• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The QB School - What is the RPO Slow Mesh?

Some of us old dogs remember when we’d be begging for 8-win seasons as a norm.

I was going to say - 8 wins a year ain't awful. Plus, that is not his ceiling. He will catch lightning in a bottle one year or more than that.

Really weak take to claim that WF's offense limits Clawson's teams to an 8 win ceiling. That presupposes that WF would/should win more games than it did: 10? 12? with some other kind of offense. WF isn't beating Clemson because they are loaded (57-5 over the last 5 years; 34-2 against the ACC), not because of some scheme. As for everyone else, WF's coaching, "scheme" and talent allows WF to win more of the games against similarly situated teams (Duke, UNC, State, BC, Cuse) than it loses. That's the goal when you are coaching.

If WF did whatever everyone else does, then talent alone (or the other team's innovative schemes and coaching techniques) would decide WF's record. Clawson knows that in the long run that does not work at WF. WF has to be different to be successful and WF is (and will continue to be).

Last edited:
Couple more things to unpack. Wolford and Hartman (when on) run the RPO much faster than Newman. Additionally, we can all agree that there needs to be some better/more varied play calling against elite defenses. That's 100% the case. Doesn't mean it's not one of the most dynamic base offenses to keep running. And if Clawson can recruit/coach up OL that can hold blocks longer against those elite defenses, the RPO will be successful as well.

This thread is just like the game threads where certain posters would shit all over the offensive scheme and how awful the RPO was and how our RB's kept getting blown up in the backfield... Then we'd put up record offensive numbers in both rushing and passing.

The most painful offensive system to watch in college football for an entire season

I'd rather we ran the triple option

He does nothing but complain about football. We’ve broken records for 3 straight years and he complains

It’s good to see that marriage and an impending child hasn’t changed Brasky’s terrible takes.

This guy wore a bolo with a short sleeve button down because ...

If you dig into the numbers our offensive stats last year were deceiving because we ran so many plays. Our yards-per-play was actually in the bottom half of FBS football teams. So our actual offensive efficiency wasn't as good as the total offense numbers would suggest.

I think the combination of the slow RPO and over utilizing Carney made our running attack pretty inept for good portions of the year last year. And our offense did lack some creativity at certain points last year. Not much to attack the edges.

Last edited:
If you dig into the numbers our offensive stats last year were deceiving because we ran so many plays. Our yards-per-play was actually in the bottom half of FCS football teams. So our actual offensive efficiency wasn't as good as the total offense numbers would suggest.

I think the combination of the slow RPO and over utilizing Carney made our running attack pretty inept for good portions of the year last year. And our offense did lack some creativity at certain points last year. Not much to attack the edges.

Damn, I hope Wake didn't get dropped to FCS because of this.

Part of the offense losing creativity was the injuries to Sage, Scotty and Jamie. It's hard to be creative when your top three weapons are nicked up or out.

Part of the offense losing creativity was the injuries to Sage, Scotty and Jamie. It's hard to be creative when your top three weapons are nicked up or out.

It’s also harder to avoid injuries when you run so many plays

i like the topic but geez the video was kinda lame. he just kept saying "i don't know what's going on here". was expecting better analysis.

The only person more confused about our offense than this dude is Coach Gut.

Maybe we are winning 8 games BECAUSE of the offensive philosophy, not in spite of it.

I like the way you think :)
It has seemed to get Wake out of the basement and until ALL teams figure out how to stop it I am good with running it. I was a bit surprised when I watched "a little" of Clawson's offense prior to Wake he looked to run the I-formation. It would be nice to really mix it up next year against Clemson. They are just too good for the RPO to be successful. I hate to admit it but I feel UNC may be a lot better in the coming years.
RPO:
When it works it is a thing of beauty.
When it doesn't it is laughable.

I like the way you think :)
It has seemed to get Wake out of the basement and until ALL teams figure out how to stop it I am good with running it. I was a bit surprised when I watched "a little" of Clawson's offense prior to Wake he looked to run the I-formation. It would be nice to really mix it up next year against Clemson. They are just too good for the RPO to be successful. I hate to admit it but I feel UNC may be a lot better in the coming years.
RPO:
When it works it is a thing of beauty.
When it doesn't it is laughable.

Your last two sentences are true of almost any offense.

The key to stopping the RPO is crashing the center of the O-line and disrupting the mesh point. Clemson has had and will continue to have some of the best D-line guys in the country. They simply overpower Wake's interior O-line. It's hard for a QB to do much when his guard or center is on top of him.

I had not noticed the butt block from the QB before. Makes sense to add an extra run blocker when we're often over matched at the O-line and buy some time for downfield throws. As to the hits, I don't think your QB is taking any more hits than he does if you're running a traditional RPO offense, ours is just getting hit blocking with his ass, while others are getting hit in the knees getting wide. That said, any RPO offense, where your qb is designed to be one of the lead rushers, is going to get your qb killed eventually.

Back