own rec league game back in the day was pretty much limited to defense and rebounding so I'm not here to throw stones.

Mac is a very high usage player and could work on his shooting for sure (27% from 3 as a Frosh, 32% last year). He is always going to be a guy who takes a lot of shots to score his points, but he has shown that he can really be a game-changer when he does this. In three wins over Syracuse, SMU, and Oklahoma State, he scored 78 points (26 PPG), on 49 shots (12/25 from 3).

The fact that he doesn't turn the ball over very much and still has such a high usage rate is a testament to his shot volume. He's definitely a streaky player, but comparing him to LD Williams is just way off in my opinion. They can both dunk, but that's about it.

Someone on this board actually compared an all big east frosh who averaged 16 ppg and will someday be drafted in the NBA to LD Williams, i cant even anymore.

After James Akinjo, Galen Alexander and Josh LeBlanc transferred early last season under murky circumstances, G'town was down to 8 scholarship players. Further, Omer Yurtseven missed several games because of injury. G'town had essentially no scoring options except for McClung. Even with a really short roster look at some of the games that G'town won with McClung leading them (without Akinjo, Alexander and LeBlanc):

- Texas by 16 (McClung had 19 points)
- OK State by 7 (McClung had 33)
- Cuse by 10 (McClung had 26)
- Creighton by 3 (McClung had 19)
- St. John's by 19 (McClung had 24)

FWIW, when McClung did not play (or played less than 5 minutes because of injury), G'town went 3-9. When he did play G'town was 12-8. They were a bubble team before McClung got hurt, but finished the season on a 7 game losing streak with Mac out of the lineup.

Not trying to disparage others, but the Mac McClung to LD Williams comparison is idiotic. McClung can carry a team with marginal other talent to wins over solid teams. He is a player. BTW, McClung was banged up all year; so, if he can get healthy, he will be even better when he returns.

Last edited:
In DC and married to a Georgetown alum, so watched a decent amount of McClung the past two years. A few impressions:

-The dynamic between he and departed Georgetown PG James Akinjo seemed strained. They both were in the same class and were PG-sized guards with shoot-first mentalities and pretty inefficient percentages (though otherwise different games) and it seemed like they never meshed well.

-After Akinjo announced he was transferring last December, eventually to Arizona, McClung played his best stretch of games for the next month or so. Seemed much more in control of when to pick his spots, shot a much better %, and seemed to be comfortable being the unquestioned lead scoring guard.

-The bottom started to fall out of his season and Georgetown's season in late Jan. McClung got injured around the same time and there were and are some odd dynamics with the coaching staff (side note - the Ewing and Manning trajectories as coaches are really interesting parallels, beyond just the similarities of former college legends and #1 picks). Not sure where the blame lies entirely.

-Obvious from video, but worth restating just how jaw dropping his athleticism can be. Best analogy I can think of is Georgetown era and early NBA Iverson in terms of the short dude with springs that lead to rim violence (not carrying the Iverson analogy too far...just in terms of the "dunk from out of no where" type displays)

-Overall, Wake should be incredibly happy if McClung arrives. Always felt like he was a guy who had an incredibly high ceiling if he could figure out when to pick his spots and get coached up. Pretty active defender and a game that's conducive to a Forbes style as well.

-Cmon, LD Williams? Love that guy but that's a weak comp.

6'4 ish LD Williams?

Who's next 6'5 Trent Strickland?

More like 6'2 ish McClung is explosive kind of like Jeff Teague (6'2 ish) was. Different body types, but similar explosiveness.

6'4 ish LD Williams?

Who's next 6'5 Trent Strickland?

More like 6'2 ish McClung is explosive kind of like Jeff Teague (6'2 ish) was. Different body types, but similar explosiveness.

Was just about to say that he seems much closer to Teague than LD.

I sense many here are planting the seeds for their sour grapes when the kid inevitably chooses to go somewhere else.

I mean, we're still waiting on a Top 10 list from the kid... It's hard to feel too confident in his committing to Wake Forest.

And so where did this idea come from that he might be headed here? Feels a lot like wishful thinking to me.

And so where did this idea come from that he might be headed here? Feels a lot like wishful thinking to me.

Reports are that the staff is making a strong push... But I'm sure there are dozens of teams doing the same thing.

Speculation is that location, the ACC, and a prior relationship w/ Forbes will all help. But who knows.

247 Basketball Recruiting Guru Evan Daniels thought that WF would be a good fit based upon a number of factors, but it sounded like that WF/McClung connection was not based on anything other speculation. To my knowledge, McClung hasn't publicly discussed his leaders. From reports, essentially everyone is trying to get involved. So, no one school, even TN, is known to be leading.

There's an Auburn podcast that claims to have source that McClung is deciding between Auburn and Memphis as his top 2 and that he's leaning towards Auburn.

No idea if they actually know what they're talking about.

Back